Sign in to follow this  
Hayden

Surprised at Greens salary

I read with interest today that Rob Green''s salary was circa £8,000 a week. Assuming he was one of the top earners at the club (if not the biggest considering his time here and England status) it puts into perspective what we can offer as a club and how little chance we have of fending of Premiership offers for players.....personal terms will not be a problem!!!! I would guess that other players near Greenos salary are Earnie, Drury, Hucks & Fleming?

What it does show is that Sutton, reportedly on £40k a week is a bit out of our distance even if he is willing to take a pay cut (would he instantly gain top salary status I wonder????) and if he was on a pay per play and stayed fit he would shatter our salary structure. The other way of looking at it I suppose is that now that Rob and soon to be Leons salary is off the bill, we could have cash to play with but we should not compromise what is obviously a pretty tight salary structure  for anything.

I think this is the sort of thing the board have been saying but no-one takes any notice! of course we can''t compete with bigger / richer clubs. To be honest I''d be satisfied with 8 grand a week to pay footy, we can all dream.

Did we not write relagation clauses into players contracts?

Maybe he was geting more in the Prem?

Then again £8,000 a week sounds good to me for standing between two sticks and certainly enough to afford a haircut!

It''s funny but when I saw the figure I thought, "That’s Low".  Then you realise that £8k is a massive wage in the real world which equates to an annual salary of £400k+.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]to be fair to the fella, he probably loses 200k of that in tax and national insurance.  Unless he''s got a really good accountant.[/quote]

still, 200 grand per annum is a lot more than what i''m on, I also do more than 90 mins work a week!

[quote user="blahblahblah"]to be fair to the fella, he probably loses 200k of that in tax and national insurance.  Unless he''s got a really good accountant.[/quote]I fail to see how, we don''t have a 50% tax bracket, even for those sort of earnings. (mores the pity!)Besides, its not "losing" 200k, its paying in to the same pot we all pay into, hes just priveleged enough to be eligable to pay that much.Its the one thing about football that bugs me, 20,000+ people earning less a year than a lot of footballers earn in a month paying far too much money to go and watch them.Football clubs, agents, Sky and all the other rotten apples in the barrel are no better than drug dealers in that respect. They know football is something in the blood for a lot of us, and they have no qualms about screwing us.I''d pay ''em all a flat rate and let them make up the rest with sponsorship in designated areas on the kit.If they want to do voiceovers that sound like a 8 year old reading from a script (ala Michael Owen) then thats cool too. Just don''t see why the supporters should have to keep paying for the frankly obscene salary increases we''ve seen over the last 20 years.And another thing! Terracing. Why did we all buy the lie that terracing was outlawed under the Taylor report? (again meaning we pay through the nose) It wasn''t outlawed at all, certain safety regulations were introduced regarding it, but once again supporters were fleeced by clubs seeing "a nice little earner" in converting to all-seater.I need to calm down, once I get going on this stuff I could go on all night....

Cheerio, to Rob Greeno and his celery - only 69p a bunch in Somerfields. Now, what else can we discuss?

Oh! Welcome to Marty''s missus hangin'' the washin'' out............Nice! [:P]

Sorry Herb old chap, I was working unfer the assumption of 40% tax for, er, let''s see, 365k of the money, plus national insurance, which is what, I guess 12 % ?

I tend to eat beans rather than count them though, so you''re probably better qualified than I to say whether I''m wrong :)

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

Sorry Herb old chap, I was working unfer the assumption of 40% tax for, er, let''s see, 365k of the money, plus national insurance, which is what, I guess 12 % ?

I tend to eat beans rather than count them though, so you''re probably better qualified than I to say whether I''m wrong :)

[/quote]£400k a year - Income tax paid would be approx £152,000 and National Insurance would be about £6,800 :)  Oh and the club would have to fork out about £50,500 in Employers'' National Insurance also.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Cheerio, to Rob Greeno and his celery - only 69p a bunch in Somerfields. Now, what else can we discuss?

Oh! Welcome to Marty''s missus hangin'' the washin'' out............Nice! [:P]

[/quote]

Mello, I''ve passed that on the the missus but there is one problem..................

I don''t like celery!

=======================================================================

£400k a year - Income tax paid would be approx £152,000 and National Insurance would be about £6,800 :)  Oh and the club would have to fork out about £50,500 in Employers'' National Insurance also.
Stevie

Well , lets say its [ very roughly ]   about £4,700  a week , take home pay  ?   given that its possible  that  £2000  a week  is spent  on bills  and other outgoings  [ flash cars  etc :o) ]    that would leave  £2,700  a week  in the bank   accruing  compound interest  ?    your good with the figures , what interest would that accrue  in a year ?

A guy could easily  buy  a hundred premium bonds  a week  on that screw  , and not even notice it  [ that should please Alan Sugar ! ]   the odds on winning  increase  as you get more bonds,  in a year  that could mean   you have 5200  bonds  !   ten years  of that , and we have  52,000  bonds  !!   all with a potential  of winning   many thousands of pounds ....  nice !   

[quote user="sheded"]

£400k a year - Income tax paid would be approx £152,000 and National Insurance would be about £6,800 :)  Oh and the club would have to fork out about £50,500 in Employers'' National Insurance also.
Stevie

Well , lets say its [ very roughly ]   about £4,700  a week , take home pay  ?   given that its possible  that  £2000  a week  is spent  on bills  and other outgoings  [ flash cars  etc :o) ]    that would leave  £2,700  a week  in the bank   accruing  compound interest  ?    your good with the figures , what interest would that accrue  in a year ?

A guy could easily  buy  a hundred premium bonds  a week  on that screw  , and not even notice it  [ that should please Alan Sugar ! ]   the odds on winning  increase  as you get more bonds,  in a year  that could mean   you have 5200  bonds  !   ten years  of that , and we have  52,000  bonds  !!   all with a potential  of winning   many thousands of pounds ....  nice !   

[/quote]

You can only own £30k worth of Premium Bonds. 

I do find it strange that some people almost appear to be sympathetic to Green over his "low" wages.

It''s a nice wage.

But he''s an athlete.  And a local celebrity.  And these positions come with their own pressures.

Footballers occupy a unique position, and it''s all sky''s fault.

[quote user="Herb"]Its the one thing about football that bugs

me, 20,000+ people earning less a year than a lot of footballers earn

in a month paying far too much money to go and watch them.Football

clubs, agents, Sky and all the other rotten apples in the barrel are no

better than drug dealers in that respect. They know football is

something in the blood for a lot of us, and they have no qualms about

screwing us.I''d pay ''em all a flat rate and let them make up the rest with sponsorship in designated areas on the kit.If

they want to do voiceovers that sound like a 8 year old reading from a

script (ala Michael Owen) then thats cool too. Just don''t see why the

supporters should have to keep paying for the frankly obscene salary

increases we''ve seen over the last 20 years.And another thing!

Terracing. Why did we all buy the lie that terracing was outlawed under

the Taylor report? (again meaning we pay through the nose) It wasn''t

outlawed at all, certain safety regulations were introduced regarding

it, but once again supporters were fleeced by clubs seeing "a nice

little earner" in converting to all-seater.I need to calm down, once I get going on this stuff I could go on all night....[/quote]

I''m with you entirely there Herb, it doesn''t really sit well on my

conscience that this goes on on a weekly basis, and we still all fall

for it (and probably always will).  There''s far too much money in

the game, which is annoying when the likes of York City really do

have no money to spend.  At all.  They can barely afford to

bake the half-time pies!  They don''t own their own ground, and

everyone who works on the day is an unpaid volunteer. 

Except for the players.  I have no idea how much York players are

paid, but I wonder what their reaction would be if the club asked them

to play as "unpaid volunteers for the love of the club".  I reckon

you''d see a Clayton Donaldson-shaped hole in the wall (which unpaid

volunteers would have to repair).

And York have terraces, too...