Sign in to follow this  
Hardhouse44

We still need new players

What a great performance on Tuesday. Long may it last. However we should not sit in a laurels we still need new players. I still have my doubts that players like Robinson & Etuhu can turn in performances like that week in week out, but even if they can the squad is still desperately in need of back up. A striker would be the top of my list as either cover for or to partner Earnshaw. Leon gives his all but is not a natural goal scorer and the other strikers simple aren’t of any quality. I include Javis in that statement. The boy should be released by the club so he can drop down a division or two where his lack of pace and strength will be less of a handicap. Midfield cover would also be on my wish list.

I feel that our defence despite the massive amount of goals we shipped in last term is not too bad. It was evident to me on Tuesday that our goals conceded ratio was directly linked to the amount of pressure the poor over worked back four were under last year. our midfield ran the game on Tuesday and as a result in the pressure on the defence was much less. Lets face it any defence in the world will let in goals eventually if there under sustained pressure without back up from the midfield.

The chances of prolonged success will rely on many factors but I feel Injury will play the largest part. It is unrealistic to expect to go the whole season without injuries and I feel it will be our lack of depth that will hold us back. Hopefully a good start may be a factor in attracting new blood either before this window closes or in the January window if we are riding high. I understand that the money is tight but some speculation to accumulate must be under taken if we are to ever get out of this league again.

Without new players that we were promised buy the club, last Tuesdays fabulous performance could turn out to be a false dawn.

OTBC

How about Ryan Jarvis as midfield cover? Flashes of genius but I agree he hasn''t yet fulfilled his promise as a striker - not enough bits & pieces type goals. But he has got loads of talent; what chance of developing him to fulfil a Trevor Brooking type mid-field role?

Hard house!! I like your post and it''s contents, a sane set of balanced observations.  One point I would add is that it would seem prudent to enlist two or three experienced players in their mid twenties, from a lower division, who have a point to prove.  They would not be expensive and if they got their chances and played well it might just add to their own value as footballers and give them and us a valuable chance for the future at not too much a drain on the bank.

[quote user="Yellow Shrimper"]How about Ryan Jarvis as midfield cover? Flashes of genius but I agree he hasn''t yet fulfilled his promise as a striker - not enough bits & pieces type goals. But he has got loads of talent; what chance of developing him to fulfil a Trevor Brooking type mid-field role?[/quote]

He hasnt been given the chance! Look at when he does get into the team, Liverpool match, Luton match, it is very rare that he gets a game but if he did i bet he would do just fine!

Strength in depth is definitely lacking......and, if we are to mount a ''serious'' promotion challenge we certainly do require a "Few Good Men"........

Good post Hardhouse.....[Y]

The balance of the squad remains wrong - too many strikers and too few of everything else.  In defence we only have Flem as a covering centre half and MLJ at right back; in central midfield we have Hughes;  on the flanks we have out of position options.  A couple of injuries to just about any of the starting 11 will cause us problems. 

Yes we do have youth players but while they should be an option we cant afford to rely on them for a 15-20 run if needed - they need to be brought on slowly and allowed to be rested when possible.  Using them as we did Flem on Tuesday really - a few minutes here and there at the end of games when either the game is already out of reach or already secure...  

[quote user="Yellow Shrimper"]How about Ryan Jarvis as midfield cover? Flashes of genius but I agree he hasn''t yet fulfilled his promise as a striker - not enough bits & pieces type goals. But he has got loads of talent; what chance of developing him to fulfil a Trevor Brooking type mid-field role?[/quote]

For two seasons, maybe three, we''ve had everyone united in the right wing problem and square peg, round hole, and yet here you are suggesting a weak forward play in the middle of the park. Surely Rossi Jarvis is a better option - he looked good against Brum in teh cup, and critically is a midfielder!