Sign in to follow this  
Jerzy Krukowski

Henderson is our right winger-official

A friend of mine had a candid chat with a senior city coach after the Camb friendly and was told that new signings from outside the club were never the highest priority this summer (no surprise given the lack of new faces) as we have enough youth talent to revitalise the 1st team and that the intention is that Henderson will be the regular right winger this season. A bold move to blood the youth or a shambolic way to avoid spending money on proven talent? Guess we''ll all find out....

Placing the faith in a youngster would be admirable if it wasn''t for the fact that Hendo is a striker...

Well is he not a striker by trade?

If thats true SPat, then I will be worried. Still every dog has his day and maybe he''s performing on the training pitch, lets just hope he translates it on the real pitch where it matters..

Still I reckon there''s more chance of you SPat making a kick-off on time, than Henderson playing there all season! An in-joke with SPat for those in the know!

[quote user="Paul Rankin"]people can say what they want but IMO Andy Hughes will be first choice Right Winger next season followed by McVeigh then Hendo...[/quote]

Unfortunately Paul, I have to agree with you there.  Worthy would put Hughes and Robinson in Central Defence just to avoid having to drop them...

I like Henderson and although i believed we do need some better midfield players than what we ahve, i wouldnt be dissapointed too see him given the chance. Remember 2004/05, Henderson was the regular right winger for tthe first half of the season and did nothing wrong. He is good enough to play there even though he''s out of position. But it relies on one thing, the fans. Hendo has been unfairly criticized by a number of fans, he''s been wronmgly singled out at times. This must stop or we will ruin the carears of him and other youngsters. If the crowd boo the youngsters, NW wont risk playing them and that means we are stuck with last years crap. I would much rather see spillane in midfield, and rossi J or cave-brown at right back. Lets get behind Hendo and get the youth in the team.

[quote user="SPat"]A friend of mine had a candid chat with a senior city coach after the Camb friendly and was told that new signings from outside the club were never the highest priority this summer (no surprise given the lack of new faces) as we have enough youth talent to revitalise the 1st team and that the intention is that Henderson will be the regular right winger this season. A bold move to blood the youth or a shambolic way to avoid spending money on proven talent? Guess we''ll all find out....
[/quote]

Senior City coach? There''s only one coach.

Candid? Who are you trying to kid - they''re not stupid which is why (having signed no-one) transfers were not a priority.

Last season youth talent was not given a chance because they were not deemed good enough. Suddenly they are becasue of no signings!

Henderson is hardly a youth anymore, nor is he being ''blooded'' He''s been booed for two seasons now

Radio Norfolk interview: Worthy when asked about starting places: We were looking at starting hendo on the right, but he picked up a knock against Cambridge, we then thought about Andy hughes, but he picked up a slight knock in training, so we went for Macca.

From what i hear Robinson and Hughes will not be featuring in a first choice starting 11 - they are planned back up to Safri and Etuhu

All of which comes very neatly back to Hendo on the right wing.......until a loan player or signing arrives he will probably get his chance, but having seen Jurgen Colin in action this pre-season our whole right side is wide open and inexperienced and the left naturally suffers from a lack of defensive nature in Hucks. We will get destroyed via the flanks as per last season until we can bring better players - and that is a priority. Dont be bluffed by someone who, lets face it, isnt gonna say, were crap with no hope, is he!

Ha ha GJD, fair point ;-)

Ok Rossi it was Hunter. The suggestion from him was that signings were

never a priority from that start of the close season, not just because

they couldn''t get anyone. Giving youngsters a proper chance was really

referring to the new contracts given to Jarvis'', Cave-Brown etc not

Henderson. IMO there are 3 options as to why this situation has arisen,

genuine belief the youth can do it, unwillingness to give Worthy the

cash, or no cash. If we have no cash, why the hell not? If they''re not

prepared to give it to NW he should be dumped now, not after wasting

half the season and he should get the support of the board if he''s the

manager. If it''s that they think the youngsters are good enough, then I

suspect next season is a huge gamble that probably won''t pay off. Hucks

obviously thinks this way too! If it doesn''t Worthy will be out by

christmas and suddenly cash will appear I suspect.

SPat

I appreciate and respect your reply

Doncaster end of season "The arrival of a new coach COULD be ONE of the most important signingS this summer.

Now that for me speaks volumes

Hunter, the bloke who was given a season ticket behind the dug out for the end of last season, (before the job was open) and a worthy mate, isnt gonna stitch nigel up is he! I do agree that his role with the youth development could allow a different approach, but lets look at a few things.

Rossi J, Cave Brown and Spillane and the latest crop of promising youngsters. Which one of them is being lined up for the self-confessed positions that need addressing? Right back? Well why go after Hoyte? Right Mid, Tall striker, definately not. Cave-Brown as back up for Drury possibly a good move.

I do not think that the board are with-holding money for the man that they have backed so rigidly - why on earth would we shoot ourselves in the foot? If the money has gone on land, then technically yes in the later months of this season it could appear. I suspect however the land will be used to help stem the sudden drop in revenues allowing us to potentially cover the full length of current contracts. Henderson has not shown anything like the form that he should have over a sustained period of time. Ryan Jarvis is to weak and flimsy to be a target man.Yes, Hunter could develop them but this isnt going to assist in the short term. He cant make what isnt there though.

I''d love to see young blood being given a chance, but for me, this is a long term view to cover players that could leave if we do not gain promotion.

I think he will do well, but needs to get some consistant games on his belt before his real potential will show.

I feel that McVeigh should start over him though.