Sign in to follow this  
Cantley

Belarus - damned unEnglish if you ask me

It seems that the concept of sportsmanship has yet to penetrate the murky borders of Belarus. Even if the Belarus player didn''t realise how badly Green was injured when he scored, surely the gentlemanly thing would have been to put through their own goal at the first opportunity?

What a dirty bunch of bastards they were too. They were lucky to finish the game with 10 men if you ask me. Considering the game was a friendly - I didn''t notice too much bonhomie from that collection of heathens. Towards the end of the match I was just praying that no more of our players would pick up injuries.

Get real out there - England would of done exactly the same! Belarus are a small footballing nation, and for them to beat England, even in ''b'' variety, is a major plus for them. They may never get the chance again, so I think this match should be taken in context - friendly or not.

[quote user="komakino"]Get real out there - England would of done exactly the same! Belarus are a small footballing nation, and for them to beat England, even in ''b'' variety, is a major plus for them. They may never get the chance again, so I think this match should be taken in context - friendly or not.[/quote]

That should be "would have done". And no, I don''t think they would have. But if they had done, no doubt you would have joined the queue to condemn them for it.

Anyway, even from the point of view of naked self interest, what''s the point of winning a match with such a seedy goal? That''s no victory worth having.

[quote user="Cantley"]

[quote user="komakino"]Get real out there - England would of done exactly the same! Belarus are a small footballing nation, and for them to beat England, even in ''b'' variety, is a major plus for them. They may never get the chance again, so I think this match should be taken in context - friendly or not.[/quote]

That should be "would have done". And no, I don''t think they would have. But if they had done, no doubt you would have joined the queue to condemn them for it.

Anyway, even from the point of view of naked self interest, what''s the point of winning a match with such a seedy goal? That''s no victory worth having.

[/quote]

I could be wrong but I thought there was a rule that meant the game was stopped if a ''keeper was injured.

Ur right saint there is....

theres still the element of Gamesmanship too.. can anyone remember Di Canio, i cant remember who it was against, when he was at West ham... the keeper got injured with Di Canio clean through and he stopped and picked the ball up and attrac ted the refs attention to the injured keper when he could easily have scored.

His good nature spared him a yellow card for hand ball.

jas :)

Any English forward would have done exactly the same and put the ball in the net . All this stopping the game everytime somebody rolls around on the ground needs to be stamped on , soon you will be getting people rolling around as soon as the other team is on the attack. As for Green if he was injured he should of got treatment , he chose to carry on fluffed his kick and the striker scored .

so did  saint. In whih case, I guess the goal shouldn''t have stood. I agree that Belarus were rather unfriendly, frankly the tactics they resorted to in the end would have been biewed as a bit much in a competitive geae in soem quarters. Also, had it been the other way round,  think England might have let Belarus score, and a lot of the England fans would have been unhappy if they hadn''t

[quote user="We need a Manager"]he should of got treatment[/quote]

Should of got treatment? What do you mean?

The only one who needs treatment is you - for your overwhelming cynicism.

He was injured making the earlier save but carried on , he probably knew his world cup was over and did not want to face the truth . As Trevor Francis said on sky he would have put the ball in the net as would have any striker from any country.

[quote user="Cantley"]It seems that the concept of sportsmanship has yet to penetrate the murky borders of Belarus. Even if the Belarus player didn''t realise how badly Green was injured when he scored, surely the gentlemanly thing would have been to put through their own goal at the first opportunity?[/quote]

''unEnglish'' - funny that seeing as though they are from... Belarus and not England.

I have to say, I do agree with you though, I''d be very surprised if any toher big nations give them a friendly leading up to an important tournament. Some of the tackling was shocking.

I totally reaslise that we need ''realistic match situation games'' in the build up to a tournament, but I''m also hoping that the Hungarians and Jamaicans go in a little bit more gently. Imagine if we lost Gerrad/Lampard/Anyone from the starting XI. 

We now have seen why alot of managers dislike these type of matches, because there is never one you could call freindly.Belarus wanted to beat us because of our world cup seeding.Other fringe players trying to hard plus injuries freak or otherwise.Was there anything learnt from this match with less than a month to go before the world cup.Sven has had 4 years not 4 weeks !