Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Great Fans, LOUSEY MANAGER!

I think everyone has missed Mook''s original point, that he''s annoyed that 1stWizard keeps going on about getting rid of Worthy. I have to agree; he''s entitled to his opinion but it''s getting as tired as the ''let''s keep Crouch and Huckerby'' comments. That''s not to say that the Wizard''s other comments aren''t constructive, interesting or poignant. It''s just that there''s only so many times one can read ''get rid of Worthy'' when the man''s got us in an automatic promotion place.

However, arguments aside, we should all realise that we are starting to sound like the most panicky set of supporters there ever was. Which is fair enough; my entire week has already been spent checking the news websites every five minutes to see if we''ve signed anyone. What we must remember and hope is that the board are surely not stupid enough to get us two or three good players and then replace them with nothing. Worthington (despite what 1stWizard thinks) is surely not dumb enough to say ''yes please, I''ll have them for now and watch us slide down the table once they''ve gone''. Are they? I sincerely hope not. If they are, then every one of us has every right to be outraged.

We have no idea what is going on behind the scenes. My guess is that the board have been deliberately quiet so as not to drive the price up on any of our loan boys - a shrewd move on their behalf. If you take a serious look at any of the quotes from those at the club (both playing and backroom staff), no-one has had ANYTHING valid to say, other than ''it would be great to keep them.'' This would suggest (and I am being perhaps a touch fanciful here..) that the board have a masterplan that we will never be privy to. IF they end up making some great signings, we should congratulate them for playing their cards so close to their chests, because too much talk means agents and chairmen sniffing about for more money. This is exactly what happened over the summer; Worthy announced his intentions and it just drove the price up out of our reach, every time.

Let''s wait and see but for now, small criticisms aside, it''s not fair to have a go at the man who''s got us into 2nd place with essentially the same squad we''ve had for two years.
OTBC

Ah, now I understand Mook, Its YOUR Football club, not mine and others, but yours!. Well there''s no point in us insulting each other anymore is there? (When have I ever PERSONALLY insulted you?, I don''t think so YET!). Its a waste of our time, You cannot see my points. but that should not stop me being a City Fan, because YOU say so!. Although if anyone''s insulting anyone its you Mook, moaning about Diane (No, I do not know her personally)

So lets call a truce now, you have your views, I''ll respect them, ok, but if I and others have their''s, you respect them, fair enough. But you know Mook, that does not make us traitors to the Yellow & Green, quite the opposite, we just want the best for OUR club, long term. We just disagree on the method of moving forward.

Its obvious from your past post''s that you are a very committed supporter, even I can see that!. So please belive me, when I say no personal insults were ever intended, if i did, of course I apologise to you right here and now.

One thing is for sure Mook, come next May, either I and others will be proved correct, or you will be. I never got an answear from you, If I am proved to be wrong by NW, then I will grovel and plead forgiveness, with cries of ''I''m not worthy!'' (no pun intented) but are you prepared to do the same on this board as I am?.

Fair enough, King Juan of Spain, Till May 2004, I, the Wizard ,agrees on pain of very nasty things happening to me, that I will not mention the subject of ''Worthington out'' OK.

Unless..............................

Great post though Mr King Sir.

If come May 2004 we have failed, then of course I will grovel.

BUT (uh oh!)

I don''t want to start another heated debate about my ambition, but I didn''t put us down for promotion this season, and so although I would be desperately disappointed, I would not consider it a failure if we don''t go up.

However, if we sign Hucks, Crouch and Harper (or any two of the three) then my expectations would rise to expect DEFINITE play-offs. If we have these players and don''t make it THEN I will be shouting George Burley''s name just like you Wiz! By the way, I didn''t mean MY football club, as in "it belongs to me". I meant that if a binner (or any supporter of another team) came up to me and criticised our manager then I would react exactly the same way. When it''s the team you support, you defend them no matter what. Well I do anyway. And I admit Worthy is not the greatest but there are tough decisions to be made with team selection such as who''s performing well in training behind closed doors, and who has the right attitude. This is why I will consistently give NW the benefit of the doubt. Let''s face it, Alex Ferguson (who''s a damn good manager) picked Lauren Blanc and Barthez for two seasons!!

All fair points Mook, so we''ll just leave it there shall we?, lets just say that as we are both City supporters, as long as that motley crowd down at Porterloo Road finish below us, then at least we will both have a little to cheer about.

Irish C, I can see from your posts that you are a committed fan and all that it takes to be so. So am I, but when you finish that last post by saying that if different envisaged scenarios came about we might be in financial trouble. I''m sure you have,nt missed our point that we are already in financial trouble to the tune of £15.000.000 pounds and increasing by about 3 million per year. With these financial details in mind and the posts are saying that we commit our club to another 4 million debt on the off chance of that much wanted promotion. I can only say that I would not want the majority looking after my finances or give the board financial advice so leaving the club deeper in the mire. The only thing we need more as a club is a team that goes out there every week, and plays its hearts out for us and NW "on the ball city".

Beelsie

You''ve hit the nail on the head. Like it or not, we''re £15M in debt and currently operating with a trading lose of circa £3-4M per annum.

The "Speculate to Accumlate" group are, effectively, endorsing adding a further £3-4M to this debt. If we don''t, the Board are showing "a lack of ambition".

There are too many variables and interested parties to guarentee us being able to do a deal. At the end of the day, the players may decide just to stay put, rather than come here. The clubs in question could, just change their minds.

From what I''ve heard, the manager wants either Crouch or Huckerby, preferably both, BUT and it''s a BIG BUT, not at any price. Neither the manager or the Board want to commit financial sucide on this one.

Problem is, the Board just can''t win. Don''t sign and there will be public uproar, as many will percieve that the chance of promotion has gone. Do sign and the financial problems just get worse.

I''m not trying to make excuses here for anyone, just trying to add a small degree of financial reality to what has gone before.

I have to say Mook old chap I would have to disagree with you on one point. I think Worthington is a great manager. People look at the other managers we have had in the past and what squads they pulled together. But they all had money to spend with secure financial backing. When you consider that most of the players we have at the moment cost us no more than £500k in transfers and the team to be one point above us has spent millions in the summer alone, we are doing just fine.

If I am right the most expensive player we have is Iwan at £800k although he was not was one of Worthingtons signings, nor was Mackay who cost about the same I believe.

No, he is one of the best managers in the division at least, and it has been widely publisised as one of the most qualified. Add to that the fact that he is a young manager you can see that he is doing not to badly at all. Plus look at the players we have been able to get here during his time. Huckerby being the latest to state that as soon as he had talked to Worthington he wanted to play down here rather than anywhere else. That is surely good, when was the last time someone of his calibre was interested in signing for us even if it is on loan.

And in three and a bit years in charge he has managed us in avoiding relegation, reaching 6th and 7th spot in the following two seasons and who knows what is next. Other teams FEAR us now, when was the last time our team was seen to be that threatening, especially now we are slowly fixing our away performances.

The only thing that I would ask him is why he doesnt seem to like playing Francis and Mulryne along side each other unless he is forced to. That seemed to be when we did the most damage to teams.

lol - that''s just cruel (but very funny),We have progressed since this email, we have progressed under Worthington, and we have progressed since Delia has been here. This season was always going to be tough but we are not relegated yet!OTBCKeep the (blind) faith!

Brilliant - destroyed twice in a week.  First "Holtgate" and now a blast from last year.

I wasn''t on this board this time last year - but i am astounded that people were moaning during last season - especially when we were on the up.  How much moaning was there after Forest away? - when we had 7 points from 5 games, Rivers broke his foot and Elvis Hammond came off the bench. Now that was awful.

PREMIER LEAGUE - WE''RE HAVING A LAUGH, etc etc

Good call Nobby G.  I watched that game in the pub and left feeling totally despondent.  Greeno dropped that clanger didn''t he, when Johnson scored and we were awful.  Could not have imagined the season would unfold the way it did.  For all the doom & gloom on here, we would do well to remember that.