Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Hull Sack Rosenior

45 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

I can't shake the feeling that Knapper and Wagner's long term visions do not align. 

I watched an interview with Neil Warnock the other day who said far too many people go into football clubs and state "my philosophy is this, and this is how we are going to play" and then fail because they've got centre backs who can't pass a ball accurately over 5 yards. He said that what you need to do is go into a club, assess what you have got, and then implement a system which works for that group and then tweak it as you develop your squad.

Wagner has done the best that he could be expected to do with no defensive midfielders (which we know he used at Huddersfield) and a few old cluggers like Barnes and Duffy to accommodate. If Knapper is coming and with grand ideas to play like Arteta's Arsenal, then good luck achieving that with a severely limited budget and a team half full of workhorses and if Gibbs & Springett are somewhere towards the top of the talent pool from our current under 21's.

4 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

😍😂🤩

I'm not missing a single opportunity Purple! 😉

10 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Wish we were Hull! 
Finishing 7th and sacking the manager is preferable to finishing 6th and having to pay over the odds to watch play off games we don’t even want to win. 

Go and support Hull then. Simple solution for a simple person.

1 hour ago, Ward 3 said:

Go and support Hull then. Simple solution for a simple person.

And that would be the simple solution for the simple 20% but they don't seem to realise and keep renewing and buying tickets...

2 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

I watched an interview with Neil Warnock the other day who said far too many people go into football clubs and state "my philosophy is this, and this is how we are going to play" and then fail because they've got centre backs who can't pass a ball accurately over 5 yards. He said that what you need to do is go into a club, assess what you have got, and then implement a system which works for that group and then tweak it as you develop your squad.

Wagner has done the best that he could be expected to do with no defensive midfielders (which we know he used at Huddersfield) and a few old cluggers like Barnes and Duffy to accommodate. 

JJR, I am usually in full agreement but have a problem with what I see is a contradictory post to your argument.

Wagner has certainly come in and not done what Colin recommended. This is what me and plenty others who have severe misgivings about Wagner have been complaining about. His refusal to adopt tactics to the players in his squad during that September to November period was, in my view, a sackable offence. Wagner did get away with it and is just about able to get away with his "doctrine" now he has a relatively full hand of players at his disposal.

But Duffy for one really doesn't have the capability to play to it! You only have to read Ben Lee's tactical analysis to see that other teams have noted this and press Duffy early in games. It is only because the opposition also don't have the requisite players with the capability to continually do it that allows Duffy to recover from really poor starts and recapture his self assurance. I can't see Farke missing that trick, so let's hope Wagner finally takes note of this.

There seems to be this view that Wagner should have done as well with the players out as when they were fit. I heard Jack Reeve say something like finishing sixth was par for us because we had the best keeper, the best defender, the best midfielder and the best striker in the division. So the strogest spine. Even if true, which I doubt, that ignores the time these players were injured. It's just another example of moving the failure bar to suit the results. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

There seems to be this view that Wagner should have done as well with the players out as when they were fit. I heard Jack Reeve say something like finishing sixth was par for us because we had the best keeper, the best defender, the best midfielder and the best striker in the division. So the strogest spine. Even if true, which I doubt, that ignores the time these players were injured. It's just another example of moving the failure bar to suit the results. 

WTF is he on about with this...'best defender' stuff! No way have we got said player. I would dearly like to know the identity!

Just now, yellowrider120 said:

WTF is he on about with this...'best defender' stuff! No way have we got said player. I would dearly like to know the identity!

I believe it's Stacey.

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I believe it's Stacey.

He is the only possible contender but Reeve J has clearly been seduced by the attacking runs the player makes which have eff all to do with the art of 'defending'.