Sign in to follow this  
Satriales

No more FA Cup replays!

Posted (edited)
On 18/04/2024 at 17:44, Foxy2600 said:

Kind of agree but the League 1 and 2 also get exclusive EFL Trophy so they're probably just as congested what with FA Cup and EFL Cup plus 24 Teams in each league.

Interestingly one suggestion for a compromise is scrap the EFL cup and make the EFL Trophy National League, League 2, League 1 and Championship, but I guess that ain’t going to happen. Would be really funny if they boycotted it, I wonder if that would get things changed ?

Edited by Well b back

5 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Yes, completely agree. Have no problem with it on footballing terms. It's just the way it screws the smaller clubs, and the way it's seemingly been introduced without serious consultation with them, that rankles.

If two league 2 teams draw in the FA Cup 1st round  ,do they really want a replay either?

It just boils down to these smaller clubs wanting to draw a Willy Wonka golden ticket out of the hat against a big club - away - to bail themselves out of financial trouble for a while.

Thats not what the spirit of the FA Cup should be about either...and if those clubs are relying/budgeting for such an occurance, thats a worry in itself

10 hours ago, TheRock said:

Five things have massively ruined the FA Cup for me in the last 20 or so years:

• Semi Finals always played at Wembley. This is ridiculous and a money-grab by the FA to to continue to pay for the white elephant New Wembley, also takes the prestige away from actually reaching the final. It was before my time, but I bet anyone who went to the Everton SF in 1989 or the Sunderland SF in 1991 would concur with this.

• Not playing The FA Cup Final on a stand-alone day, once all four leagues have finished. This shows complete contempt for the competition.

• Kick off times now moved to random times to cater for foreign TV coverage. This just damages attendances, lets be honest if a 3rd Round match is scheduled on a Monday at 8pm kick-off during the second week of January and isn't televised in the UK, no one is going to show any interest.

• VAR. No words needed for this one. Although how can VAR be used in some third/fourth/fitfth round matches and not others, no integrity in the standards of officiating in the competition ?

• and now Replays binned. As mentioned a stupid and hypocritical decision no doubt instigated by the PL clubs due to fixture congestion and travel. Yet they swan off to the Middle-East, East Asia or the USA every pre-season and jetset everywhere.

And the tragedy is that , as far as I’m concerned , in today’s football climate we need the old FA Cup and it’s ethos more than ever . I’ll keep the torch burning in my sentimental old heart for the FA Cup . Even if the FA have lost all pride . Shame on them . 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, TheRock said:

Five things have massively ruined the FA Cup for me in the last 20 or so years:

Great post: agree with all of your five things

I'd add that the underlying thing that has ruined the FA Cup is the Premier League. It's hoovered up all the talent, so the same mega-clubs invariably win it in the end, even if they play weakened teams in the early round.

And the huge disparity between the PL and the Championship means that if you are at all worried about relegation, or at all in the conversation for promotion (which in January is probably about 15 clubs), you basically have to prioritise the league. And those are the clubs, bottom half of the Prem, top half of the Champs, who could on their day knock a big team out. But they're not really trying any more.

It's such a shame. It was such a great thing, what football was all about. Just been swallowed up by the PL behemoth.

13 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

It just boils down to these smaller clubs wanting to draw a Willy Wonka golden ticket out of the hat against a big club - away - to bail themselves out of financial trouble for a while.

Thats not what the spirit of the FA Cup should be about either...and if those clubs are relying/budgeting for such an occurance, thats a worry in itself

Sure, but given the enormous disparity between the riches at the top and the rest, surely anything that makes those pay-days less likely is a bad thing?

Completely agree clubs shouldn't be budgeting for them, but do many really do that? They're a bonus which could make a big difference to a struggling team.

That's why I think my idea of 'lower-league team gets the gate money' is an elegant solution to pass money down the pyramid (at little cost to the bigger clubs) while streamlining the calendar by getting rid of the replays, which I totally agree with you on.

14 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Remember in 84/85 playing Birmingham in the FA Cup 3rd round...and it went to 3 replays

Was a tiresome slog. 

Must confess to one replay being a bit of a chore and inconvenience nowadays...

I remember those games.... frozen pitch at Brum, recall John Deehan nearly tricked their keeper with a 40 odd yard free-kick... looked to cross it and instead drove it at the near post.. keeper just managed to tip it away. 

Fact is this decision is a disgraceful liberty.    FA should be ashamed, but the game's integrity and soul is lost now and the fans aren't doing anything to take it back.  

• Like 1