Posted (edited)

A bit off topic but I’ve only just seen this. How exactly is this not a penalty? One of the most bizarre incidents I’ve seen recently in a match. It has to be a handball as he picks the ball up!

https://x.com/tenhagway/status/1777934107411902792?s=46&t=12k3jEugNq5vxKFcnDRw6g

Edit: the clip has now been removed 

its still on this link 

https://x.com/cannavaro08/status/1777953945815597168?s=46&t=12k3jEugNq5vxKFcnDRw6g

Edited by Virtual reality

Penalties are too influential in football anyway. 

There's an average of around 2.8 goals per game professional football, and generally penalties have a success rate of 75-80%, despite the fact the possibility of a goal being scored in the attack had the foul not been committed generally being at least ten times lower.

Penalties have a huge, and disproportionate, impact on results in a sport where scoring is incredibly low.

There isn't a sanction in any sport with a discrepancy as large as penalties in football, whereby the punishment/reward is so much greater than the offence which causes it. 

For that reason, speaking as a neutral, thank god common sense prevailed in the Gabriel incident and a penalty wasn't awarded for something so ridiculously trivial.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Penalties are too influential in football anyway. 

There's an average of around 2.8 goals per game professional football, and generally penalties have a success rate of 75-80%, despite the fact the possibility of a goal being scored in the attack had the foul not been committed generally being at least ten times lower.

Penalties have a huge, and disproportionate, impact on results in a sport where scoring is incredibly low.

There isn't a sanction in any sport with a discrepancy as large as penalties in football, whereby the punishment/reward is so much greater than the offence which causes it. 

For that reason, speaking as a neutral, thank god common sense prevailed in the Gabriel incident and a penalty wasn't awarded for something so ridiculously trivial.

I’m not sure picking the ball up in the area is trivial. Tuchel certainly doesn’t think it is and I’m sure we would be screaming for it. I’ve never seen an incident quite like it 

https://x.com/centregoals/status/1777971850167067092?s=46&t=12k3jEugNq5vxKFcnDRw6g

3 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

I’m not sure picking the ball up in the area is trivial. Tuchel certainly doesn’t think it is and I’m sure we would be screaming for it. I’ve never seen an incident quite like it 

There was no Bayern player anywhere near the incident and Gabriel clearly though Raya was giving him the ball in order to take the goal kick. 

It had absolutely zero impact on the match whatsoever.

By the letter of the law, then yes, it's a penalty. But like I said before, than god common sense prevailed.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

It should probably be a penalty, but I’m kind-of glad it wasn’t given.  He clearly didn’t think the kick had been taken, and if there is a ‘spirit of football’ at all (as there is for cricket) this is it.

As an aside, I’m surprised this hasn’t happened more - players are faffing about at goal kicks so muchthese days, often with the keeper + 2 cb’s in attendance. 

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

There was no Bayern player anywhere near the incident and Gabriel clearly though Raya was giving him the ball in order to take the goal kick. 

By the letter of the law, then yes, it's a penalty. But like I said before, than god common sense prevailed.

I have to disagree about that. The referee whistles and the keepers kick brings the match into play, at that point it’s irrelevant of the mix up and the referee saying it’s a “kids mistake” This is professional football and a champions league quarter final. It has to be a penalty 

2 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

I have to disagree about that. The referee whistles and the keepers kick brings the match into play, at that point it’s irrelevant of the mix up and the referee saying it’s a “kids mistake” This is professional football and a champions league semi final. It has to be a penalty 

I guess we'll agree to disagree. 

Personally, I don't think games of this magnitude should be decided by such an incident.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

I have to disagree about that. The referee whistles and the keepers kick brings the match into play, at that point it’s irrelevant of the mix up and the referee saying it’s a “kids mistake” This is professional football and a champions league quarter final. It has to be a penalty 

At worst it was an accidental handball and an indirect free kick, why has everything got to be a penalty?

I do agree technically it was a foul, but never a penalty as it doesn’t prevent a goal scoring opportunity!

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

At worst it was an accidental handball and an indirect free kick, why has everything got to be a penalty?

I do agree technically it was a foul, but never a penalty as it doesn’t prevent a goal scoring opportunity!

He’s clearly misjudged the situation but in a game where every incident will be over analysed to the point of a perfectly good goal being disallowed because a toe nail is offside the game should then be played to the letter of the law. The ball was in play and is therefore a penalty for handball, nothing else can be awarded. It’s the sort of incident you’d laugh about in Sunday league football but not expect in the champions league. 

Posted (edited)

33 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

He’s clearly misjudged the situation but in a game where every incident will be over analysed to the point of a perfectly good goal being disallowed because a toe nail is offside the game should then be played to the letter of the law. The ball was in play and is therefore a penalty for handball, nothing else can be awarded. It’s the sort of incident you’d laugh about in Sunday league football but not expect in the champions league. 

Indeed he did and technically it was hand ball but as the rules state not all fouls need to be a penalty, if this is deemed as a misjudgement by the player and not from a deliberate action it can be given as a indirect free kick.

From the rule book explanations:

When Is An Indirect Free Kick In The Box Awarded?

A direct free kick cannot be awarded in the penalty area of the offending team. If a player commits an offence warranting a direct free kick in their own defensive penalty area, a penalty kick will be awarded instead.

However, not all fouls in the box lead to penalties. It's also possible for an indirect free kick in the box to be awarded by the referee. This awarding of an indirect free kick in the box can create some pretty chaotic situations, and it's always an exciting moment for fans when it happens.

Any type of serious foul in the penalty area (eg an aggressive, badly timed tackle or a deliberate handball) will result in a penalty kick, but if a less serious offence without any player-to-player contact happens, an indirect free kick can be awarded.

Edited by Indy

8 minutes ago, Indy said:

Indeed he did and technically it was hand ball but as the rules state not all fouls need to be a penalty, if this is deemed as a misjudgement by the player and not from a deliberate action it can be given as a indirect free kick.

From the rule book explanations:

When Is An Indirect Free Kick In The Box Awarded?

A direct free kick cannot be awarded in the penalty area of the offending team. If a player commits an offence warranting a direct free kick in their own defensive penalty area, a penalty kick will be awarded instead.

However, not all fouls in the box lead to penalties. It's also possible for an indirect free kick in the box to be awarded by the referee. This awarding of an indirect free kick in the box can create some pretty chaotic situations, and it's always an exciting moment for fans when it happens.

Any type of serious foul in the penalty area (eg an aggressive, badly timed tackle or a deliberate handball) will result in a penalty kick, but if a less serious offence without any player-to-player contact happens, an indirect free kick can be awarded.

I think ( not 100% sure though ) that the  only situation where handling the ball In the area can lead to an indirect free kick is if the keeper handles a back pass 

54 minutes ago, Indy said:

No such thing as 'accidental handball' anymore.

2 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

No such thing as 'accidental handball' anymore.

Fair enough but it wasn’t given so technically there is! 😂👍

4 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

I think ( not 100% sure though ) that the  only situation where handling the ball In the area can lead to an indirect free kick is if the keeper handles a back pass 

Yes I’m only going what is in the explanation, it’s so difficult to interpret and for me accidental handballs should never be an automatic penalty! It’s ludicrous.

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Disagree, this isn't an U13s game where the ref just says 'go on lad, take it again", it was the Champions League 1/4 final. 

Even all the Arsenal fans I work with (both of them 🤣) think it's a pen. 

I'd actually go so far as to say its one of the worst decisions ever made.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Disagree, this isn't an U13s game where the ref just says 'go on lad, take it again", it was the Champions League 1/4 final. 

Even all the Arsenal fans I work with (both of them 🤣) think it's a pen. 

I'd actually go so far as to say its one of the worst decisions ever made.

I'd say that's a good reason NOT to give it. 

Deciding such a huge game on something like this would be a farce, although admittedly Arsenal/Gabriel would only have themselves to blame if it had been given. 

5 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'd say that's a good reason NOT to give it. 

Deciding such a huge game on something like this would be a farce, although admittedly Arsenal/Gabriel would only have themselves to blame if it had been given. 

Again, disagree 😁