Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Fever

WASPI women

WASPI women.

I see this is topical. Government set the timetable in 1995. Was to be equalized in 2020 but brought forward to 2018.

Frankly, although the government I'm sure could of done more to publicize it I really think these people must take some responsibility themselves for keeping abrest of rules / regulations. It as if they lived in a vacuum.  

I'm sorry but not really much sympathy. I can think of several other tax changes that upset me with less than 2 years not 20+ years notice.

I'm absolutely fuming about this. There was no financial loss, women were merely asked to work the same amount of time as men. 

If they are to receive compensation then so should all the men who lost 5 years pension because there was inequality. 

The cost is expected to be in the region of £40bn. That's a lot simply because women didn't plan their futures properly. 

Posted (edited)

I see there is now a big argument about what appears to be token compensation if at all.

The annual cost of state pensions is c. 113Bn. So just reduce the state pension a few percent to pay for it 😉

Edited by Yellow Fever

4 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

I see there is now a big argument about what appears to be token compensation if at all.

The annual cost of state pensions is c. 113Bn. So just reduce the state pension a few percent to pay for it 😉

From the summary the report concludes that the communications around the change were insufficient and for that reason compensation should be given

The weakness for rhe campaign is that they lost the court case on the same grounds, so the government can just turn around and say that it will follow the judgment and not the opinion

Court case could have been a massive own goal - as they often are.

12 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

From the summary the report concludes that the communications around the change were insufficient and for that reason compensation should be given

The weakness for rhe campaign is that they lost the court case on the same grounds, so the government can just turn around and say that it will follow the judgment and not the opinion

Court case could have been a massive own goal - as they often are.

Yes - But where does the government stop - take out TV adverts, write to every woman?. Some people seem very 'needy'.

It may seem hard but I really believe this is a prime example of the entitlement culture. Just about anybody who watches any news must of been aware of the changes for decades in advance. A token £1000 all round max (and that comes from other pensioners).

What about all the men who have gone from 65 to 67 .... have they been told enough too?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Yes - But where does the government stop - take out TV adverts, write to every woman?. Some people seem very 'needy'.

It may seem hard but I really believe this is a prime example of the entitlement culture. Just about anybody who watches any news must of been aware of the changes for decades in advance. A token £1000 all round max (and that comes from other pensioners).

What about all the men who have gone from 65 to 67 .... have they been told enough too?

I get to retire at 68,  if at all.  

I'm not really in the 50s women category but I knew about these changes.   I assume those that didn't were doing essential aid work in far flung parts of the world where external communication was possible only during an eclipse.

Oh hang on....  I meant I didn't know that I couldn't retire at 65. No one told me! what can I possibly do now? Can I have some cash please?

Edited by Barbe bleu
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

I get to retire at 68,  if at all.  

I'm not really in the 50s women category but I knew about these changes.   I assume those that didn't were doing essential aid work in far flung parts of the world where external communication was possible only during an eclipse.

Oh hang on....  I meant I didn't know that I couldn't retire at 65. No one told me! what can I possibly do now? Can I have some cash please?

Many a true word spoken in jest. 

The announcement in 1995 was a huge news item. It beggars belief that anyone missed it. 

I think (but I may be wrong) that the 2010 announcement related to men as well as women. 

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Many a true word spoken in jest. 

The announcement in 1995 was a huge news item. It beggars belief that anyone missed it. 

I think (but I may be wrong) that the 2010 announcement related to men as well as women. 

Yes - compensation for all us men too would be in order!

As someone who despairs at the pushing up and up of state pension age my inclination is to side with these women but the more you read the less and less sympathetic I get.

The case of the woman who had done enough planning to know how much state pension she'd get for her early retirement spreadsheet but hadn't bothered to double check when she'd get it is a case in point. 

The only benefits I'm entitled to are the free hours of childcare. I may get child benefit when the government raises the salary threshold. Best believe I'm going to be making sure I understand these policies properly before I start including any money from them in my budgets.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Yes - compensation for all us men too would be in order!

In particular because the adjustment to retirement age in 2011 affected men as well. 

Women have quite rightly sought equality for a long time but they don't seem to like it on this occasion. Millions of men had to work 5 years longer to get their pensions and statistically they die earlier. I suspect there are some legal firms watching this very carefully indeed. I'll put my name down if there is a group claim. 

On the subject of age, did you know that 98% of people that die of work age are men? And men are 23 times more likely to die at work than women. They're statistics that are kept very quiet in these feminist times. 

14 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Women have quite rightly sought equality for a long time but they don't seem to like it on this occasion.

Just for clarity, a small but noisy group don't seem to like it.

Personally I also won't like it when the government inevitably raises the state pension age again but I won't be out seeking compensation.

Just now, king canary said:

Just for clarity, a small but noisy group don't seem to like it.

Personally I also won't like it when the government inevitably raises the state pension age again but I won't be out seeking compensation.

Yes it is a small noisy group but on the other hand I have yet to hear a single woman tell them to shut up. 

6 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Yes it is a small noisy group but on the other hand I have yet to hear a single woman tell them to shut up. 

Really? I've seen plenty.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Please point me in their direction. In 2 hours on Nicky Campbell's 5 Live phone in yesterday there were none. That could of course be because the ones who will have to pay for this are too busy working to phone a radio station! 

Just now, dylanisabaddog said:

Please point me in their direction. In 2 hours on Nicky Campbell's 5 Live phone in yesterday there were none. That could of course be because the ones who will have to pay for this are too busy working to phone a radio station! 

You're probably better off casting your net a bit wider than a 5live phone in before generalising. 

Look at discussions about it on twitter or similar- plenty of women of WASPI age getting annoyed at their peers inability to take responsibility for their own financial futures and some talking about donating any compensation they may end up receiving to charity as they neither deserve nor want it.

Posted (edited)
On 21/03/2024 at 09:26, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm absolutely fuming about this. There was no financial loss, women were merely asked to work the same amount of time as men. 

If they are to receive compensation then so should all the men who lost 5 years pension because there was inequality. 

The cost is expected to be in the region of £40bn. That's a lot simply because women didn't plan their futures properly. 

I think there's a strong argument for saying that moving goal posts on retirement age wholesale amounts to a confidence trick. That said, the downside of sovereignty is if a government says the rules change then you have no recourse on that score other than electing someone else to change it again.

This is more about the difference in changes for men and women though. I think it's unfair to say women have not planned, when whether or not they've planned, they've planned based on the rules as they were, so while everyone's getting screwed by the changes in pension age, women are getting screwed more and I think it's right to address the difference in women's favour for that. Also bear in mind that those pension advantages came hand in hand with disadvantages in the work place.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I think there's a strong argument for saying that moving goal posts on retirement age wholesale amounts to a confidence trick. That said, the downside of sovereignty is if a government says the rules change then you have no recourse on that score other than electing someone else to change it again.

This is more about the difference in changes for men and women though. I think it's unfair to say women have not planned, when whether or not they've planned, they've planned based on the rules as they were, so while everyone's getting screwed by the changes in pension age, women are getting screwed more and I think it's right to address the difference in women's favour for that. Also bear in mind that those pension advantages came hand in hand with disadvantages in the work place.

I'm interested to know why you think women are getting more screwed than men. Previously, women retired on a pension a full five years before men and then went on to have a longer life expectancy and so a longer retirement courtesy of the State. 

Wouldn't a better description be an alignment with men, which is what many women clamour for?

Also I don't know what you mean by 'disadvantaged in the workplace' . Most dangerous or physical jobs are done by men. Most workplace deaths and injuries happen to men. What disadvantages do you see women facing?

• Thanks 1

I particularly enjoyed the lady in the judgment (Mrs R I think) who would have held off on buying her second home for a couple more years if she’d known she wouldn’t have got the pension later.

Quite right we find compensation from the tax money paid by (among others) all those young tax payers who can’t even afford a deposit on a first home in order to compensate this old lady for having to pay the running costs of her second home from another source of funds.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

No. The goalposts were moved for women because their 5 year advantage was challenged in the Courts. They lost. They were then given 15 years notice of the change which actually should have been applied immediately. 

Are there really any women out there who didn't know about this at the time? It was the major news story at the time but I'm supposed to feel sorry for people who take no notice of letters through the post or numerous front page stories or tv news. 

Before they took this to the Parliamentary watchdog they took it to court. They lost. 

They are now asking non retired taxpayers (50% of whom are female) to pay more tax to give them what they were never entitled to in the first place. I don't know how they sleep. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

No. The goalposts were moved for women because their 5 year advantage was challenged in the Courts. They lost. They were then given 15 years notice of the change which actually should have been applied immediately. 

Are there really any women out there who didn't know about this at the time? It was the major news story at the time but I'm supposed to feel sorry for people who take no notice of letters through the post or numerous front page stories or tv news. 

Before they took this to the Parliamentary watchdog they took it to court. They lost. 

They are now asking non retired taxpayers (50% of whom are female) to pay more tax to give them what they were never entitled to in the first place. I don't know how they sleep. 

One tried to suggest their financial advisor didn’t know about it either.  You have to wonder why she hasn’t then bought a claim against the financial advisor instead… 

Posted (edited)

Im pretty sure the governemt will, indeed has to, ignore this. Else they will open the flood gates to all men claiming exactly the same thing with the same notice / communication on the age going from 65, 66 to 67. Another odd £50Bn.

As I understand it, the governemt did indeed publicise it to everybody but undoubtedly could of done more for the hard of thinking. 

What are the women claiming, they need special treatment as they were incapable / incompetent - putting back feminism 50 years? Poor little dears.

No. No wonder many women are appalled at the Waspi claims.

Edited by Yellow Fever

On 22/03/2024 at 10:50, king canary said:

Yes I owe you an apology. I went to the Norfolk under 16 final last night and stood listening to a large group of 40+ mothers moaning about it. One delightful lady broke the world record for the number of f words used in a 5 minute period. They really weren't very happy at all. 

The cup final was fantastic.