Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Rotherham

Posted (edited)

I have been feeling a bit low this week after the disappointment at Middlesbro but the news of reprieve for Borja Sainz certainly lifted my spirits and I am sure it did much the same for thousands of others of the Canary persuasion. There was also a touch of early spring in the air which gave promise of better things to come.

I thought I would have a look at the early kick off game on Sky at lunchtime and when I cycled off to the game there were two minutes left and it appeared that that lot down the road were going to spawn another three points out of sod all. I admit to a joyful chortle when I heard the final score at the ground.

All thoughts of the midweek debacle were quickly banished as City clicked into high gear early doors. A free kick on the left was fended away only as far as Sara, who struck a low sweeping shot on target that Johansson fielded on his knees. Then in the third minute a low cross from McCallum went right across the visitors goalmouth without anyone getting a touch. There were some lovely moves that had the Rotherham defence constantly on the back foot and you could see a goal coming as City continued to look sharp and inventive.

Just before the quarter hour Sargent found Stacey in space on the right and when his cross came in Sara had all the time and space in the world to head goalwards. The Rotherham keeper got something on it but could not prevent City from taking the lead. A couple of times Sargent was slipped through but Johansson to his credit was quickly out to block both efforts.

The gap in quality was obvious to all as the visitors struggled to get anything going in the City half and the second goal came quickly as Rotherham couldn't clear the danger and conceded another corner on the right. There were some big lads in the visitors defence but Sara's ball to the near post was met by Sorensen who flicked it over the keeper and into the far corner of the net. It was all looking very easy but the boy felt we needed another goal before he felt comfortable. Sainz must have heard him because on the half hour he produced a solo strike of stunning quality that brought the whole ground to its feet. Picking up the ball about thirty yards out, he came infield and drifted past a couple of defenders before unleashing a drive that left the keeper rooted as it arrowed into the top corner of the net. It was a thing of rare beauty.

With three S's already on the score sheet all that was needed was for Sargent to get one and as we moved past forty minutes it seemed he was bound to score as he latched onto Sara's delightful back heel pass.  A first time effort might have been a better choice but he checked back onto the other foot behind a defender and the shot was blocked away. He was not to be denied however and as we moved into time added, Stacey raced clear down the right and centred quickly where Sargent hit a low first time effort that beat Johansson's despairing dive at the right hand post.

There were loud and well deserved cheers as the boys trooped off after a totally dominating half of football. The boy was thinking we might get double figures but I warned him that these sort of games usually calmed down in the second half.

a

Wagner had seen enough and duly rested Kenny and Josh Sargent with Fassnacht and Van Hoojidonk coming on. Gibson had already been replaced by Batth at the break. The game slowed noticeably from here and the visitors had a bit more of the ball but seldom looked like having the quality to make a game of it. Hugil came on for them midway through the half and received a good round of applause from the crowd and had their only effort of note at the City goal. He got his head to a cross from the left but it looped high over Gunn's bar.

Apart from a couple of blocked efforts and a low shot from Nunez, I can't recall much else of note as City played the ball around and ran down the clock. Gibbs got a bit of a run out and It was nice to see Aboh get a ten minute cameo as the game petered out as a contest.

I thought Sara was superb today but it's impossible not to give Sainz my MOM award for a good all round game and a stunning goal that will be remembered long past the time some of us are pushing up daisies. It got really cold as the sun went down and me and the boy made a bolt for stairs as the time iup to ninety minutes. All things considered, a very good day to be a Norwich City fan.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 11

10 minutes ago, ricardo said:

. It got really cold as the sun went down and me and the boy made a bolt for stairs as the time iup to ninety minutes.

Thermals old fella, though I have been informed by builders, farm workers etc that women's tights work well -  though other items of women's undergarments not so well (so I'm told)...............................................especially outside the privacy of your home 😜

Thanks again for another enjoyable read

• Thanks 1

Shouldn’t really complain with a 5-0 win but could’ve been more perhaps if Stacey had been given the ball in the second half.  Many times he was free on the right but other players either didn’t even look to the right or ignored him.  Ironic cheers from South Stand when he did get a pass.  It was a similar scenario last Saturday too.  Is it more difficult to kick to the right?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Did it take you a while to get back to your seat for the second half?

No mate. 

Looks like I lost a paragraph somewhere in all that excitement.🤣

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Myra Hawtree said:

Shouldn’t really complain with a 5-0 win but could’ve been more perhaps if Stacey had been given the ball in the second half.  Many times he was free on the right but other players either didn’t even look to the right or ignored him.  Ironic cheers from South Stand when he did get a pass.  It was a similar scenario last Saturday too.  Is it more difficult to kick to the right?

Gave him a rest from galloping up and down that wing Myra.

8 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Glad to hear it. It really was a lovely strike from Sara.

My description of it is now lost forever in the ether. 

It was there then it was gone, just like 1p5wich's 3 points today.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

My description of it is now lost forever in the ether. 

It was there then it was gone, just like 1p5wich's 3 points today.

Vintage stuff. Love it 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Ricardo - real sense of momentum ATM + the players looking much more confident (even on Wednesday before the dismissal.)

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Badger said:

Thanks Ricardo - real sense of momentum ATM + the players looking much more confident (even on Wednesday before the dismissal.)

Yes maybe it's all come together at the right time. We can but hope.

14 hours ago, Badger said:

Yeah,  I thought that first 30 mins at Boro was the best I've seen us play this season. 

Against that is a sense of fragility. We have so few options at the moment. Our starting XI is great. But another injury (or four-match suspension...) could be kryptonite for our chances. Fingers crossed.

For once I got the prediction spot on and at half time wished I'd said '6 or 7' because Rotherham were that bad, the subs killed the game so in reality it was only a contest for 60 minutes and you couldn't blame people for streaming out well before the end. Three more points, the GD was boosted and no one was injured so in many ways it it was good afternoon but I did leave feeling that having the boy Sydney and an untried youngster as the only attacking options is a concern with tougher games coming up.