Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Lol. UFOs were a thing before Elon was born so that might provide a time frame but we might be in the general area with Musky, who knows?

The Richard Stothers report, which can be found on the NASA site, details UFO sightings going back 2,000 years. Alien like figures and alien type craft also appear in hieroglyphics of several ancient civilisations 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sca_esv=c18275b0ed1961c7&sxsrf=ACQVn08VCKS35iu6u804TEzwRc_bymFAAA:1710587639261&q=hieroglyphics+alien&uds=AMwkrPs4mDHqV7QfY9nYaKRHgvE9r2G1AXCKdWycvsBmkpXa0-Z4YTXFGg5ExT5Ky_kEStp3VaQloOqNX_sHqaLMN1s5fMxb56xysj2_poLQaoVkB1-cAwtuVpeG22rLcRIHFKRe2f1-K2wTbiraslT8aTbQ5zUJoZG4oFOKZEgz94cvvN7WpvjP9CeLSNezezdByWehwMdGJmu75DXnh1iX9pPjzPR0uWc__6vioe5uE7FW9If6bVU1YFUs46nZyYKhLMXqQ7fPAezLDx5EWA9Qri_jwrzC9g&udm=2&prmd=ivnmbtz&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiRi-HE0_iEAxX59rsIHZhhA3oQtKgLegQICxAB&biw=412&bih=777&dpr=2.63

Screenshot_20240316_110722_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.fac5ed15801e600a38f3d50f875d606d.jpg

Edited by dylanisabaddog

Hi @Yellow fever

For some reason the quote function doesn't pick up your edit below so I've screenshot it instead. If the Big Bang didn't create life, what did? Try to imagine you're explaining it to a small child with attention issues.... Screenshot_20240317_065906_Chrome.thumb.jpg.827a3ad5ed0f1cb38fad95fd99907de3.jpg

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Hi @Yellow fever

For some reason the quote function doesn't pick up your edit below so I've screenshot it instead. If the Big Bang didn't create life, what did? Try to imagine you're explaining it to a small child with attention issues.... Screenshot_20240317_065906_Chrome.thumb.jpg.827a3ad5ed0f1cb38fad95fd99907de3.jpg

Hi Dylan.

The 'big bang' created the universe as we know it. It created the conditions for eventually stable 'matter' that leads to atoms and the ability for stars to form. A certain set of constants which if changed even slightly would lead to a Universe not as we know it if viable /stable at all. I seem to recall 10 to the power of 400 possible universes  (might of been 10 ^ 100 but you get the point). Unimaginably large! Cosmology tries to explain why our Universe is the way it is and why it is so perfect for us - constraints etc but of course if it didn't suit us (or intelligent life) then we wouldn't exist and could not ask the question (anthropological principal). I'll leave 'God' out of it as that only begs who created 'him' (or the simulation we all live in programmer).

Life I believe is then simply a statistical probability given the right universe and local conditions. 

As to statistics - if life was a 1 in billion chance of it randomly happening on a young earth it would also be 1 a billion happening to any other planet or moon given similar conditions - they are not dependent on each other. Given that there are circa 200 trillion billion stars (or planets/moons) its going to get a pretty good number of rolls of the dice. Bound to be a inner occasionally (actually lots and lots of times).

That eventually leads us to the Fermi paradox - trying to place numbers on all these probabilities (the so called Drake equations) can lead to answers of tens or hundreds of technical civilizations out there   - so where is everybody?

The 'Zoo' answer I find most convincing.

23 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Hi Dylan.

The 'big bang' created the universe as we know it. It created the conditions for eventually stable 'matter' that leads to atoms and the ability for stars to form. A certain set of constants which if changed even slightly would lead to a Universe not as we know it if viable /stable at all. I seem to recall 10 to the power of 400 possible universes  (might of been 10 ^ 100 but you get the point). Unimaginably large! Cosmology tries to explain why our Universe is the way it is and why it is so perfect for us - constraints etc but of course if it didn't suit us (or intelligent life) then we wouldn't exist and could not ask the question (anthropological principal). I'll leave 'God' out of it as that only begs who created 'him' (or the simulation we all live in programmer).

Life I believe is then simply a statistical probability given the right universe and local conditions. 

As to statistics - if life was a 1 in billion chance of it randomly happening on a young earth it would also be 1 a billion happening to any other planet or moon given similar conditions - they are not dependent on each other. Given that there are circa 200 trillion billion stars (or planets/moons) its going to get a pretty good number of rolls of the dice. Bound to be a inner occasionally (actually lots and lots of times).

That eventually leads us to the Fermi paradox - trying to place numbers on all these probabilities (the so called Drake equations) can lead to answers of tens or hundreds of technical civilizations out there   - so where is everybody?

Thank you. That makes my brain hurt but nudges me a bit closer to your conclusion. 

I'm still not convinced that tic tacs are alien. I simply can't see why they would bother, unless of course they have a very advanced sense of humour. 

I'm reminded of Steven Spielberg attending a pre screening of ET with Ronald Reagan. Shortly after Reagan died, Spielberg claimed that Reagan had told him that his film was closer to the truth than he could imagine. Spielberg never knew if he was just the butt of Reagan's humour. 

https://www.vulture.com/2011/06/ronald_reagan_et.html

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Hi Dylan.

I don't like the "Dark Forest" theory probably the most worrying alien theory.

Which interestingly is a theory that Stephen Hawking did entertain.

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I don't like the "Dark Forest" theory probably the most worrying alien theory.

Which interestingly is a theory that Stephen Hawking did entertain.

All a bit too late if true ! Anybody in a 100 light years knows we are here just by our radio emissions.

I prefer to be more optimistic. Any civilisation that can cross the stars must have long ago become peaceful and tolerant. Wouldn't have survived otherwise.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Thank you. That makes my brain hurt but nudges me a bit closer to your conclusion. 

I'm still not convinced that tic tacs are alien. I simply can't see why they would bother, unless of course they have a very advanced sense of humour. 

I'm reminded of Steven Spielberg attending a pre screening of ET with Ronald Reagan. Shortly after Reagan died, Spielberg claimed that Reagan had told him that his film was closer to the truth than he could imagine. Spielberg never knew if he was just the butt of Reagan's humour. 

https://www.vulture.com/2011/06/ronald_reagan_et.html

Yes Reagans quip is odd.

I don't think we have a good explanation for any of the the recent released videos. I do think they are either natural, camera artifacts but otherwise as US stated 'not us' make of it what you will.

That said, the Fermi paradox holds ... where is everybody? If we are truly alone that would be remarkable and a 'great waste of space'. I think we'll find out fairly soon!

Edited by Yellow Fever

10 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

All a bit too late if true ! Anybody in a 100 light years knows we are here just by our radio emissions.

I prefer to be more optimistic. Any civilisation that can cross the stars must have long ago become peaceful and tolerant. Wouldn't have survived otherwise.

Bearing in mind that there are reports of UFO's going back 2,000 years that's not an unreasonable assumption. If of course the reports are genuine 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Yes Reagans quip is odd.

I don't think we have a good explanation for any of the the recent released videos. I do think they are either natural, camera artifacts but otherwise as US stated 'not us' make of it what you will.

That said, the Fermi paradox holds ... where is everybody? If we are truly alone that would be remarkable and a 'great waste of space'. I think we'll find out fairly soon!

The big question is will they be eligible to play in the Football League! 

I hope they hurry up. I've got 20 years left at best. 

On 16/03/2024 at 10:22, Yellow Fever said:

Of course there are other weirder possibilities but liquid water we know is abundant and a really good solvent for complex chemical reactions. Other possible solvents - ammonia for instance might work.

It just seems that 'water based' life could be really abundant anyway without invoking other scenarios of which we have no experience or evidence not that it can't be imagined.

It's a bit like musing on non-carbon based life - silicon, phosphorus or even mercury if I remember (plus others) - all could form the basis of complex chemistry perhaps under the right (extreme) conditions but carbon is by the far the most plausible and we already know that complex carbon organic molecules are floating free in space - the building blocks of life as we know it.

Thanks YF - my 'larger' point is that we are basing our assumptions on our science knowledge and if there is other life out there they could have a totally different science based on their existence. I am no scientist or have any knowledge in these matters but it does seem highly improbable, given the scale of the universe, that we on earth are unique in sustainable life and it would be wrong to base this on our experience of needing water as we are, as you rightly say, mostly carbon based. Could be very different elsewhere?

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Bearing in mind that there are reports of UFO's going back 2,000 years that's not an unreasonable assumption. If of course the reports are genuine 

My suspicion is its all a bit like us, now more enlightened, studying chimps or gorillas - especially if one tribe mastered fire. We're being watched / studied as a potential new member of the galactic set. New interesting friends.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, BurwellCanary said:

Thanks YF - my 'larger' point is that we are basing our assumptions on our science knowledge and if there is other life out there they could have a totally different science based on their existence. I am no scientist or have any knowledge in these matters but it does seem highly improbable, given the scale of the universe, that we on earth are unique in sustainable life and it would be wrong to base this on our experience of needing water as we are, as you rightly say, mostly carbon based. Could be very different elsewhere?

Be silly to exclude anything but Occam"s razor suggests carbon and water the most likely in the absence of any other data point. We currently have a sample size of 1.

On 17/03/2024 at 16:02, Yellow Fever said:

Yes Reagans quip is odd.

Maybe humanity's flaws are replicated through all living species so no species ever survives long enough to become advanced enough to discover other life off their own planets.

2 hours ago, Aggy said:

Anyone watched 3 body problem? 

Yes - Enjoyed it but ends leaving you hanging.

58 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Yes - Enjoyed it but ends leaving you hanging.

Thought the last couple of episodes were a bit weak. Quite enjoyed the earlier ones though.

I read that they “dumbed down” the science from the novel and Chinese tv show so as to appeal more to an American audience.