Sign in to follow this  
The Raptor

Norwich City legend Jeremy Goss hurt in NDR car crash

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/24128675.norwich-city-legend-jeremy-goss-hurt-ndr-car-crash/?fbclid=IwAR3ayCR6-2_7tdQK8INY1y85H4_8DHOtZDUuERHzdWdV7zYfpGGLk4aU8fw

Hopefully he's ok.

It won't let me read it without signing up or subscribing so I'll have to go old school and read my parents paper next time I'm there!

I'd guess it's was on one of the roundabouts with the weird lanes and dodgy camber. 

Don't be telling anyone my little secret but if you press the x to stop a webpage from loading before it gives you the "You must be subscribed to read this" thingie comes up you can read the article for free. But shhh, don't be telling anyone I told you

A Norwich City legend known for arguably the most famous goal in the club's history has revealed he is recovering from a "frightening" car crash.

Jeremy Goss, whose spectacular 1993 volley against Bayern Munich in the Uefa Cup is part of Canaries folklore, feels "lucky to be alive" after the crash on the outskirts of the city.

The 58-year-old former City and Wales midfielder was travelling along the NDR towards Sprowston, between the Norwich Aviation Museum and the roundabout near the airport, after appearing at a Saxon Air event.

He said: "I was in the left-hand lane, glanced in my rearview mirror and saw this blue car heading straight towards me - going well over the speed limit.

"I spontaneously gripped the steering wheel as tight as I could - so much that I later found out I cracked a bone on my wedding ring finger - and dropped my chin into my chest expecting the worst.

"The car collided into the back of me like an explosion - the sound was frightening.

"From then I didn't know what direction I was going in but I know the airbags went off and I was hit a second time before I eventually came to a standstill about 100 metres later.

"I ended up on the left-hand side of the carriageway, up on the grass verge, not knowing where I was. 

"I was worried the car could either be on fire, or catch fire, so I quickly opened my door and knew instantly I was in pain but was desperate to get out.

"I collapsed on the grass verge in a position which was as pain-free as possible - my initial worry was that I had broken my back.

"Before I knew it a fire engine appeared and an ambulance followed by the police.

"I feel lucky to be alive honestly."

The crash happened at around 3pm on Wednesday, January 31.

Mr Goss was treated by paramedics at the scene before being taken to the N&N Hospital where he underwent x-rays and tests - to get the all-clear - for roughly 10 hours.

The City legend - who worked as a fundraiser for the Norfolk and Norwich Association of the Blind after his playing days - is now on the road to recovery and able to walk on his own, but says he needs painkillers to combat the pain.

"It's taken me a while to recover," he added.

"I couldn't get out of bed for the first week and had my wife and sons help me.

"However I'm delighted to be walking around again and things are moving in the right direction.

"There's been damage done to my ribs, kidneys, lower back and hip but things could've been so much worse."

Despite the crash, Mr Goss joined former team-mates including Bryan Gunn, Chris Sutton, Ian Crook and Mark Bowen at Carrow Road on Friday night to rewatch their famous Uefa Cup victory over Bayern Munich with Canaries fans.

He said: "I didn't want to miss out on seeing my team-mates and was relieved I could get myself there.

"It has given me a huge boost to see them and it was a very special night - it meant the world to me.

"I was nearly just another statistic - it's been agony but I'm relieved to be up and about again."

Norfolk Police was approached for comment.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Thanks 6
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Don't be telling anyone my little secret but if you press the x to stop a webpage from loading before it gives you the "You must be subscribed to read this" thingie comes up you can read the article for free. But shhh, don't be telling anyone I told you

A Norwich City legend known for arguably the most famous goal in the club's history has revealed he is recovering from a "frightening" car crash.

Jeremy Goss, whose spectacular 1993 volley against Bayern Munich in the Uefa Cup is part of Canaries folklore, feels "lucky to be alive" after the crash on the outskirts of the city.

The 58-year-old former City and Wales midfielder was travelling along the NDR towards Sprowston, between the Norwich Aviation Museum and the roundabout near the airport, after appearing at a Saxon Air event.

He said: "I was in the left-hand lane, glanced in my rearview mirror and saw this blue car heading straight towards me - going well over the speed limit.

"I spontaneously gripped the steering wheel as tight as I could - so much that I later found out I cracked a bone on my wedding ring finger - and dropped my chin into my chest expecting the worst.

"The car collided into the back of me like an explosion - the sound was frightening.

"From then I didn't know what direction I was going in but I know the airbags went off and I was hit a second time before I eventually came to a standstill about 100 metres later.

"I ended up on the left-hand side of the carriageway, up on the grass verge, not knowing where I was. 

"I was worried the car could either be on fire, or catch fire, so I quickly opened my door and knew instantly I was in pain but was desperate to get out.

"I collapsed on the grass verge in a position which was as pain-free as possible - my initial worry was that I had broken my back.

"Before I knew it a fire engine appeared and an ambulance followed by the police.

"I feel lucky to be alive honestly."

The crash happened at around 3pm on Wednesday, January 31.

Mr Goss was treated by paramedics at the scene before being taken to the N&N Hospital where he underwent x-rays and tests - to get the all-clear - for roughly 10 hours.

The City legend - who worked as a fundraiser for the Norfolk and Norwich Association of the Blind after his playing days - is now on the road to recovery and able to walk on his own, but says he needs painkillers to combat the pain.

"It's taken me a while to recover," he added.

"I couldn't get out of bed for the first week and had my wife and sons help me.

"However I'm delighted to be walking around again and things are moving in the right direction.

"There's been damage done to my ribs, kidneys, lower back and hip but things could've been so much worse."

Despite the crash, Mr Goss joined former team-mates including Bryan Gunn, Chris Sutton, Ian Crook and Mark Bowen at Carrow Road on Friday night to rewatch their famous Uefa Cup victory over Bayern Munich with Canaries fans.

He said: "I didn't want to miss out on seeing my team-mates and was relieved I could get myself there.

"It has given me a huge boost to see them and it was a very special night - it meant the world to me.

"I was nearly just another statistic - it's been agony but I'm relieved to be up and about again."

Norfolk Police was approached for comment.

just disable javascript....much easier

7 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Sounds like he's talking up a big personal injury claim.

Watch out Aviva....

Sounds ghastly and I hope he recovers soon and well.

Shame it wasn't at a Roundabout, as it means we can't blame Norfolk Highways. I regard myself as a reasonable driver (OK I know, who doesn't)  and I have a thing about lane discipline, but those NDR Roundabouts... there's just something wrong with them. Maybe they are just counter-intuitive.