Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Italian fans letting us all down

19 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Fair play to Udinese here, the correct decision when they found one of the fans in question.

Udinese fan banned for life for racist abuse towards AC Milan goalkeeper Mike Maignan - BBC Sport

Makes a change. Usually in Italy they just wait a couple of weeks for the heat to die down and then quietly release a statement saying they couldn't find any evidence.

Which funnily enough was exactly what a statement from the Udinese Ultras said...

8 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

You obviously weren't on the receiving end then. Piers Morgan was all over it during that campaign, accused me of it on a couple of occasions on X!

Reductivism at its finest! 😉 

So do you think comparing people to pigs is the equivalent of a nuetral collective noun used to define an authoritarian political movement?

On 22/01/2024 at 11:16, TheGunnShow said:

Absolutely not, you've almost got a Gleichschaltung of the UK media here all encouraging people to kick down at the unemployed, immigrants, etc. when the real financial problem in terms of money being lost is tax evasion.

I remember Richard Murphy saying as a very conservative figure, tax evasion costs the UK government £35bn per year and due to how HMRC calculated its figures, he thinks it's a long way over that. Much easier to complain about the unemployed though.

It's way worse than that. We are the world champions. Read this book. Treasure Islands - Tax Havens and the men who stole the world. Please excuse the irony of using an Amazon link

https://amzn.eu/d/2T56jZI

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Carrow said:

So do you think comparing people to pigs is the equivalent of a nuetral collective noun used to define an authoritarian political movement?

I was just reacting to a non-thought through comment in your post. I found the analogy quite amusing personally. 

On 22/01/2024 at 21:16, Fen Canary said:

Finally you must knock around in vastly different social circles to myself as I’ve never seen a Nazi shrine in my life

As stated originally, it was through work.. I have no interest in meeting such people.

17 hours ago, Mr.Carrow said:

Politics is downstream of culture, right?

That depends on how skilled, efficient and competent an individual politician / political party / system is.

For politicians that are not very good at what they are meant to do, like the current govt iteration, they will focus on the "wedge" issues, not with a view to improve society for everyone, but to radicalise their base, appealing, by their rhetoric, to some of their worst instincts. 

A political party that is competent and forward-looking will focus instead on the best instincts and values of its citizens to forge a positive path forward. 

Why should a leader, erm, follow its followers' ?