Sign in to follow this  
Serinus canaria

Predicting player careers after Norwich

Hi All,

As our most saleable assets, where do you see Rowe and Sara's careers peaking after Norwich?

With better consistency I could see them both developing into regulars in established PL sides, but these things are so hard to predict (just look at the Murphy twins). The only players in recent times I thought would go on to the very top teams were Maddison and Buendia, I recall there were quite high hopes for Godfrey at some stage too.

And on the flip side, any thoughts for where our out of contract players will get to afterwards? In 2024 we have Dimi, McCallum, Gibson and Placheta out of contract. Sørenson could potentially go but there is an extra 1 year option. I think these players have peaked with us - perhaps Dimi could make the team of a promotion contender, while I wonder if we will hear of Placheta again.

A really tough call, but a very interesting thread.

IMO Rowe needs to be extremely careful about what his next move will be, and when. He has great talent but I could easily see him moving on too soon before he has developed his ability to be more of a team player and work better alongside his colleagues. Currently there is a selfishness to his play which I feel will hold him back at higher levels. He's good enough to terrorise championship defenders but I doubt if he could do it alone in the PL.

For me, Sara has the advantage of being very flexible, in both footballing terms and in how quickly he has adapted to life in a different country. My personal feeling is that he should look outside England for his next move, but I think he could cope at a mid-table PL outfit. He deserves a far better manager than Wagner.

Dimi, I imagine, will go to somewhere in Europe. He has the required technical ability and the generally slower pace would suit him when he is defending. Similarly, I think a European club would be better for Sorensen, who always looks calm and stylish but doesn't seem well suited to the kick and rush of the English game.

No idea about Placheta. His speed would make him ideal for an old-style team that plays fast wingers and a target man in the middle, but does anyone play like that any more?

Sargent should probably stay in England where his lack of touch is much less important than his work rate and nuisance value. Perhaps he and Placheta could end up playing for the same team.

Onel can become manager of the sports department at Argos. Fassnacht can star in a modern remake of The Invisible Man. Not sure about Long, but he definitely should not consider becoming a juggler. Sainz could be a spy - he has what looks like the stick-on beard for the post. Barnes will get a job as a bouncer at a nightclub and end up being charged with GBH.

Edited by canarybubbles

24 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Whatever happened to Andrew Omobamidele?

The same thing that may happen to Rowe if he goes too early and to the wrong club. I hope he considers his next move very seriously and doesn't just snatch at the first offer that comes along.

1 hour ago, Serinus canaria said:

Hi All,

As our most saleable assets, where do you see Rowe and Sara's careers peaking after Norwich?

With better consistency I could see them both developing into regulars in established PL sides, but these things are so hard to predict (just look at the Murphy twins). The only players in recent times I thought would go on to the very top teams were Maddison and Buendia, I recall there were quite high hopes for Godfrey at some stage too.

And on the flip side, any thoughts for where our out of contract players will get to afterwards? In 2024 we have Dimi, McCallum, Gibson and Placheta out of contract. Sørenson could potentially go but there is an extra 1 year option. I think these players have peaked with us - perhaps Dimi could make the team of a promotion contender, while I wonder if we will hear of Placheta again.

Jacob Murphy is doing ok at Newcastle and there were calls last night on 606 for Godfrey to be recalled to the Everton defence as a matter of urgency.

As for Dimi, McCallum, Gibson and Placheta "peaking with us" I would hate to see what they were like before they "peaked"

I disagree with the implication that the Murphy’s are some example of failure. One has been a big success , other earned a fantastic living playing at high level. This preoccupation with selling I find quite dull.