Canary73

Your Christmas Treats

5 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

I definitely have the asparagus gene. I like it, but my god my **** stinks after I've eaten it.

So do I.  I only discovered recently that it wasn't universal after getting blank looks when I mentioned it.  As I understand it, everyone's urine is affected but not everyone can smell it.

I like sprouts btw.

Edited by benchwarmer
  • Like 1

Many Christmas foods - stuffing, stollen, panetone, cake, trifle, mince pies etc. - contain gluten so are off limits for me.  Most gluten-free options aren't a patch on the original so I tend to look for alternatives.  The exception though is GF Christmas pudding which more than compensates for less stodge with more fruit and of course alcohol . . .

Edited by benchwarmer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, benchwarmer said:

Many Christmas foods - stuffing, stollen, panetone, cake, trifle, mince pies etc. - contain gluten so are off limits for me.  Most gluten-free options aren't a patch on the original so I tend to look for alternatives.  The exception though is GF Christmas pudding which more than compensates for less stodge with more fruit and of course alcohol . . .

I've been GF now too for about a year Benchwarmer. A sod really for many things but you lose weight gradually not eating stuff like pastries, biscuits, cakes.

Artisan do a GF nut roast (Lidl) or you can make one up easily (using an egg to bind it all, plus plenty of mushrooms). Many supermarkets do great GF mince pies too.

Sprouts are great too fried with garlic. Often use them sliced in many meals well outside of of the Xmas period. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Interesting. I'm not sure if it's linked, but whilst at university one of my flatmates who did Biology told me that there was a specific enzyme that some people had that would alter the taste of sprouts. Those who find them disgusting either had it/didn't have it, I can't recall. Maybe the genome is responsible for said enzyme, or maybe my mate was talking out of his backside.

I definitely have the asparagus gene. I like it, but my god my **** stinks after I've eaten it.

I have the asparagus gene too.😬 My flatmate had the coriander gene which cut out my take away curries for a while.

3 hours ago, Herman said:

I have the asparagus gene too.😬 My flatmate had the coriander gene which cut out my take away curries for a while.

I find coriander rather unpleasant but didn't realise there was a gene involved.  Cheers Herman.

Edited by benchwarmer
  • Thanks 1

On 16/12/2023 at 17:58, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Always get a bottle of Advokaat and or Bailey's in.

My grandmother wouldn't have drink in the house, except for a bottle of Stone's Green Ginger Wine at Christmas.

Edited by benchwarmer

Salmon for breakfast and then no snacks until Christmas Lunch in the afternoon. Sometimes Salmon Blini, sometimes Eggs Royale. One year I actually cooked it outside in the freezing cold on the BBQ in some tinfoil with lemon.

My colleagues at my former place of work used to call me a 'pound shop Tory' because of my de facto protein is Salmon. 🙃

Edited by TheRock