Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

The Genius of Playing Kenny McLean in Central Defence

I see Kenny gave away the ball in his usual fashion yesterday almost resulting in a goal.I feel we got a little bit lucky yesterday but it moves us in the right direction and adds to confidence. Wagner and his player / positional choices are still frustrating me though. Hernadez starting was a poor choice given his recent form, dropping batth for Kenny another weird one and dont get me started on Gibbs as an attacking midfielder. Is delia now picking the first team. Rant over. 

Kenny might not be a long-term solution in that position, but my goodness he will be just what we need against Ipswich, whose front line is so mobile as opposed to physical. Quite excited by the thought. 

21 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

They've not been available together yet, but I'd be hoping for a 4-2-3-1 with possibly one "out-and-out" winger, a number 10 and an attacking midfielder, with Lungi and Forshaw as the defensive pair of midfielders. At least with those two you know they're less likely to wander too far from the centre-halves and that should get the full-backs up.

That could also work with McLean at centre-half too - he and Lungi could probably swap places on the turnover.

I suspect you won't be seeing Forshaw and Sorensen together in midfield anytime soon.

What he needs to do, if he persists with Kenny at the back, is play Gibbs and Nunez as the deeper two with Sara pushed further forward.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I suppose I would describe it as a well struck long ball into the channel for the centre forward to chase. And, yes, he's obviously going to be better at bringing the ball out from the back than your average Championship central defender.

It's funny isn't it? All the talk before the game was about playing Kenny in central defence, with many posters citing it as evidence that Wagner had gone completely mad, but at the end of the day our defence wasn't noticeably any better or any worse than in previous games. 

Perhaps it just further evidence that many of the 20% are as clueless about football as most of them are about finance! 😇

Edited by Badger
Changed "and" to "as."
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

I suspect you won't be seeing Forshaw and Sorensen together in midfield anytime soon.

Agree, but I think that's the obvious combo to try if we're prone to exposing the back line.