birchfest

Has to be changes for Sunderland

22 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Only game I've seen recently was Leeds and he didn't really seem to be a false 9 in that game to me. Unless he was so good at it I missed it.

He was admittedly deployed a bit higher up and didn't have to drop as often because Gibbs done a ridiculous amount of running (with little effect, but that's another issue). And I think most would agree we looked much weaker when he left the field. Not just him, of course!

I think our problems are all about not having the right skills in the right areas of the pitch:

• our backup strikers are so poor at actually scoring that I genuinely advocate playing without either. We should play three attacking midfielders who can rotate in the 'false 9' position. 
  • Kenny isn't a CDM and shouldn't be playing so deep. If someone is going to drop into the defence all the time, they should be an actual defender. We should play three centre backs, allowing Kenny to play at 8 and the fullbacks to become wingbacks.

So I want to see a 3-4-3 in possession, 5-5-(0) without the ball. 

• Like 1

Just now, Petriix said:

So I want to see a 3-4-3 in possession, 5-5-(0) without the ball. 

So what is that?

Batth - Duffy - Gibson

Stacey - McLean - Sara - Dimi

Sainz - Rowe - Placheta

Something like that? Interesting.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

So what is that?

Batth - Duffy - Gibson

Stacey - McLean - Sara - Dimi

Sainz - Rowe - Placheta

Something like that? Interesting.

Yes (maybe Nunez for Placheta but, yes). 

• Thanks 1

The longer the sidelined players remain as such, the higher their stock rises.

Sorensen, Batth, Hanley , Nunez, Placheta ( to some extent ) and Forshaw are all now looked as ‘the missing links’. Sargent and Barnes are now considered 15-20 goal strikers.

None of them are.

I don't think these are quite the changes that anyone was asking for, but we'll see for sure whether Forshaw is up to the challenge. Stacey is probably the last defender anyone would have thought to drop. 

We will for sure whether these changes work, assuming the tactical approach remains unchanged then it's hard to see an improvement with that