Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Could Karius be a good signing?

Free agent in the summer, did well in the cup final.

Fits the tried and tested early model of Webber in which we signed people for free/cheap who were previously highly rated but needed to repair their reputations / grow their stock / rebuild their confidence.

Trybull, Leitner, and of course Tim Krul who had barely played for 2 years and third choice at Brighton! 

If we manage to get Krul off the wage bill in the summer, e.g. to PSV if they still fancy him, could Karius provide suitable competition for Gunn? Obviously a complete non-starter if we're still paying Krul.

I don’t think we necessarily need a new keeper next year - Gunn is now no1 and we have several reserves who ought to be looking to make the step up or leave.  I suppose it may depend which division we’re in, but I’m not sure Karius is that good an option (and did he do well in the cup final? Most of the pundits (harshly) blamed him for one of Man U’s goals).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would imagine his wages might be fairly tidy having played for Liverpool quite recently, would we really need that in addition to Gunn who appears to have developed well in the past few seasons and as Branston says we have several youth prospects that are good enough to provide cover. 

If we get promoted and Krul leaves then yes, good shout but without promotion it isn't worth the extra spend

18 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

No need to look any further than McGovern. Never let us down.

Alternatively get Angus to ask his dad. They are similar in age!!

As others have said, the sort of signing we might be looking at if we somehow make it to the Premier League, but doesn't look like a goer if we're still in the Champs.

(But it's a much better shout than Lee Camp that's for sure 😉 ) 

• Haha 1