Sign in to follow this  
Graham Paddons Beard

Idah and the one on one . Good refereeing?

The ref carried on because the player chose and was able to play on to take advantage of a goalscoring opportunity. 

I simply can't put any blame on the ref. 

It's not really a debate. 

• Thanks 1

Tricky one- I do think if he had gone down it would have been a yellow for keeper only.

If I'm being most picky, Idah should have gone to the keepers left, using his momentum against him.

18 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

The ref carried on because the player chose and was able to play on to take advantage of a goal scoring opportunity. 

I simply can't put any blame on the ref. 

I disagree, there very much is. Making the decision to play advantage doesn't end there. The ref can see if there is any advantage or whether advantage has been lost and can still bring it back to the original offence. 

When you watch the replay, you'll see that the contact from the keeper slows Idah down and allows the defender to get back and get tight to Idah, it also pushes him further wide which narrows the angle.

I love folks are saying that he should have buried it, despite him being off target and going from having rounded the keeper to have an empty net to have been stumbled, slowed and then have a defender on him. The ref could have brought back play for the free kick at any moment up until and including the shot being hit and the goal missed.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

The ref carried on because the player chose….to take advantage of a goalscoring opportunity. 

It wouldn’t be a debate if anywhere in the Laws of Association Football it says that a player can decide on the interpretation of the law.  I’m afraid nowhere in any of the Laws does it say a player can chose to make a decision on behalf of the officials. 
Law 5. The referee . 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

It wouldn’t be a debate if anywhere in the Laws of Association Football it says that a player can decide on the interpretation of the law.  I’m afraid nowhere in any of the Laws does it say a player can chose to make a decision on behalf of the officials. 
Law 5. The referee . 

Completely agree. However:

The problem I have is if the referee had stopped it and awarded a penalty and it was then missed we would all be up in arms idah wasn't allowed to go on and score. 

Play went on and idah missed an open goal, but he was under pressure and forced wide. Now we think it should have been a penalty because he didn't score. 

I would hate to be a ref at this time. 

Fans tend to apply the rules of the game to what may benefit their team and it can go either way. 

How would you honestly feel if an opposition player evaded a foul, stayed on his feet then went on to miss an open goal. then the ref brings it back for a pen?

Be honest here. As a Norwich fan I would feel hard done by. Aggrieved. 

46 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

How would you honestly feel if an opposition player evaded a foul, stayed on his feet then went on to miss an open goal. then the ref brings it back for a pen?

Be honest here. As a Norwich fan I would feel hard done by. Aggrieved. 

Well that's quite possibly true. But that opposition fan would probably feel like I do.

Trying to view the game through the eyes of opposition fans doesn't give you a balanced view. Just gives you the opposite view.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Well that's quite possibly true. But that opposition fan would probably feel like I do.

Trying to view the game through the eyes of opposition fans doesn't give you a balanced view. Just gives you the opposite view.

My opinions are about a fair game of football. I'm a Norwich fan and want to win fairly. 

I find your comment odd

Edited by Chelm Canary

1 minute ago, Chelm Canary said:

My opinions are about a fair game of football. I'm a Norwich fan and want to win fairly. 

I find your comment odd

So was Idah fouled?

Just now, nutty nigel said:

So was Idah fouled?

Yes, but if he had scored would you prefer the ref scrap it and pull it back to a penalty?

2 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

Yes, but if he had scored would you prefer the ref scrap it and pull it back to a penalty?

It wouldn't have been a pen whatever happened because the foul was outside the box. However Idah never really recovered balance and both players were clearly feeling the challenge for a while. 

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

It wouldn't have been a pen whatever happened because the foul was outside the box. However Idah never really recovered balance and both players were clearly feeling the challenge for a while. 

So if you were the ref what would your decision be?

12 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

So if you were the ref what would your decision be?

I would have brought it back to the foul because Adam didn't recover fully enough to take the advantage. 

If I was an opposition fan I would have said it was Adam's own fault for not going down.

Of course if Adam had gone down the ref would have had to send the keeper off. I expect the ref was quite relieved about that.

I don't think there's much fairness in your point of view.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

would have brought it back to the foul because Adam didn't recover fully enough to take the advantage.

And you would have done that for the opposition?

I think there is some dishonesty going on here. 

7 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

If I was an opposition fan I would have said it was Adam's own fault for not going down.

So we agree. Thank you. 

5 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

So we agree. Thank you. 

Only if you are a Cardiff fan.

As I said, the opposition view isn't a fair view it's the opposite view.

What is fair about your and the opposition view?

I suggest nothing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

And you would have done that for the opposition?

I think there is some dishonesty going on here. 

If you now want me to speculate the referee's view, as I said I expect he was relieved Adam didn't go down.

Back to my view...

I thought the ref may be Welsh.

7 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I would have brought it back to the foul because Adam didn't recover fully enough to take the advantage. 

Of course if Adam had gone down the ref would have had to send the keeper off. I expect the ref was quite relieved about that.

I don't think there's much fairness in your point of view.

Interesting Nutty. So you would have played the advantage as the ref did, let Idah take the benefit of that to get a shot on goal, miss it, and then pull it back for a foul? Many would say the advantage was played out as soon as he had his shot. 'Advantage' is, of course, subjective.

As an aside, I don't recall Idah or any of the other players kicking up a fuss over the incident. Players are never usually backwards about coming forwards with their complaints.

OTBC

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Interesting Nutty. So you would have played the advantage as the ref did, let Idah take the benefit of that to get a shot on goal, miss it, and then pull it back for a foul? Many would say the advantage was played out as soon as he had his shot. 'Advantage' is, of course, subjective.

As an aside, I don't recall Idah or any of the other players kicking up a fuss over the incident. Players are never usually backwards about coming forwards with their complaints.

OTBC

I'm not a referee or an opposition fan. Let's get that one straight.

However, I don't believe Idah ever properly recovered balance from the foul.

It's up to you refs on here to decide what should happen without viewing it as an opposition fan.

What are the laws of the game ref? 

13 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I'm not a referee or an opposition fan. Let's get that one straight

It's a discussion. Nobody said you're a referee or support another team 

10 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I'm not a referee or an opposition fan. Let's get that one straight.

I never indicated you were either of those Nutty. I was just trying to understand your take on the subject; it's an interesting topic.

OTBC

2 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

I never indicated you were either of those Nutty. I was just trying to understand your take on the subject; it's an interesting topic.

OTBC

I know you didn't. It was a reference to what had occurred in this interesting discussion. 

I clearly don't know the rules. I rather suspect the referee's discretion will come into them at some point.

What I do know is...

It was a clear foul.

Had Idah gone down the keeper would have been sent off.

Idah was running at pace and the foul affected what happened as he played on. He was off balance which caused a stumble and the heavier touch made the goal scoring opportunity much harder.

7 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

I'm not from Norwich but my dad is. And I love the club.

I think the charity work put in by nutty and others is brilliant. 

Of course you love the club, we all do. That's why we are here. But if you try and view an incident as an opposition fan you won't find a fairer opinion. Just the opposite opinion.

Btw I make no claim on Rays funds. It's a community effort by posters on this message board which is open to us all in all the ways we support it.👍

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Of course you love the club, we all do. That's why we are here. But if you try and view an incident as an opposition fan you

You couldn't just leave it with a nice compliment and which is true.

What a shame. I gave you a compliment and you have come back with this. 

6 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

Let's try again...

Of course you love the club, we all do. That's why we are here. But if one tries view an incident as an opposition fan one won't find a fairer opinion. Just the opposite opinion.

33 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

Leave it now? 🙏

Back on track...

5 min 40 sec 

I get that Adam played on but that seriously affected the quality of the chance and meant the only advantage was Cardiff finishing with 11 men. If ever there was a training video why a forward should go down this is it.

Edited by nutty nigel