Sign in to follow this  
Greavsy

Peter Mendham

4 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Very sad story.

I never met the chap but he came to NZ to play in our off season. To play for Miramar Rangers, the neighbourhood I lived in but didn't play for. City were sending a few lads out in the close season. John Fashanu was not liked as he charged for signed photos etc and walked about like a prized prat. But Peter was loved. He played at a level far below his but gave his all. And when he finally left for home the club showered him with mementos etc. And he cried at the presentation as he was touched by the clubs respect for him.

So I guess there is a decent bloke in there and maybe what he did is inexcusable and unforgettable but obviously not something he wants to elaborate on too much anymore.

I did get to meet him when I was 6. Got the photo to prove it. To my knowledge it's the only photo in my family album of an alleged ******* ********. 

9 hours ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

I did get to meet him when I was 6. Got the photo to prove it. To my knowledge it's the only photo in my family album of an alleged ******* ********. 

I'm not aware of any allegations pertaining to him, he's a convicted attempted murderer, nothing alleged there, who has done his time for the crime. And people oughta read his book, his victim visited him in prison and has accepted his apology.

17 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

While I’m sure he hasn’t had an easy time with things, he’s left out  another major event that happened in his life that we all know about 

Yep, if he'd have got himself back on the property market he wouldn't have been able to keep up with mortgage payments while incarcerated. 

Not sure how much sympathy he is expecting really, he got £206k in today's money when retiring, and managed to end up with no skilled profession, business or property to show for it. Some people just aren't very good with money.

Footballers going bankrupt because they spend like they are still playing or make silly financial decisions is rather quite common, even amongst those who come across as very intelligent and articulate (Chris Sutton and David James for example).

17 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I hope he doesn't need to hire a libel lawyer. They don't come cheap.

I suspect the financial advisor will be more worried about a man with a history of extreme violence having an axe to grind and seeking to find out where he lives than over reputational damage, and sounds like Mendham hasn't got the means to pay any settlement anyway.

That said, remember this? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-25668897

And recognise a name?

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

2 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

I'm not aware of any allegations pertaining to him, he's a convicted attempted murderer, nothing alleged there, who has done his time for the crime. And people oughta read his book, his victim visited him in prison and has accepted his apology.

He isn't a "convicted attempted murderer", he was convicted of wounding with intent.

He was released after serving half of his five year term, only to be recalled to prison within weeks to serve the rest of his sentence after attempting to contact the victim. 

You really are losing the plot today. Just read this and think about your hollow words. He ruined her life.

https://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/news/22919189.ex-canary-peter-mendham-back-jail/

Here's the victim statement, give your head a wobble:

“My thoughts and fears throughout this horrible incident have always been for my young daughter, who was very nearly left without a mother.

Both she and I will have to bear the physical and emotional scars of what happened on that night for the rest of our lives.

Peter and I did have an argument but I didn't deserve what he did to me, no-one has the right to inflict such awful violence on another person.

He is a man who I had looked up to and who said he loved me and my daughter, but ultimately he was capable of and prepared to carry out a vicious attack on me.

I feel extremely fortunate that I survived it and I hope now that my daughter and I can get on with our lives.

I would like to thank the doctors who saved me, the police who have supported me throughout the investigation and court proceedings, and the court for making Peter pay for what he did.”

And here's here mothers...

“We cannot begin to tell of the awful and terrible pain that Charlotte has suffered due to this horrific incident.

On the 18th October last year, my daughter called me crying down the phone, she told me she had been stabbed in the back by Peter Mendham and begged me to call the ambulance, she asked me to look after children and to tell them how much she loved them both.

I remember arriving at the hospital and all the family were called into a room together and told to get ready to say goodbye to her as they did not expect her to live.

You cannot imagine the pain we all felt as we stood and joined hands and prayed for her.

My little granddaughter's face as she stood beside her mother in the hospital will be with me forever. Charlotte is a beautiful young mother who now bares the most brutal physical scares from this and also the emotional scars will be with her and her children for the rest of their lives"

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He was released after serving half of his term, only to be recalled to prison within weeks to serve the rest of his sentence after attempting to contact the victim. 

You really are losing the plot today. Just read this and think about your hollow words. He ruined her life.

https://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/news/22919189.ex-canary-peter-mendham-back-jail/

Oh bless you, using mitigation in a drink-driving case as the basis for your opinions.

11 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Oh bless you, using mitigation in a drink-driving case as the basis for your opinions.

Now read my whole post, edited to show that you can't even get his conviction right. This line sticks out for me, from those victim statements:

"My thoughts and fears throughout this horrible incident have always been for my young daughter, who was very nearly left without a mother"

You read his book and then still managed to falsely claim that he is a "convicted attempted murderer", that's defamatory isn't it?

On a roll today mate aren't you. Defending Peter Mendham but manage to falsely accuse him of being a convicted attempted murderer in the process, and wanting more people to drive cars more because you don't care about pollution. You sound like a great chap, I bet lots of people want to be your friend.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Now read my whole post, edited to show that you can't even get his conviction right. This line sticks out for me, from those victim statements:

"My thoughts and fears throughout this horrible incident have always been for my young daughter, who was very nearly left without a mother"

You read his book and then still managed to falsely claim that he is a "convicted attempted murderer", that's defamatory isn't it?

On a roll today mate aren't you. Defending Peter Mendham but manage to falsely accuse him of being a convicted attempted murderer in the process, and wanting more people to drive cars more because you don't care about pollution. You sound like a great chap.

Good point, he was given a lesser offence.

3 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Good point, he was given a lesser offence.

Its not a "lesser offence". the maximum sentence for both is life imprisonment. Again, clueless.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Its not a "lesser offence". the maximum sentence for both is life imprisonment. Again, clueless.

Ah yes, attempting to kill someone and wounding with intent is the same thing. I wonder why he bothered pleading not guilty to one but guilty of the other if the offences are the same? Any ideas, TvB?

13 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Ah yes, attempting to kill someone and wounding with intent is the same thing. I wonder why he bothered pleading not guilty to one but guilty of the other if the offences are the same? Any ideas, TvB?

Murder is premeditated, so attempted murder has to be premeditated. He didn't invite her to his house with the intention of inflicting damage, she turned up at his house to return an engagement ring and then he inflicted the damage. That's the difference.

I just hope that my daughters don't marry somebody who is willing to be an apologist for people like Peter Mendham, you really aren't showing yourself in a good light here. He served his sentence in a normal prison, which means he wasn't deemed to have extenuating circumstances which diminished responsibility, such as through a psychiatric evaluation. There is no angle from which you can justify a defence of this man and come out of it looking like anything other than completely unhinged yourself.

Do you have some deep rooted hatred of women which would cause you to try and rationalise this crime like this? There's not much else that I have to say.

3 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

who has done his time for the crime. 

Oh that's OK then, anybody can do whatever they want. Rape, murder, child abuse, but once their prison sentence is over we can pretend they never did it and they are completely normal members of society and we can all be mates.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

21 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Murder is premeditated, so attempted murder has to be premeditated. He didn't invite her to his house with the intention of inflicting damage, she turned up at his house to return an engagement ring and then he inflicted the damage. That's the difference.

I just hope that my daughters don't marry somebody who is willing to be an apologist for people like Peter Mendham, you really aren't showing yourself in a good light here. 

Apologist? Where? TvB the master strawman maker. 

The bloke committed a terrible crime and went to prison and served the sentence society deemed appropriate for the nature of that crime. With that in mind and having met the bloke (whilst he was volunteering his own free time for grassroots football) and knowing the millions of pounds he has raised for East Anglian Air Ambulance (a charity who once landed a helicopter on Cromer beach to come to the aid of my son), I'll form an opinion of him. Even if it does cause some weirdo on the internet to get his knickers in a twist. 

By the way, if you are interested in learning something, attempted murder IS treated as a more serious offence in our justice system than wounding with intent. I think you're aware of this, but your contrarian nature doesn't allow you to admit it, you're inherent need to score a point on the internet seems to override the importance you place in facts and truth. However, in case you genuinely are mistaken, just because crimes have a maximum life sentence does not make them equal. Specific crimes are given sentencing guidelines; attempted murder has a range of 3-40 years, wounding with intent has a range of 2-16 years.

Edited by canarydan23

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

and knowing the millions of pounds he has raised for East Anglian Air Ambulance (a charity who once landed a helicopter on Cromer beach to come to the aid of my son), I'll form an opinion of him

You realise he got paid a salary for this right? That it was his full-time job? 

And that he got sacked from this job after a conviction for drink driving months before he stabbed his ex-girlfriend in the kidney? And that he initially refused to take a breathalyser test? I don't suppose he'd choose to put that in his book would he?

Wonder how many times the air ambulance has been called out to deal with the aftermath of drink driving, or how many local people have lost their children due to drink drivers. 

Looking forward to what tripe you try and conjure up to defend that. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I suspect the financial advisor will be more worried about a man with a history of extreme violence having an axe to grind and seeking to find out where he lives than over reputational damage, and sounds like Mendham hasn't got the means to pay any settlement anyway.

That said, remember this? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-25668897

And recognise a name?

Thanks. That is interesting. Re murder (or attempted murder) and premeditation, that does not have to mean a plan thought out some time in advance. It can mean that someone suddenly decides to murder someone and does so a second or two later.

10 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Thanks. That is interesting. Re murder (or attempted murder) and premeditation, that does not have to mean a plan thought out some time in advance. It can mean that someone suddenly decides to murder someone and does so a second or two later.

Perhaps just harder to prove.

Great servant to Norwich City as a player in the late 70's to mid 80's and as a community officer in the early 90's!

Very sad how his life ended up after his career ended.

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Perhaps just harder to prove.

Actually the same as GBH With intent except that the intent for murder is to kill or cause grievous bodily harm, rather than just cause grievous bodily harm for GBH.