Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Do we need a manager who…

My worry is that our hunt for a good manager will be thwarted by the total lack of transfer funds we have to play with in January. Tbf to Dean Smith he came in and had nothing in first window and next to nothing in second.

Realistically we might be in the poor scenario whereby we need a manager who will agree to work on a zero transfer kitty - and that will immediately rule out some of the better names we have been linked with 

I don't think it's fair to say DS had nothing in his second window.

He kept all the previous promotion winning players who were in the squad which is more than most. 

He then got Hayden, a proven player at low Prem level for the season.

He then got Sara and Nunez for what, 10m?

He then got proven championship players into the squad rather than on loan in Hugill, McCallum and Sinani.

I would argue He got more than the rest of the Championship really?

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I don't think it's fair to say DS had nothing in his second window.

He kept all the previous promotion winning players who were in the squad which is more than most. 

He then got Hayden, a proven player at low Prem level for the season.

He then got Sara and Nunez for what, 10m?

He then got proven championship players into the squad rather than on loan in Hugill, McCallum and Sinani.

I would argue He got more than the rest of the Championship really?

I think that’s rather overplaying it, but I guess we did what we could.  Nowt in window 1 (when it was desperately needed) + Sara, Nunez and a couple of loans in window 2 doesn’t exactly reach astonishing levels, though (particularly when Hayden has been injured far more often than being fully fit).

You definitely get the impression there won’t be a lot to play with financially if the new guy wants to top up what we have without losing anyone.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Maxi and Cantwell (poss our highest stock) are probably worth about £5m each at the moment 😕 

I think the new manager needs to be given the rest of the season to put a ethos / culture back into the squad and see if we cant give some of the younger lads some playing time.

We risk losing a lot of people in the Summer so i think we need to consolidate our squad, trim some dead wood and siphon a few up and comers from other teams.

Promotion (probably not on the cards) will give us the Prem money but it will be another painful and dull season of losing to Man City Reserves Reserves. 
Just finish top 10 this year and push for promotion next season.

Thanks Dean. Thanks a lot. 

Edited by Nexus_Canary

24 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Maxi and Cantwell (poss our highest stock) are probably worth about £5m each at the moment 😕 

Max Aarons will be worth north of that, still has age on his side and potential.

Cantwell is on a free in the summer, able to speak to teams outside of England and is now 24+ so we'd be lucky to get £5m. More realistically £1-3m from a team in the prem relegation battle who don't want to spend loads but are looking to bring something in that could add to what they have and be good if they go down. Or a top six championship side with a bit of cash to inject some more into their side and cement that position for the play-offs or better.

Shef Utd, Burnley and Watford might be tempted for that price. 

Edited by chicken

New manager needs to get this set of players playing. No budget for Jan. Needs to get them all in the shop window for the summer or the model doesn't work.

34 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

That reflects so poorly on Smith and is the perfect reason why we shouldn't go for Dyche either. Teams who play rubbish football never sell their players to bigger sides, and that practice is what has kept the club afloat the past 5 years.

• Like 1