Sign in to follow this  
Petriix

Let's consider this in context...

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

No.  I just prefer a fair argument rather than a one-eyed and biased one, but I think many on here are only interested showing how ‘right’ they are as if it’s some sort of competition.

There's nothing biased about the facts in my original post, which was made at half time before the debacle of the second half. After the result it's even more damning: we were beaten by the side in 16th place who had only won twice at home all season and were down to 10 men.

I'm struggling to imagine what other relevant facts would bring balance to that context. This wasn't just a regular away defeat to a decent Championship side it was total tactical ineptitude culminating in a loss in a game we should have probably won, but at least looked competitive.

Your idea of balance is similar to when the BBC used to bring in a climate change denier for 'balance' giving them equal weight to the entire scientific concensus supporting the actual facts as if they were two equal sides of the debate. 

Is Branston the only Norwich fan left in the world who supports "Deano"? 

I'm guessing not and just enjoys playing devil's advocate. 

Not a single soul (without a binman's cap anyway) could possibly want this joke to remain on the touchline.

Hoggy has turned, Nutty has seen the light and realised that Deano isn't Worthy. Anyone left?

15 minutes ago, Canario said:

Is Branston the only Norwich fan left in the world who supports "Deano"? 

I'm guessing not and just enjoys playing devil's advocate. 

Not a single soul (without a binman's cap anyway) could possibly want this joke to remain on the touchline.

Hoggy has turned, Nutty has seen the light and realised that Deano isn't Worthy. Anyone left?

I do play devil’s advocate a lot on here, it is otherwise a pointless talking shop for whoever shouts loudest and most often.  The last week is a perfect case in point, the scope for reasonable discussion diminishing daily.

I thought Smith a decent appointment based on what I know about him. It’s not working out, I expect him to be booted soon enough. Am I happy about that? no, and nor should any proper NCFC supporter as It means we’re failing.

This may have been the wrong thread to choose, the point is lost on too many, but ‘context’ depends on your point of view.  For example, Luton are xth in a form table of y number of games, that’s fine. But I saw a form table the other day that showed us even lower after more games - you see where context can mislead.  I suppose as Petrilix says, this isn’t the bbc so you don’t need to be ‘balanced’.  

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

Branston’s just doing classic Branston.

“I’m not wrong, you just don’t get it - but rather than explain what my actual point is, that literally no one ‘gets’ I’ll say I can’t be bothered to explain it to you (as my get out of jail free card).”

It’s borderline funny how often this cycle emerges 😂

• Like 1

Just now, SwearyCanary said:

Branston’s just doing classic Branston.

“I’m not wrong, you just don’t get it - but rather than explain what my actual point is, that literally no one ‘gets’ I’ll say I can’t be bothered to explain it to you (as my get out of jail free card).”

It’s borderline funny how often this cycle emerges 😂

Or you could read what I’ve written. Oh no, that would never work…

Fair enough. It would indeed be a very dull place without opposing views.

Unfortunately we've got to the point where there is no opposing view. Pity as he seems a decent enough bloke. Best the board do their job rather than have him thrown to the wolves next home game 

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I do play devil’s advocate a lot on here, it is otherwise a pointless talking shop for whoever shouts loudest and most often.  The last week is a perfect case in point, the scope for reasonable discussion diminishing daily.

I thought Smith a decent appointment based on what I know about him. It’s not working out, I expect him to be booted soon enough. Am I happy about that? no, and nor should any proper NCFC supporter as It means we’re failing.

This may have been the wrong thread to choose, the point is lost on too many, but ‘context’ depends on your point of view.  For example, Luton are xth in a form table of y number of games, that’s fine. But I saw a form table the other day that showed us even lower after more games - you see where context can be misused. 

I’m a proper supporter. I’d be happy if DS was sacked. Fortunately you don’t decide what is regarded as a ‘proper supporter’. I see your view as blindly unquestioning and not holding ‘custodians’ of the club to account as far more passive than any ‘proper’ supporter should be. Doesn’t make me right, but it’s as valid a point as yours, you just believe you’re always right. Thankfully you don’t run the club.

Presumably you think we should keep him because you feel he is not failing? Be good to hear your defence of him. 

1 minute ago, Canario said:

Fair enough. It would indeed be a very dull place without opposing views.

Unfortunately we've got to the point where there is no opposing view. Pity as he seems a decent enough bloke. Best the board do their job rather than have him thrown to the wolves next home game 

I can’t get up for Friday’s game, but if DS is still about I reckon he needs an astonishing opening 10 minutes or it’ll be rather nasty.  Or empty. Or both.

6 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Or you could read what I’ve written. Oh no, that would never work…

You’ve not said anything though have you? You made a point, flimsier than a wet paper bag, got an alternative challenge to your point then you’ve just got all huffy and refuse to engage because we are all ignorant to the genius that is you. 

7 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

I’m a proper supporter. I’d be happy if DS was sacked. Fortunately you don’t decide what is regarded as a ‘proper supporter’. I see your view as blindly unquestioning and not holding ‘custodians’ of the club to account as far more passive than any ‘proper’ supporter should be. Doesn’t make me right, but it’s as valid a point as yours, you just believe you’re always right. Thankfully you don’t run the club.

Presumably you think we should keep him because you feel he is not failing? Be good to hear your defence of him. 

Well, there you’d be totally wrong, you appear able to read but not understand what you’re reading.

“It’s not working out, I expect him to be booted soon enough. Am I happy about that? no, and nor should any proper NCFC supporter as It means we’re failing.”

Edit, instead of ‘failing’ perhaps I should have said ‘doing badly’.  No one can be happy with recent performances.

Edited by Branston Pickle

3 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

You’ve not said anything though have you? You made a point, flimsier than a wet paper bag, got an alternative challenge to your point then you’ve just got all huffy and refuse to engage because we are all ignorant to the genius that is you. 

You just don’t seem to read posts, do you. You may as well just ignore mine, you seem determined to know what they’ll say anyway.

5 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Well, there you’d be totally wrong, you appear able to read but not understand what you’re reading.

“It’s not working out, I expect him to be booted soon enough. Am I happy about that? no, and nor should any proper NCFC supporter as It means we’re failing.”

Edit, instead of ‘failing’ perhaps I should have said ‘doing badly’.  No one can be happy with recent performances.

It’s enough that you would be unhappy to have him booted out to render the rest of your post laughable. In my opinion. 
But then it’s the same point you’ve been making for months. Never changes, never commits, never fails to include condescension. 

Just now, SwearyCanary said:

It’s enough that you would be unhappy to have him booted out to render the rest of your post laughable. In my opinion. 
But then it’s the same point you’ve been making for months. Never changes, never commits, never fails to include condescension. 

Really?  My point is that getting rid of the manager means it’s gone pear-shaped.  I spend £several thousand a year watching NCFC, I’d much rather they were succeeding.   Wouldn’t you?

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

Really?  My point is that getting rid of the manager means it’s gone pear-shaped.  I spend £several thousand a year watching NCFC, I’d much rather they were succeeding.   Wouldn’t you?

Of course, but just wanting to say they are isn’t the reality of football clubs. Evolution, change and progress are all intertwined with moving oersonnel in and out via sackings and appointments. It’s not a failure to sack a failing manager, it’s a failure not to. Sacking DS should be celebrated as a step towards becoming successful, not a mourning period for bad decisions we made leading up to the sacking. Dwelling on it is just pointless 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Of course, but just wanting to say they are isn’t the reality of football clubs. Evolution, change and progress are all intertwined with moving oersonnel in and out via sackings and appointments. It’s not a failure to sack a failing manager, it’s a failure not to. Sacking DS should be celebrated as a step towards becoming successful, not a mourning period for bad decisions we made leading up to the sacking. Dwelling on it is just pointless 

Well we got there - in a roundabout way we dk actually agree with one another. 

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

Well we got there - in a roundabout way we dk actually agree with one another. 

I think we can draw a line under that as some kind of success 😂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

That’s as maybe, but it wasn’t really the point, and having to explain it now isn’t something I can be bothered to do.

I'm terribly sorry to trespass on your valuable time.

7 hours ago, Petriix said:

There's nothing biased about the facts in my original post, which was made at half time before the debacle of the second half. After the result it's even more damning: we were beaten by the side in 16th place who had only won twice at home all season and were down to 10 men.

I'm struggling to imagine what other relevant facts would bring balance to that context. This wasn't just a regular away defeat to a decent Championship side it was total tactical ineptitude culminating in a loss in a game we should have probably won, but at least looked competitive.

Your idea of balance is similar to when the BBC used to bring in a climate change denier for 'balance' giving them equal weight to the entire scientific concensus supporting the actual facts as if they were two equal sides of the debate. 

With lutons home form not being great and a new manager bedding in...i actually thought we'd probably win last night and buy Smith more time

..at 1-1 and luton then down to 10 men with 10 mins to go, I feared that it was an open goal that even Smith couldnt fail to take advajtage of

The fact that he still managed to lose even in those circumstances just reinforces the loser he is

As the saying goes...'If you cant be a good manager be a lucky one'

Sadly he's neither

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

12 hours ago, Petriix said:

Luton have just 14 points in their last 11 games and are 17th in the 6-game form table. They're 16th in the league and objectively one of the weakest opponents we'll face this season. 

They are better organised, showing more desire and passing better than us. If any we've picked a formation to nullify them rather than play to our own strengths.

We undoubtedly have more quality in every single position on the pitch, but we look second best in most regards. If anyone was in any doubt as to why some of us have had enough of Dean Smith then it's on disc right now. 

That magic spark which made us so exciting to watch has been totally removed from the team - the creativity, dynamic movement, intuitive passing all gone. We're a shell of a team, just going through the motions. I want us to be able to get behind the players but there's simply nothing there to support.

At this rate we're heading for mid table. Something has to change. 

So blame the players. Hell, I think that's half the problem: the players do hold themselves accountable for what happens on pitch, but somehow fans think that  players are so unimportant that they obsess over the manager all of the time.

• Like 1