The Great Mass Debater

Dean Smith trending on Twitter

If Villa offered him the job and he wanted it, then I'd wish him well after the totally unreasonable disrespect he has had from some Norwich fans. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

If Villa offered him the job and he wanted it, then I'd wish him well after the totally unreasonable disrespect he has had from some Norwich fans. 

Spot on - some of the garbage has been ridiculous.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I’ve been respectful about the man. But the manager is pants 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Respectfully disagree 

• A championship promotion
  • Keeping promoted. team up
  • Two cup finals at two different teams 

Walsall from 2011 to 2015, Brentford from 2015 to 2018, AV from 2018 to 2021. Only ever sacked once by AV after being only days short of three years in post and many of their fans hate that fact. The fact is that many of our fans seem to be simply demented as far as their assessment of Smith's ability is concerned; they simply can't see past the fact he didn't manage to keep up a Norwich team that was never going to survive in a million years. 

To call him pants is just ridiculous. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:
  • A championship promotion
  • Keeping promoted. team up
  • Two cup finals at two different teams 

Walsall from 2011 to 2015, Brentford from 2015 to 2018, AV from 2018 to 2021. Only ever sacked once by AV after being only days short of three years in post and many of their fans hate that fact. The fact is that many of our fans seem to be simply demented as far as their assessment of Smith's ability is concerned; they simply can't see past the fact he didn't manage to keep up a team that was never going to survive in a million years. 

To call him pants is just ridiculous. 

You can bang that drum if you like, but I watch us play. We are crap and it’s a combination of tactics, team selection, attitude, lack of positivity on the pitch. This is the style that Smith has spent a calendar year developing and it’s utter pants. Calling me ridiculous for saying that is your call. I didn’t call you ridiculous when you went on your tragic rant/borderline breakdown earlier this week. I don’t care what he has done for Walsall or Brentford or Villa, I care what he has done for NCFC. The answer is, taken us down with a whimper, rebuilt a team of sorts but plays the squad we had already in place consistently and largely out of position or away from their strengths, makes no effort to engage with the supporters, plays awful awful football.

The logic that because he was once ‘good’ (debatable) means he is always good is not valid. Football moves on and the here and now matters. 

Edited by SwearyCanary
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, SwearyCanary said:

l

3 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

You can bang that drum if you like, but I watch us play. We are crap and it’s a combination of tactics, team selection, attitude, lack of positivity on the pitch. This is the style that Smith has spent a calendar year developing and it’s utter pants. Calling me ridiculous for saying that is your call. I didn’t call you ridiculous when you went on your tragic rant/borderline breakdown earlier this week. I don’t care what he has done for Walsall or Brentford or Villa, I care what he has done for NCFC. The answer is, taken us down with a whimper, rebuilt a team of sorts but plays the squad we had already in place consistently and largely out of position or away from their strengths, makes no effort to engage with the supporters, plays awful awful football.

The logic that because he was once ‘good’ (debatable) means he is always good is not valid. Football moves on and the here and now matters. 

Farke had a whole season before we started looking like winners. Was he pants?

3 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

l

Clearly - but then plenty were calling for him to be sacked on many different occasions.  It’s just the way of things - short termism mixed with entitlement.  

That said, all managers have a shelf life, and part of that is taking supporters with them - it’s very hard/almost impossible to turn it round if people are campaigning against a manager.  The weird/strange thing here is that many weren’t even willing to give him even the remotest of chances.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

l

No, he played football with a strike and identity which once his personnel were in we could see more and more clearly. I went knowing I’d be watching football being played and he got us clicking far more swiftly than Smith. He also had additional qualities that made his earlier tenure a more positive experience. The difference is that he had a plan and the fans invested in it and he took us in that journey because we felt it had something. Smith hasn’t engaged many, except you. Do you enjoy watching the 4-3-3 this season? 

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Clearly - but then plenty were calling for him to be sacked on many different occasions.  It’s just the way of things - short termism mixed with entitlement.

I don’t want Smith here long term, why does that make me entitled? I like my team winning, I enjoy whenever we do well and during at sixth within east reach if the tip with a couple of good results is great, but it’s the opposite of entitlement to see success happening and not be happy with how it’s being achieved, I can’t accept success at the expense of supporter engagement because supporters ARE the club. Dismissing a view of many as entitled is just flippant. We can disagree sure, but it doesn’t mean I’m wrong 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SwearyCanary said:

No, he played football with a strike and identity which once his personnel were in we could see more and more clearly. I went knowing I’d be watching football being played and he got us clicking far more swiftly than Smith. He also had additional qualities that made his earlier tenure a more positive experience. The difference is that he had a plan and the fans invested in it and he took us in that journey because we felt it had something. Smith hasn’t engaged many, except you. Do you enjoy watching the 4-3-3 this season? 

Wow, no hindsight/cherry picking here, is there.  We had a year of people ‘bored’ with Farke’s tactics taking us nowhere, and calling for him to be binned. Then at the start of the following season because we didn’t start well.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Wow, no hindsight/cherry picking here, is there.  We had a year of people ‘bored’ with Farke’s tactics taking us nowhere, and calling for him to be binned. Then at the start of the following season because we didn’t start well.

You find one single quote from me that suggests I’m one of those people and I’ll retract my statement. I’m cherry picking nothing. No progress under Smith. 

Smith out out out out out 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

I don’t want Smith here long term, why does that make me entitled? I like my team winning, I enjoy whenever we do well and during at sixth within east reach if the tip with a couple of good results is great, but it’s the opposite of entitlement to see success happening and not be happy with how it’s being achieved, I can’t accept success at the expense of supporter engagement because supporters ARE the club. Dismissing a view of many as entitled is just flippant. We can disagree sure, but it doesn’t mean I’m wrong 

But it is fundamentally unreasonable. I agree with Branston that this season is being undermined by some fans determined to be toxic, but the fact is that Farke was given oodles of time to get everything to good liking within what we could afford and he developed something outstanding for the championship and dismal for the Premier League.

If we are to become a proper premier League team then we have to say to hell with prettiness, focus on promotion and then focus on survival by hook or by crook.

Nobody who hates Smith wants to know about stats or the nine-game unbeaten run, but the stats are good and we're in contention. Not simply getting behind him is perverse.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

You find one single quote from me that suggests I’m one of those people and I’ll retract my statement. I’m cherry picking nothing. No progress under Smith. 

Smith out out out out out 

I don’t even think you were posting here at the time?!  My point remains the same: people whinged about Farke’s boring tactics and wanted him gone. That is indesputable.

Edit: this isn’t really getting us anywhere - of course people have different opinions, I’m pointing out that there’s an alternative that many can’t/are unwilling to see.  If Smith left tomorrow it’d be one of those things - I’d think it was probably too soon but I’d shrug and get on with life and hope the new guy gets a fair crack of the whip.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

Just now, littleyellowbirdie said:

But it is fundamentally unreasonable. I agree with Branston that this season is being undermined by some fans determined to be toxic, but the fact is that Farke was given oodles of time to get everything to good liking within what we could afford and he developed something outstanding for the championship and dismal for the Premier League.

If we are to become a proper premier League team then we have to say to hell with prettiness, focus on promotion and then focus on survival by hook or by crook.

Nobody who hates Smith wants to know about stats or the nine-game unbeaten run, but the stats are good and we're in contention. Not simply getting behind him is simply perverse.

Check my history. I like stats, I am not being toxic and I get behind my team. I’m allowed to be critical and I have every right to want Smith out. It doesn’t make me perverse as I still want to win and succeed as a club. I don’t believe Smith is the man to get us that level of success and his 9 game unbeaten run of poor performances and wins is now a 3 game run of poor performances and losses. The common denominator is poor performances from a squad someone else gets more from in my view. 

You keep on criticising and name calling anyone with a different view though, you seem to be incapable of much civility in differences of opinion. 

Smith out

OTBC

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Check my history. I like stats, I am not being toxic and I get behind my team. I’m allowed to be critical and I have every right to want Smith out. It doesn’t make me perverse as I still want to win and succeed as a club. I don’t believe Smith is the man to get us that level of success and his 9 game unbeaten run of poor performances and wins is now a 3 game run of poor performances and losses. The common denominator is poor performances from a squad someone else gets more from in my view. 

You keep on criticising and name calling anyone with a different view though, you seem to be incapable of much civility in differences of opinion. 

Smith out

OTBC

I just don't have much patience with irrationality. You make a good fist of dressing it up as reasonable, but the exceptionalism regarding Farke smacks of rose-tinted lenses and the impatience with Smith over performances looks irrational when put aside the indulgence of Farke's early efforts.

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I don’t even think you were posting here at the time.  My point remains the same: people whinged about Farke’s boring tactics and wanted him gone. That is indesputable.

It’s indisputable that every manager there’s ever been has had critics and supporters. Why on earth is that suddenly unacceptable now? There are several occasions where clubs make an early decision which greatly benefits them and their prospects. Gunn and Lambert anyone? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

It’s indisputable that every manager there’s ever been has had critics and supporters. Why on earth is that suddenly unacceptable now? There are several occasions where clubs make an early decision which greatly benefits them and their prospects. Gunn and Lambert anyone? 

Gunn was an outright catastrophe. Our last three losses in the championship after an excellent run and still in reach of the top of the table hardly compare to a 7-0 collapse in League one.

I just don't have much patience with irrationality. You make a good fist of dressing it up as reasonable, but the exceptionalism regarding Farke smacks of rose-tinted lenses and the impatience with Smith over performances looks irrational when out aside the indulgence of Farke's early efforts.

Another poorly veiled insult mixed with a good dose of patronising side sauce. I disagree with you. That’s ok. I don’t need your approval and I don’t have much patience for condescension so I’m going to sign off here with a final big fat juicy SMITH OUT and bid you a good evening. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Another poorly veiled insult mixed with a good dose of patronising side sauce. I disagree with you. That’s ok. I don’t need your approval and I don’t have much patience for condescension so I’m going to sign off here with a final big fat juicy SMITH OUT and bid you a good evening. 

Yeah you keep repeating that, in spite of all the perfectly reasonable arguments that he should be allowed to get on with it without people trying to build a toxic vendetta to the detriment of the club. I don't understand where people get off on these destructive campaigns when they claim to care about the club. 

Managerial change as a magic bullet is rubbish.

4 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Gunn was an outright catastrophe. Our last three losses in the championship after an excellent run and still in reach of the top of the table hardly compare to a 7-0 collapse in League one.

I’m sure Chelsea fans agree with you after they sacked Lampard after a few games in the epl and with the same squad stopped conceding goals and won the Champions League

Let’s see what the rest of the season brings, I honestly hope it’s promotion, because our pool for attracting managers to replace Smithy increases when we are in a better league 😂

Just now, SwearyCanary said:

I’m sure Chelsea fans agree with you after they sacked Lampard after a few games in the epl and with the same squad stopped conceding goals and won the Champions League

Let’s see what the rest of the season brings, I honestly hope it’s promotion, because our pool for attracting managers to replace Smithy increases when we are in a better league 😂

Is that the Lampard who everyone was getting excited about coming to Norwich instead of Smith?

Yeah you keep repeating that, in spite of all the perfectly reasonable arguments that he should be allowed to get on with it without people trying to build a toxic vendetta to the detriment of the club. I don't understand where people get off on these destructive campaigns when they claim to care about the club. 

Managerial change as a magic bullet is rubbish.

Almost as bad as the toxic vendetta you have with anyone who doesn’t agree with you. My opinion is that it is better for the club to get rid of him, managerial  change works often and historically has proven to be the case. Just as other managerial changes haven’t, like when we changed Farke for Smith for example. Farke to go was the right call, Smith in was the wrong one. 
if you think my opinion in any way makes me a destructive campaign against the good of the club you’re actually insane. They care as much about my view as they do about yours. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Is that the Lampard who everyone was getting excited about coming to Norwich instead of Smith?

‘Everyone’ - not me. Again please look at my previous posts to prove me wrong. I’ll wait