Sign in to follow this  
Grumpy

Patrick Roberts

Having watched him play in the first game of the playoffs I could see in his general play why he never made an impact when he was at Norwich.He contributed very little and his lack of defensive quality was sadly lacking.

Fast forward to the second game and I have to say he had a half decent game.I still think his defensive qualities are very poor but his work with the ball was pretty good.Then he turns up in the box to get the winner and becomes a Sunderland hero.

Funny old game

Our team, even with low confidence and an injury crisis would get 100+ points in L1 without even sweating, you can't draw any conclusions about players retaliative to us in that league. It was a stupid signing just like signing wingers this year was stupid, if you're going to play Pukki upfront you sign players who like to play through balls, who have the strength to shield the ball and hold opposition players off and a turn of pace to beat a man and slide a ball in behind to Pukki. We never needed slight, lightweight, chalk on their boots wingers like Roberts, I really struggle to understand what Webber is thinking at times. 

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I really struggle to understand what Webber is thinking at times. 

Look in the mirror, put your thumbs up, smile, and say "I'm great!".

That's what Webber is thinking most times.  He just doesn't need a mirror.

2 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Our team, even with low confidence and an injury crisis would get 100+ points in L1 without even sweating, you can't draw any conclusions about players retaliative to us in that league. It was a stupid signing just like signing wingers this year was stupid, if you're going to play Pukki upfront you sign players who like to play through balls, who have the strength to shield the ball and hold opposition players off and a turn of pace to beat a man and slide a ball in behind to Pukki. We never needed slight, lightweight, chalk on their boots wingers like Roberts, I really struggle to understand what Webber is thinking at times. 

When we play The Mackems with Pritchard and Roberts desperate to impress and the team managed by the underrated AN, I sincerely hope such bravado doesn't come back to bite you. Roberts was outstanding in the first leg. OK so it's League One but next season we and The Mackems (if they get past Wycombe) will be very much level pegging. Roberts and Jack Clarke have pace and flair on the ball that has pretty much vanished from our term.

1 minute ago, yellowrider120 said:

When we play The Mackems with Pritchard and Roberts desperate to impress and the team managed by the underrated AN, I sincerely hope such bravado doesn't come back to bite you. Roberts was outstanding in the first leg. OK so it's League One but next season we and The Mackems (if they get past Wycombe) will be very much level pegging. Roberts and Jack Clarke have pace and flair on the ball that has pretty much vanished from our term.

Games in that league are played at less than half the pace they're played at in the PL and most defenders are shockingly poor footballers. The gap between the Championship and L1 has also grown significantly in the last 10 years or so. I went to Ipswich v Coventry a couple of years ago in the away end because my mate is a Cov fan, it was a supposed near top of the table clash and both teams were appalling, almost unbelievably bad. Coventry then came up and barely survived being relegated from the Championship which is light years behind the PL in terms of pace, physicality and quality. 

Sunderland might beat us next year if they're on form and we fail to turn up, it happens. But over the course of a season this side that has been so utterly humiliated at this level would easily run away with L1 without breaking a sweat, Pukki, Rashica and Sargent would get 50 goals between them at a minimum, Krul would stop most shots and Hanley and Gibson would be too strong and quick of thought for any L1 attackers. Our midfield would be nothing special because I believe it's average Championship standard right now, but our attack and defence would be too much for teams at that level to deal with. 

Feel like Roberts had potential once upon a time but as his time with us showed if the rumours are true he was very stuck up his **** and believed in his own hype due to his coming from Man City, so now here he is years later and he's hardly getting a look in at a leauge one club says all you need to know

I thought the best 2 players on the pitch were Bannan of Sheffield Wednesday and Clarke of Sunderland. I looked up Clarke and he's on loan there from Spurs. He's a good championship player at the least. 

14 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Feel like Roberts had potential once upon a time but as his time with us showed if the rumours are true he was very stuck up his **** and believed in his own hype due to his coming from Man City, so now here he is years later and he's hardly getting a look in at a leauge one club says all you need to know

Er - first team regular since joining towards end January and has 16 appearances.