Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Newcastle fans yesterday

4 minutes ago, KernowCanary said:

I remember that one against Barca. 3-2 it was I think, back when Newcastle were like one of those teams neutrals wanted to see do well.

It was. Unreal game with Asprilla (the city's maverick striker and major cocaine importer ALLEGEDLY) and Jon Dahl Tomasson vs Rivaldo, Figo, etc 

In terms of favourite games, it's right up there alongside smashing Man Utd about, Shearer's 15 minute hattirck against Leicester to win 4-3 and humiliating Shef Wed 8-0 at Sir Bob's first home game in charge.

Think people wanted us to do well then because we'd come from almost being relegated to the third division, to playing in the Champions League in just a few years. Make no mistake, had we become successful, people would soon have hated us regardless of the football we played. People hate us now because of who owns us and because we've suddenly become ridiculously wealthy.

21 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Dunno what's worse. The fat mess waving money around, or the Norwich fan thinking everyone from the northeast is on benefits.

The fat mess.

Have you ever been North of Kings Lynn ?? Its a waste ground of poverty and ruin. 

8 minutes ago, The Fish said:

People hate us now because of who owns us and because we've suddenly become ridiculously wealthy.

Nope your hated because for seasons you have been  like a turd that just wouldnt drop. Its only disgusting that you became ridiculously wealthy from blood money when you should have finally fallen down low enough to join Sunderland.
Hope selling your souls was worth it. 

9 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

The fat mess.

Have you ever been North of Kings Lynn ?? Its a waste ground of poverty and ruin. 

:classic_laugh: I have been to Norwich though and... blimey it's not all sunlit uplands now is it? 

Just now, The Fish said:

:classic_laugh: I have been to Norwich though and... blimey it's not all sunlit uplands now is it? 

Its paradise, a fine city.

8 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Nope your hated because for seasons you have been  like a turd that just wouldnt drop. Its only disgusting that you became ridiculously wealthy from blood money when you should have finally fallen down low enough to join Sunderland.
Hope selling your souls was worth it. 

I think this is some misdirected anger Nexus_Canary. 

We've been relegated a couple of times, had a lovely old time in the Championship and came back up. 

28 minutes ago, The Fish said:

It was. Unreal game with Asprilla (the city's maverick striker and major cocaine importer ALLEGEDLY) and Jon Dahl Tomasson vs Rivaldo, Figo, etc 

In terms of favourite games, it's right up there alongside smashing Man Utd about, Shearer's 15 minute hattirck against Leicester to win 4-3 and humiliating Shef Wed 8-0 at Sir Bob's first home game in charge.

Think people wanted us to do well then because we'd come from almost being relegated to the third division, to playing in the Champions League in just a few years. Make no mistake, had we become successful, people would soon have hated us regardless of the football we played. People hate us now because of who owns us and because we've suddenly become ridiculously wealthy.

Nailed on. You're right. Many people (myself included) have felt sympany and felt sorry for you/Newcastle due to your clubs size and loyal fanbase seemingly meaning nothing to your past owners and all the **** you went through.

Nowadays however sadly you're all too happy to sell your soul to one of the worst regimes on Earth and thus are pulling a Man City/Chelsea etc to 'cheat' your way to success. of course jeaously is also a part of why we all feel this way no doubt, but at the same time your cubs new takeover is a depressing and very sad reminder that money is all that counts in modern football and that the 'working class game' is dead and has been for a long time, even more so given your club has a well know ' identity' of being somewhat of a tougher, working class community club for the everyday working class man to support.. And now that's all gone down the drain and all for blood money.. And the way lots of your fans have acted about it (parties, mass celebrations wearing Saudi clothes and costumes and flaunting wads of cash during matches)  has not helped.

Still, rather amusing how you have gone from being a club that most people feel sorry for and have a soft spot for to being a club that's universally loathed and hated by most.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I think this is some misdirected anger Nexus_Canary. 

We've been relegated a couple of times, had a lovely old time in the Championship and came back up. 

Too be fair, I have always disliked Alan Shearer so by proxy dislike Newcastle so this has nothing to do with the money. Although it was disappointing to see such a trash bag of a club saved when bigger clubs like Everton could have been invested in.
One of my fav moments was being at Wembley to watch Arsenal put 2 past them in 1998. Chants of "Shearer whats the score" as he tea potted about. Final whistle lots of crying Geordies moping about.

Newcastle as a city was nice to be fair, had a lovely night out there and the Geordies (probably Sunderland fans) were really friendly.
Still wouldn't want to live there.

14 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Nailed on. You're right. Many people (myself included) have felt sympany and felt sorry for you/Newcastle due to your clubs size and loyal fanbase seemingly meaning nothing to your past owners and all the **** you went through.

Nowadays however sadly you're all too happy to sell your soul to one of the worst regimes on Earth and thus are pulling a Man City/Chelsea etc to 'cheat' your way to success. of course jeaously is also a part of why we all feel this way no doubt, but at the same time your cubs new takeover is a depressing and very sad reminder that money is all that counts in modern football and that the 'working class game' is dead and has been for a long time, even more so given your club has a well know ' identity' of being somewhat of a tougher, working class community club for the everyday working class man to support.. And now that's all gone down the drain and all for blood money.. And the way lots of your fans have acted about it (parties, mass celebrations wearing Saudi clothes and costumes and flaunting wads of cash during matches)  has not helped.

Still, rather amusing how you have gone from being a club that most people feel sorry for and have a soft spot for to being a club that's universally loathed and hated by most.

I think a lot of the reaction has been because of the optics. Back pages covered with photos of Newcastle fans in headdresses and waving Saudi flags. But, as is so often the case, the reality is quite different. The party when it was announced that Ashley was gone was just that, a celebration that 14yrs of life being sucked out of the club was over. Hundreds of pissed up Geordies singing and dancing and celebrating, like we'd won a cup! There were a handful of young and/or stupid in headscarves gurning for the cameras and they're the ones that got splashed everywhere. They were there, but they were a tiny, tiny minority

I've seen the same photograph of 1 individual acting like a **** by waving cash about, but that one bloke is morphing into 'fans of Newcastle were seen...'. Not long until it's "the away end was filled with Geordies waving Saudi banknotes!"

The idea that Newcastle fans have a say in who owns their club is laughable given we've been trying and failing to get shot of the previous owner for about 13 of his 14 years in charge. Boycotts, protests, walk outs, media campaigns, pressurising government officials, or the FA. Nothing worked. But Saudis sort their piracy issue out and everyone with any actual power to prevent it, looks the other way while counting the blood soaked bills. Yet it's the fans who're getting the ****.

To be honest, if the fans of other clubs were truly outraged by this takeover, they'd take it out on the Premier League, the FA and the current British government. But they'll not because they don't care enough to inconvenience themselves. Which is fine, same is true for using Amazon, or whatever. We know the compromises we all make. But let not claim the moral high ground.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Too be fair, I have always disliked Alan Shearer so by proxy dislike Newcastle so this has nothing to do with the money. Although it was disappointing to see such a trash bag of a club saved when bigger clubs like Everton could have been invested in.
One of my fav moments was being at Wembley to watch Arsenal put 2 past them in 1998. Chants of "Shearer whats the score" as he tea potted about. Final whistle lots of crying Geordies moping about.

Newcastle as a city was nice to be fair, had a lovely night out there and the Geordies (probably Sunderland fans) were really friendly.
Still wouldn't want to live there.

Everton have spent £561m since Moshiri ( a billionaire with blood on his hands (allegedly)) invested in 2016, plus Usmanov lets not forget. 

I wouldn't be surprised if you chatted to Sunderland fans in Newcastle about us. A) it's their favourite topic of conversation, b) don't you two have a Best Friends Cup, or something, c) it's not like they'd have a night out in Sunderland now, is it?

It seems Newcastle United wind you up way more than they should. On the bright side for you, you won't have to worry about us for a season.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, The Fish said:

It seems Newcastle United wind you up way more than they should. On the bright side for you, you won't have to worry about us for a season.

Just having a pop / wind up to be fair and your not biting.  🙂

Frankly cant wait to be in the Championship hate the Prem its been nothing but a media mud sling and sh*t show for both our last two visits. Think its a case of we dont like the Prem and the Prem doesnt like us!

Also in reality, Eddie Howe is a fine manager and has you really well organised. Saint-Maximin is a player you can frankly drool over, total class and its good to see the price tag paying off. Shame about Trips getting injured, again highly rate him.
After what I saw on Saturday i reckon you could easily push for top half without further investment, but again investment is coming. I never saw Josh Murphy looking so good as well, i thought he would look out of place but he was stunning.
Shame Jamal got cut from your squad, hes a talent and I think hes been done wrong but in Eddie we / you trust right?
And again, night i spent in Newcastle was fantastic, Geordies really accommodating even had a bloke in a Newcastle shirt approach and say "sorry couldn't help hearing you looking for the Wagamama's its just round the corner" hero.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yes but.............they have an English Head Coach 🥳

Always enjoyed my trips to the North East - Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, and Hartlepool.  Nice people, and a beautiful part of the country.

Good luck to Newcastle, I hope they hoover up trophies and annoy the previously super rich.  It does mean some of the previous big clubs will six struggle for Champions League success - let’s see how the loyal overseas support holds up after a few seasons with no trophies.

Had a Newcastle fan sat behind me the entire game.... singing along with the away end, jumped up and screamed when they scored. I was split between rage at how we were performing and  controlling myself from standing up and telling him to f off whilst he would continuously talk about Newcastle the entire 90 minutes.

Still considering emailing the club to say the person who usually sits there gave his ticket to an away fan. Thoughts on this?

19 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Just having a pop / wind up to be fair and your not biting.  🙂

Frankly cant wait to be in the Championship hate the Prem its been nothing but a media mud sling and sh*t show for both our last two visits. Think its a case of we dont like the Prem and the Prem doesnt like us!

Also in reality, Eddie Howe is a fine manager and has you really well organised. Saint-Maximin is a player you can frankly drool over, total class and its good to see the price tag paying off. Shame about Trips getting injured, again highly rate him.
After what I saw on Saturday i reckon you could easily push for top half without further investment, but again investment is coming. I never saw Josh Murphy looking so good as well, i thought he would look out of place but he was stunning.
Shame Jamal got cut from your squad, hes a talent and I think hes been done wrong but in Eddie we / you trust right?
And again, night i spent in Newcastle was fantastic, Geordies really accommodating even had a bloke in a Newcastle shirt approach and say "sorry couldn't help hearing you looking for the Wagamama's its just round the corner" hero.

It's always weird when Norwich come up to the Premier League. You try and play some nice stuff, field some exciting youngsters, have one or two surprising results, then get relegated. Then, next season in the Championship you're always a safe bet for promotion.

It's like the Premier League is a bit of an Italian holiday. Come up, have a look around, visit some sites, eat some food, take some photos, get back on the plane home. Lovely old job, fancy doing it all again next year? 

Howe has done really well. Since he joined he's got enough points per game which if replicated over a season would return c64pts. Since the window closed he's got enough for 82pts over a season. It's remarkable for a team who went 14 games without a win and who, in December, were rock bottom. Plus he's been humble, measured and has a bit of (boring) class about him.

Results aside, the transformation from Bruceball to Howeball is unreal. We're still fairly pragmatic on the whole, but we don't look like conceding whenever we're attacked. We look like we have some kind of plan. Credit to Howe.

The improvement in players is outstanding. Loads have improved, none have regressed. At worst ASM has plateaued a bit, but he's still such an exciting player to watch, just needs to work on his end product. King of the renaissance is Joelinton... he was honestly a laughing stock. How'd we spend £40m on him?! Fans were almost entirely against him, especially when his signing was one of the reasons Benitez wanted out (essentially Ashley wanted him for a while, but Benitez wanted to spend the money elsewhere, cue arguments and bye bye Benitez). Now? He is one of the in form midfielders in the league. Credit has to go to Howe, but also the man himself. Joelinton actually went through his agency to a sports consultancy firm called OutliersFC to work on his game away from the training ground during the summer. That attitude on and off the pitch has seen him go from villain to hero. Hence the banner and adulation from the fans this weekend.

I like Murphy and he might be one of those that we keep around, Lewis is really strange. His confidence was shot because Bruce is incapable of coaching and he was all too often left isolated against two attackers. You'd have thought going out on loan would be better than missing half a season, but there's talk of lingering injuries. I dunno.

Joelinton's is the greatest comeback since Lazarus!  Truly remarkable! 

It gives me hope that the solution of the CDM issue here could be solved by similar application by one of our less lauded players as I've mentioned in another thread.  Come on down Kenny, reinvent yourself as Joelinton has!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Joelinton's is the greatest comeback since Lazarus!  Truly remarkable! 

It gives me hope that the solution of the CDM issue here could be solved by similar application by one of our less lauded players as I've mentioned in another thread.  Come on down Kenny, reinvent yourself as Joelinton has!

He's been on quite the journey.

Joelinton - Newcastle Forum - Toontastic

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Fish said:

He's been on quite the journey.

Joelinton - Newcastle Forum - Toontastic

I am quite an insular fan in that I dont give a sh*t about the Prem / other teams. I can name every player in the Norwich set up but outside of that nothing. 
Anyway, didnt realise he was Brazilian until post game, figured he was just some lad from Hackney called Joe Linton 🤣😂
True story.

On 25/04/2022 at 11:29, king canary said:

There is certainly an irony that actually Mike Ashley and our owners actually run their clubs in a very similar way- Newcastle pre Saudi Investment are certainly an example of a self funding club, turning a profit most years when covid wasn't an issue. 

Yeah although I'm sure I read they had a net transfer spend of 270m from 2017 to now. So whilst I'd agree that Ashley ran the club relatively cautiously they were still on a different level to us.

On 27/04/2022 at 00:29, hogesar said:

Yeah although I'm sure I read they had a net transfer spend of 270m from 2017 to now. So whilst I'd agree that Ashley ran the club relatively cautiously they were still on a different level to us.

Dunno where you saw that, but it's way, way off. About £370m gross spend, £190 gross recouped. Over 12 windows that works out to £15m net spend a window. Not exactly largesse.