Sign in to follow this  
lucky green trainers

have we missed out on bowen?

hughes signed a new contract the weekend, what about bowen?  hughes is talking of aiming for the final champions league spot this season, but uefa looks more likely. make no mistake, bowen is the brains that''s got blackburn passing the ball around this term. i contend a club with ambition will snap him up as manager, if he doesn''t resign for blackburn.

Oh no I hope not!! He would be eagar beaver to be a the helm I''m sure, come on delia lets at least hear a whisper!!!

You''ll never beat Mark Bowen, You''ll never beat Mark Bowen!!!

But anyway I think Bowen is a good coach -- but should be only under Mark Hughes sadly...

Your Lordship:  When you say that "Bowen is a coach, not a manager. Stop going on about him for gods sake" you must surely recognise that everyone has to start their managerial career somewhere (cf Worthless in Blackpool...). 

IMO, Bowen''s the man - none better.  I''d be prepared to take the risk (which I see as minimal, compared to the huge potential upside) and have him as manager as soon as the Board can get their sticky mitts on him....  [:)]  His career to date has had ''success'' written all over it.  Why should it change now?????

Great coaches don''t usually make good managers, which is why they are coaches in the first place. He''s not a novice coach, and if he was going to become a manager he would have done it by now.  It''s clear he likes being "in the background", Worthy may have his faults but he does say what he thinks and stands by it.

There''s still hope, LGT!  Hughes has agreed to have talks about his contract at the end of the season.... So, if he''s not getting involved in such things right now, nor would Bowen. The manager comes first!   [:)]

saint - yeah sorry, i meant re-sign.  hughes got a much improved deal, i don''t know the ins and outs of bowen contract, but will assume he is in line for a big rise also, given blackburn''s success this year - carling cup semi-finalists, top 6 in league.  i could be wrong, but it seems to me that blackburn has been moulded in bowens image this season, playing classy, passing football and its bringing results - wheras last year they played in hughes image, bustling physical and direct, and nearly got relegated.tellingly, paul jewell said recently that his immediate aim is to create wigan into a team in the style of bolton, man city or blackburn, while acknowledging he couldn''t compete with the likes of man.u, chelseas etc.  would jewell have said this last year?  probably not.  blackburn are starting to be admired for their play - someone said to me this morning did i see the spurs-blackburn match on tv the weekend?  he described it as a proper game of football between 2 good sides.  although losing 3-2, blackburn played well - some would say unlikely to lose.Duke, i know from previous posts you''re not keen on promoting coaches, but in my opinion bowen was a top class player, is now a top class coach and he could be a top class manager.  bowen was my fave city player at the time, because not only was he an assured player, but for me he oozed confidence and the sense he was special - call it presence, an aura, whatever, but all the best players have it, and generally they will also be natural leaders of men.  i think greeno also has this quality - he''s already happy to talk easily with the press. if any club does gamble of making bowen their manager, i doubt they will regret it, in my view its not a gamble, but a natural progression of his career and talent.  bring him on i say!