Sign in to follow this  
markdmhoward

My 6 year old son's first game tomorrow!

13 hours ago, Pockthorpe said:

Home to Swindon , April 22nd 1972 .Just hunted out the programme. A birthday present , I’d just turned 8 , with my lovely old Dad . We won 1-0 but I have absolutely no recollection of the game. I do remember crossing Carrow Bridge and hanging on to Dad’s hand as if my life depended on it , and having to wear a donkey brown jumper my Aunt Mary had knitted for my birthday. It was bloody enormous, much to the amusement of an uncle and cousins we bumped into . And getting home and hearing Dad tell Mum that I’d been a good boy and he’d start taking me to each home game the next season. Special memories. Made some more when I took my two sons to their first games when they were 7/8.

Hope you and your son have a great day Mark . 

I was in the River End for that game too Pockthorpe.

What I remember really vividly was the rendition of OTBC at the end of the game which gave me goosebumps. The song seemed to just hang in the roofs of the South Stand, Barclay and Main Stand. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Two big memories from those early days at CR is the Graham Paddon goal from outside of the area in a 5-0 win (on YouTube)...think against Blackpool and Keelan folding his arms as a striker shot from the edge of the area which somehow hit the post and went in. Again, cannot recall who it was against. Keelan thought it was going wide!  I loved his arrogance and confidence. We could do with some of Keelan's edginess and b*lls this afternoon for sure.

That Blackpool match is my most vivid early memory. Great weather, a buoyant crowd and an even better performance.  That goal sealed Graham Paddon as my favourite ever player; I'm a left footer too although I could never hit the ball as sweetly as him.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pockthorpe said:

Home to Swindon , April 22nd 1972 .Just hunted out the programme. A birthday present , I’d just turned 8 , with my lovely old Dad . We won 1-0 but I have absolutely no recollection of the game. I do remember crossing Carrow Bridge and hanging on to Dad’s hand as if my life depended on it , and having to wear a donkey brown jumper my Aunt Mary had knitted for my birthday. It was bloody enormous, much to the amusement of an uncle and cousins we bumped into . And getting home and hearing Dad tell Mum that I’d been a good boy and he’d start taking me to each home game the next season. Special memories. Made some more when I took my two sons to their first games when they were 7/8.

Hope you and your son have a great day Mark . 

This is beautiful. 

Also makes it clear how little of the matchgoing experience is about the game. And we need that reminder at the moment.

• Like 1

Hope you and your boy enjoyed today. At least you had a goal to celebrate together ❤