Sign in to follow this  
birchfest

The bordering on irrational Positivity thread!

Right, yesterday wasn’t pretty and I’m not going to try to spin a positive off that, I’m not even going to hide behind the gulf in money and class. We stunk the place out.

HOWEVER, come on guys this place has descended into the sort of doom and gloom you see in May, not August. I hope the squad have got a tougher mindset then some of you, because it’s like the white flag has already been raised by many. What should we do just accept our fate now, sort of screams of the small club mindset many claim to hate and exactly the way other clubs and parts of the media think we should be viewing our chances. Stuff them. 

We’ve got a great opportunity to get back to winning ways midweek and also get some of the new boys on the pitch, who knows maybe Tzolis looks the real deal and grabs a start for next Saturday. We then have a good match  and chance against Leicester, who whilst are a great side, are by no means a Man City or Liverpool. We should turn Carrow Road into a cauldron of noise and get after them from minute one. We also still have players to come in and that alone could transform us, a decent CM and we could see the puzzle pieces start to fit together.

Edited by birchfest

I admire your PMA but as others have said it’s the nature of how crap we are compared to the flickers of positivity last week against Liverpool. And time’s ticking on that DM and CB position which we’ve all known has been an issue for so long. 

I think people are just fed up and tired of being the Premier League whipping boys and in fairness I completely agree. Yo yoing is getting boring and watching our peers (Watford etc) outmuscle us is frustrating as hell. I appreciate we’ll get tonked on occasion but it is getting tiring now. We all want to see us actually compete not fly by the seat of our pants and feel ‘lucky’ just to be there no matter all the positive strides we’ve made over the past four years.

Its well and good having a cracking academy but fans don’t pay their hard earned money just to watch that incrementally pay dividends they want to see the good stuff on the pitch and yesterday was a horrid reminder of our last terrible campaign. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, If wed kept Howie.. said:

basically we are just giving the other teams a slight headstart..

Not really - you can’t realistically compare the results between a league of 20 teams when they have only played twice, you need to have played a fair mix of sides, perhaps 8-9 games before it becomes anything like meaningful.

Edited by Branston Pickle

15 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

I admire your PMA but as others have said it’s the nature of how crap we are compared to the flickers of positivity last week against Liverpool. And time’s ticking on that DM and CB position which we’ve all known has been an issue for so long. 

I think people are just fed up and tired of being the Premier League whipping boys and in fairness I completely agree. Yo yoing is getting boring and watching our peers (Watford etc) outmuscle us is frustrating as hell. I appreciate we’ll get tonked on occasion but it is getting tiring now. We all want to see us actually compete not fly by the seat of our pants and feel ‘lucky’ just to be there no matter all the positive strides we’ve made over the past four years.

Its well and good having a cracking academy but fans don’t pay their hard earned money just to watch that incrementally pay dividends they want to see the good stuff on the pitch and yesterday was a horrid reminder of our last terrible campaign. 

Whilst I agree in a way, it’s getting spanked by a Villa or Southampton that would make me feel more like this. It’s going to be revealing to see how other sides get on against Liverpool and City, they both might end up going unbeaten for the majority of this season and losing by 4/5 is a fair standard score line for everyone not in the top six. I mean look at Leeds for example, pumped 5-1 on the first day of the season and lucky to not have lost by more.

I was at a wedding all day yesterday, so I think I was insulated from most of the negativity around the game (don't get me wrong, eyewitness reports all pointed to it being a pretty shocking performance).

How people can decide we're doomed after two matches against Man City and Liverpool is beyond me, especially after missing two weeks of pre-season due to the Covid-19 outbreak. Even if we'd have lost 10-0 yesterday, we'd have got the same number of points.

Let's see what new players we can bring in, get the existing ones up to match fitness and get these next couple out the way. Our next four after that are Watford, Everton, Burnley and Brighton - let's see where we're at then.

Edited by Feedthewolf
  • Like 2

We've got two of the hardest fixtures out of the way with early doors. Yesterday was poor but even if we were really good we would have still come away from 0 points.

So in a positive sense, weve not lost anything material from that poor performance. Or perhaps put slightly better, id rather us play poor against Man City than against Brighton for example.

I think I’d also add that yesterday’s 11 and formation will likely be different by mid September with everyone fit. No reason not to expect some new/out of the starting 11 players to start to push for starts. 

In Dowel, Tzolis, Sargent, McLean and Sorrenson we have players who could come in and shine potentially. Add s Williams and any additional signings and hopefully we have enough competition for the cream to rise to the top from who we have available.

My issues is that even if Farke does start Tzolis and Idah against Bournemouth, and they play well and score goals etc, I have zero faith that he’ll then change up the team against Leicester. Something hasn’t been working in the first 11 he’s picking but he’s not been keen or quick to change things in the past. I hope he’s more flexible this season.

• Like 1