Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Happy St. George's Day!

2 hours ago, horsefly said:

The Express asked 6,170 of its readers whether they thought we should get a day off to celebrate St George's Day; 93% said yes. Perhaps they should also have asked if we should get a day off to celebrate St Andrew's Day, St Patrick's Day, and St David's Day too. Methinks they might get an even higher percentage saying yes. And why not throw in another day off for St Twa*t, the patron saint for moronic newspaper editors.

St Patrick's Day and St. Andrew's Day are holidays in their respective countries, so maybe someone else is the moron.

13 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

St Patrick's Day and St. Andrew's Day are holidays in their respective countries, so maybe someone else is the moron.

Yep! It's you who's the moron yet again. The constituency of the Express poll was its "readership" not a specific country. Further, I would have thought even the tiniest brained buffoon would realise my dig was at the stupidity of polling people to ask them if they would like another public holiday. Clearly one needs to remember that subtlety of thought is not a hallmark of someone who is a racist, misogynist, paedophile apologist. 

15 hours ago, horsefly said:

Yep! It's you who's the moron yet again. The constituency of the Express poll was its "readership" not a specific country. Further, I would have thought even the tiniest brained buffoon would realise my dig was at the stupidity of polling people to ask them if they would like another public holiday. Clearly one needs to remember that subtlety of thought is not a hallmark of someone who is a racist, misogynist, paedophile apologist. 

Seems like Bill has fully transitioned to the Horsefly character.

2 hours ago, horsefly said:

No surprise that this is the best you can come up with. I suppose when there aren't any child sex abuse victims in the news to call "well paid prostitutes", you have to vent your degenerate anger somewhere. 

Why don't you give Clucky Nora a run out. You have nothing better to do all day. 

I do think there's an amusing inconsistency that we often give it the big one for St. Patrick's Day, but making each day a bank holiday in their respective countries (St. David's Day in Wales, St. Andrew's Day in Scotland, St. George's Day in England) doesn't strike me as an unreasonable step.

Doesn't the UK only have a relatively low number of bank holidays compared to most European countries anyway? Certainly varies between German states quite widely (usually, Bavaria tends to have more as they're often staunch Catholics, so follow days like Ascension and take those off work).

5 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

I do think there's an amusing inconsistency that we often give it the big one for St. Patrick's Day, but making each day a bank holiday in their respective countries (St. David's Day in Wales, St. Andrew's Day in Scotland, St. George's Day in England) doesn't strike me as an unreasonable step.

Doesn't the UK only have a relatively low number of bank holidays compared to most European countries anyway? Certainly varies between German states quite widely (usually, Bavaria tends to have more as they're often staunch Catholics, so follow days like Ascension and take those off work).

I think you are right that England/UK  has fairly few bank holidays,  but I don't see the need for another bank holiday in April 

Have a specific English one end of June, beginning of July 

However, some countries do not have a day off in lieu if the  bank holiday is on a weekend. Christmas for me this year is finish Friday 24th at lunchtime and back to work on the 27th