Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Green Army

EMI Goal - Would it have been a penalty?

Looking closely at the highlights, it got me wondering if the ref would have blown for a foul/penalty if the shot had not gone into the net. The Bristol City defender has clearly been done by the flight of the ball and then proceeds to push EMI over with both hands.

Absolute wonderful goal.

50/50 whether it would have been given or not.  I suspect not, although from the TV angle it was a clear penalty. From behind, where the ref was, it might not have looked so bad and linesmen are generally hopeless at intervening. Great goal though.

• Like 1

I wondered that myself. It looks like the defender is purely focussed on trying to disrupt / foul EB as apposed to trying to clear the ball. 

Doubt it would have ended in a penalty though, EB had already been picked up by the ref for remonstrating against a number of decision. 

He certainly deserved that goal mind.

Do you know, I must have watched that goal 20 times now, and I’ve only just even thought to look at what the defender is doing. Emi’s skill is mesmerising.

There seems to be an unwritten rule in football that defenders can do what they want to an attacker after they've got a shot off.

Late tackle after a pass in midfield = foul and maybe a booking.

Late tackle after a shot = who cares, the player no longer had control of the ball.

It should be a foul, but it's rarely given.