Sign in to follow this  
rock bus

Do you think we will make a big signing?

41 minutes ago, 1902 said:

We have been weak defensively but I would argue not weak at centre back per se. None of the four are bad players at championship level, we just had inexperienced full backs that bombed forwards. It's literally not possible to play the football we played the season before last without conceding a lot of goals but it's also why we scored a sackful as well.

Having said that, I do think we have failed in the transfer market in one particular regard, and that's finding a Tettey upgrade. Partly this is to his credit, I think he is actually an excellent defensive midfielder, especially at this level. What we would need is a player with his skills defensively, who offers a bit more to our passing game and who is young, but those players are like gold dust and we just havent been lucky enough to find someone on the cheap. Maybe, just maybe Sorensen is that player, in which case we may have found the key, I just doubt it will be CB that will make the difference as much as a good defensive defensive midfielder.

The bit in bold nails it for me, and I would argue this is also why Placheta was signed, simply to provide an out-and-out winger option so that a full-back (if not both) can stay back, not to mention the defensive midfield signings of Sorensen and Sitti. Sorensen's probably looking the more likely right now.

Also agree with the defensive midfield in essence but would argue that instead of ball-playing ability, we lacked mobility there over the last two seasons, with the probable exception of McLean. Trybull is always a willing trier but lacks a couple of yards of pace. Leitner and Vrancic are superb passers from there but lack a fair bit of pace and/or muscle. Tettey will win you tackles all game but again, no pace.

There's always room for a destructive-minded anchor man or two who kicks/intimidates the living daylights out of opposition fancy-dans and then gives it to those who can play. Tettey's not mobile enough to be that man any more.

I’d argue keeping all of Buendia, Cantwell, Aaron’s, Lewis and Godfrey is like making 5 big name signings isn’t it?

I’d be happy to go into this season with the squad we have now then lose any of these for a so called big signing, we’ve recruited well, now to offload those not required and build for next chance in the premiership, isn’t that our model?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

The bit in bold nails it for me, and I would argue this is also why Placheta was signed, simply to provide an out-and-out winger option so that a full-back (if not both) can stay back, not to mention the defensive midfield signings of Sorensen and Sitti. Sorensen's probably looking the more likely right now.

Also agree with the defensive midfield in essence but would argue that instead of ball-playing ability, we lacked mobility there over the last two seasons, with the probable exception of McLean. Trybull is always a willing trier but lacks a couple of yards of pace. Leitner and Vrancic are superb passers from there but lack a fair bit of pace and/or muscle. Tettey will win you tackles all game but again, no pace.

There's always room for a destructive-minded anchor man or two who kicks/intimidates the living daylights out of opposition fancy-dans and then gives it to those who can play. Tettey's not mobile enough to be that man any more.

You are probably right with mobility over ball playing ability, I was just thinking of the times in the championship when Farke set up without an out and out DM (maybe my recollection is skewed though) which implied to me that he really wanted someone who could contribute to a very fluent passing game. 

I would add though that mobility in defensive midfielders can be seriously deceptive just because the key factor is always positioning. Which is exactly why Tettey is still playing for us and why I'm a little concerned that bringing in a young defensive midfielder may not pay dividends this season, we just have to hope.

Are we likely to get a 5 million+ player in? For me, yes if the Gibbson deal goes through. Burnley will want to try to get as much of that £15 million back as possible, so it could well be 7 or 8 rising to 10 if we go up. 

1 hour ago, 1902 said:

You are probably right with mobility over ball playing ability, I was just thinking of the times in the championship when Farke set up without an out and out DM (maybe my recollection is skewed though) which implied to me that he really wanted someone who could contribute to a very fluent passing game. 

I would add though that mobility in defensive midfielders can be seriously deceptive just because the key factor is always positioning. Which is exactly why Tettey is still playing for us and why I'm a little concerned that bringing in a young defensive midfielder may not pay dividends this season, we just have to hope.

Mobility and positioning are, IMO, particularly important for a defensive midfielder when you have two very attack-minded full-backs like Aarons and Lewis. The more the full-backs play like traditional full-backs, the more important positioning is. The more they attack, the more mobility is part of a good positional sense.

EDIT: That said, I play right wing-back in our vets team, but we play three at the back in a classic 3-5-2 with two wing-backs. As a rule of thumb, we tell one of our central midfielders to sit and both wing-backs are encouraged to get up and back.

Edited by TheGunnShow