Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
rock bus

Do you think we will make a big signing?

Recommended Posts

On the whole I'm quite excited about the signings we have made so far. We've looked to plug some of the gaps and address the inadequacies of last year - importantly some pace and power.  

But many of the signings are still in the category of unknown quality and potential (which pretty much sums us up as a team at the moment).

Also, as things stand, we may still have a defence that was awful last year and actually conceded lots of goals in the promotion season.

 I am conscious that Webber in his interview had made it quire clear that there was money to spend and that we would be looking to give Farke more support with proven players who have experience and we 'know' can deliver. I'm not convinced we have done that yet -arguably Hugill and Dowell to some extent.

There is also an argument that the 'big signing' could be keeping players like Buendia, Cantwell, Aarons, Godfrey - or at least some of them.

But I'd still like to see a 'statement' signing .... do any of you think we will make one (and if so who would you like to see here?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if we lost one or more of Krul, Godfrey and Buendia and possibly Aarons we would need a direct replacement of equal talent. Expectations are ramping up and we've made what seem to be good signings to strengthen the squad. 

Agree that if no-one leaves then arguably that would equate to our biggest signing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rock bus said:

But I'd still like to see a 'statement' signing .... do any of you think we will make one (and if so who would you like to see here?)

Statement signing.....hmm, like RVW was?  Like Naismith was?  I think I'd be happy with us carrying on as we have been, buying/acquiring good players or prospects for not too much money.  Anyhow, big statement signings are just as much a gamble as they always have been and along with paying big money to get them you have to pay them big money in wages too. 

If we keep Pukki, we have a strong strike force, if you include Sinani as an option up front too alongside Hugill and Idah.  Midfield is a plethora of riches, even if we sell some of them, defensively we look good if we can keep Godfrey. We've signed ten players and just need a goalkeeper cover and possibly a defender to add to the squad to make it strong as possible. 

The main issue for me now is who goes from the club and I would leave statement signings to clubs that feel they need to.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if the lack of centre back arriving is due to Norwich waiting to get a big fee for one of 'the 5'. If Ben Gibson is the primary target it would be an expensive deal.

I do think that most of the replacements are already in the building though. Certainly at the full back positions.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hugill would be our statement signing I would say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Statement signing.....hmm, like RVW was?  Like Naismith was?  I think I'd be happy with us carrying on as we have been, buying/acquiring good players or prospects for not too much money.  Anyhow, big statement signings are just as much a gamble as they always have been and along with paying big money to get them you have to pay them big money in wages too. 

If we keep Pukki, we have a strong strike force, if you include Sinani as an option up front too alongside Hugill and Idah.  Midfield is a plethora of riches, even if we sell some of them, defensively we look good if we can keep Godfrey. We've signed ten players and just need a goalkeeper cover and possibly a defender to add to the squad to make it strong as possible. 

The main issue for me now is who goes from the club and I would leave statement signings to clubs that feel they need to.

I agree with Goalkeeper backup, I dont think that needs to be expensive.  I'd like us to sign a reliably fit centre back too as the injury problems last year were a massive part of our problems.  

If we sign a backup GK and a decent starting CB with no injury history I'll be happy and I think we will be set for a really good season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm not sure we'll make many more signings. Perhaps a centre half, Ben Gibson maybe? He'd be a 'statement ' signing I guess.

I do think there's something more satisfying unearthing gems though. These players tend to show more appreciation and desire to succeed, which leads to a greater rapport with the club and fans. Much easier to adore and support than so called 'proven' players from established teams. 

I like our recruitments creative style much more than a lazy, almost compliant approach to transfers. Nakhi Wells a prime example, probably seen as a 'statement' signing - A player that's been transferred between championship clubs for combined fees over £20 million, but only scored more than 15 goals once in 7 championship seasons. Bang average.

Edited by Il Pirata
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we'replaying a waiting game to see if any of our jewels do leave, but we must sign reliable and injury free centre back. Even if Godfrey stays, we've just seen a "we'll be fine with the defenders we have" tossed out of the window and create nightmare seasons for centre backs.

Klose, Hanley & even Zimm have been hit and miss with injuries, and with so many goals conceded over last two seasons we need to freshen up in that dept. Remember we've still got the same back 4 that conceded a record number of goals for any team ending up as champions!

I like the idea of the wingers as that might mean we can be more defense minded with our wing backs     

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ekoku: The Ambassador Of The People said:

I think we’ve made better quality of signings this season than we did last season

I agree. Makes me frustrated just thinking about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From reading what Farke says that's pretty much it for transfers. Unless we lose one of the younger players.

Only 2 we probably wouldn't replace is Lewis & Cantwell as we already have the players to replace those.

If Godfrey goes we will need another CB,

Aarons would have to be replaced due to Byrams injury record and Mumbas' lack of game time especially in that position.

Buendia would have to replaced as apart from Josh Martin we dont really have any others who play in that right side position.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would consider keeping any of the following players more important than a 'big' signing.

Godrey, Lewis, Aarons, Buendia, Cantwell

We've already made 10 signings without losing any of these key players as yet, you spoilt kid at Christmas!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

' Norwich City ' and ' statement signing ' don't usually appear on the same page especially after getting our fingers burnt a few times in recent years.

I think we've made some good signings so far and if we're willing to push the boat out a bit to get a quality defender in theory we'll be set fair for a decent season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

I want Angus Gunn as our big signing

To replace current player of the season Tim Krul?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think in some ways Webber is in a bit of difficult situation going forward.

Until he knows whether Godfrey/Aarons/Cantwell/Buendia are here next season he can't go and make a 'big' signing, not because of financials but just because there isn't really the room for someone. it is a slow moving market right now and there would be no point splashing large sums on a central defender for instance if it would leave us hugely overstocked in that position. 

The only way I can see us making a splash is if we unexpectedly lose Pukki and need to spend on a striker. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think in some ways Webber is in a bit of difficult situation going forward.

Until he knows whether Godfrey/Aarons/Cantwell/Buendia are here next season he can't go and make a 'big' signing, not because of financials but just because there isn't really the room for someone. it is a slow moving market right now and there would be no point splashing large sums on a central defender for instance if it would leave us hugely overstocked in that position. 

The only way I can see us making a splash is if we unexpectedly lose Pukki and need to spend on a striker. 

Lakeys playing Pukki in midfield this year so maybe not such a miss lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with other posters i think in the main we have probably made our signings now with the possible exception of a top drawer CB, but not if we keep our current establishment.  If before the transfer deadline we lose say 3 of our outstanding younger players and we had the best part of £50m coming in then we may see some more higher profile movement in . The squad looks good and in depth at the moment though and many reasons to be optimistic.I would be very surprised though if we do not see a couple of high profile departures anyone's guess who and for how much but it would be a lot of money by our standards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Lakeys playing Pukki in midfield this year so maybe not such a miss lol

It is one of his less outlandish suggestions when it comes to player positions to be fair. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We definitely need to bring in another option at CB. Even if you take the view that last season was a desperately unlucky one with all three of our main CBs suffering overlapping injuries virtually throughout the season, Looking to the promotion season that was our weakness too - as someone already mentioned, we won the title despite being quite poor at the back and conceding a record number of goals. Defence has been a weakness for a long time, one area the current regime haven't got to grips with as yet.

Clearly Zimmermann and Godfrey are talented, Klose unfortunately didn't look like he still has what it takes after the last injury but certainly has value as a backup option, and Hanley is probably our best defender when the stars align but seems to be a bit hit and miss sometimes. Out of those, only Godfrey is a young, long term prospect as well. If we go into a second straight season without improving the CB position despite it being glaringly obvious this year, as it was 14 months ago, that we need reinforcements there, I think serious questions have to be asked of Webber. 

Saying that, overspending on a 'statement' signing is not the way to go - We've recruited well this season I think; no need to spoil everything by wasting money on a player on 'name' basis alone. I like Gibson and would be happy to see him join but hopefully they've got their eye on a younger talent none of us are expecting to see come in.

Edited by andyc24_uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Samwam27 said:

I think we'replaying a waiting game to see if any of our jewels do leave, but we must sign reliable and injury free centre back. Even if Godfrey stays, we've just seen a "we'll be fine with the defenders we have" tossed out of the window and create nightmare seasons for centre backs.

Klose, Hanley & even Zimm have been hit and miss with injuries, and with so many goals conceded over last two seasons we need to freshen up in that dept. Remember we've still got the same back 4 that conceded a record number of goals for any team ending up as champions!

I like the idea of the wingers as that might mean we can be more defense minded with our wing backs     

I agree in principle. It would be good to get one more centre back in but curious as to where we see Famewo fits in after half a season in SPL . He did make the bench last prem game and good to see Rocky make Belgium u21 side too .  So maybe get  a centre back on a season long loan with option to buy 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if we don't lose anymore players we need another CB, Klose will be injured for a period this season so if at the same time another gets injured we're back down to two again putting us in a very perilous position. We have a two good all rounders in Zimmermann and Hanley, a quick ball playing CB who's great at last ditch defending in Godfrey but we're missing a tall commanding CB who's great in the air. I'm ignoring Klose because I just don't trust him to stay fit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Making a big signing invariably means  a higher wage and a long contracts. So, no. Happy with the players we have. A return to form of Pukki is all I ask for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you think we will make a big signing...as Lakey referred to, does this mean in terms of money or actual performance. I am being positive, in the belief that we have made 10 big signings already. Every guy that Webber brings to  our club carries the hope that they, individually, can be a big signing for us, by their performances out there on the pitch. I have zero knowledge of their transfer fees, wages etc, and im not interested in that side anyway.

As for the CB question...i think most other Championship clubs look at the quartet of Zimbo, Hanley, Godfrey and Klose with absolute envy. Its not just a question of how good or bad these guys are of course, there are other equations such as  team formation,  whats in front of them...im not to concerned if we dont get another CB in...Famewo seems to be knocking on the first team squad door to. Last year was utterly bizarre in how often we had two or more injured CB's..i have to have faith in that it wont happen for a 2nd season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Il Pirata said:

I'm not sure we'll make many more signings. Perhaps a centre half, Ben Gibson maybe? He'd be a 'statement ' signing I guess.

I do think there's something more satisfying unearthing gems though. These players tend to show more appreciation and desire to succeed, which leads to a greater rapport with the club and fans. Much easier to adore and support than so called 'proven' players from established teams. 

I like our recruitments creative style much more than a lazy, almost compliant approach to transfers. Nakhi Wells a prime example, probably seen as a 'statement' signing - A player that's been transferred between championship clubs for combined fees over £20 million, but only scored more than 15 goals once in 7 championship seasons. Bang average.

Wiki has him down as a Norwich player, announcement today? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, andyc24_uk said:

We definitely need to bring in another option at CB. Even if you take the view that last season was a desperately unlucky one with all three of our main CBs suffering overlapping injuries virtually throughout the season, Looking to the promotion season that was our weakness too - as someone already mentioned, we won the title despite being quite poor at the back and conceding a record number of goals. Defence has been a weakness for a long time, one area the current regime haven't got to grips with as yet.

Clearly Zimmermann and Godfrey are talented, Klose unfortunately didn't look like he still has what it takes after the last injury but certainly has value as a backup option, and Hanley is probably our best defender when the stars align but seems to be a bit hit and miss sometimes. Out of those, only Godfrey is a young, long term prospect as well. If we go into a second straight season without improving the CB position despite it being glaringly obvious this year, as it was 14 months ago, that we need reinforcements there, I think serious questions have to be asked of Webber. 

Saying that, overspending on a 'statement' signing is not the way to go - We've recruited well this season I think; no need to spoil everything by wasting money on a player on 'name' basis alone. I like Gibson and would be happy to see him join but hopefully they've got their eye on a younger talent none of us are expecting to see come in.

We have been weak defensively but I would argue not weak at centre back per se. None of the four are bad players at championship level, we just had inexperienced full backs that bombed forwards. It's literally not possible to play the football we played the season before last without conceding a lot of goals but it's also why we scored a sackful as well.

Having said that, I do think we have failed in the transfer market in one particular regard, and that's finding a Tettey upgrade. Partly this is to his credit, I think he is actually an excellent defensive midfielder, especially at this level. What we would need is a player with his skills defensively, who offers a bit more to our passing game and who is young, but those players are like gold dust and we just havent been lucky enough to find someone on the cheap. Maybe, just maybe Sorensen is that player, in which case we may have found the key, I just doubt it will be CB that will make the difference as much as a good defensive defensive midfielder.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Wiki has him down as a Norwich player, announcement today? 

I am sure we will sign an experienced CB and would guess that the Gibson link might be a serious one (even though we shouldn't trust what is put in Wiki)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...