Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

Team formation

Whilst Leitner is out, I'd really like quite to see Mclean or replace Vrancic, to give us a bit more bite in midfield, and Rhodes replace Cantwell, with Buendia & Hernandez either side behind Pukki. I'd like to see how Rhodes and Pukki get on together.

Alternatively, leave Vrancic, and perhaps put Mclean in that No. 10 position instead of Cantwell. Think Mclean could be quite menacing further up field in that position.

Agree, would be nice if DF plays McLean this coming Friday. Do you think Srbeny could play at number 10 ?

I’d like to see McLean instead of Cantwell, playing in the Stiepermann role. Without Leitner (who we are really really really missing), we need Vrancics vision and creativity

Vrancic is actually pretty good at the defensive stuff. I think Norwich lose an element of control without Leitner in the team as he moves the ball so quickly and accurately. 

Vrancic creates a hell of a lot going forward (.8 goals per 90 he plays). That is not something that Leitner can do. 

• Like 1

Having just watched the highlights on Quest I got the distinct feeling we were veeery slooow in that first half. Vrancic walking about when we were pinned back & Godfrey not anticipating Gayle's goal at all. 

A combination of tiredness & the returning players' touch not being quite right I suspect. Well I hope that's all it is anyway.

3 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Having just watched the highlights on Quest I got the distinct feeling we were veeery slooow in that first half. Vrancic walking about when we were pinned back & Godfrey not anticipating Gayle's goal at all. 

A combination of tiredness & the returning players' touch not being quite right I suspect. Well I hope that's all it is anyway.

Gayle has scored 13 goals in 20 Championship appearances this season. Seems that rather a lot of defenders "fail to anticipate" his goals! Just as Hegazi "failed to anticipate" Rhodes's goal yesterday too? Sometimes I think you just have to accept that goals are not always the result of defensive mistakes but simply excellent attacking play by astute strikers and those who assist them.

If I was dropping anyone in that midfield it would be Cantwell. McLean could add an element of forward thinking and a willingness to carry the ball 20 yards up field- something we miss without Steiperman, who we've missed far more than I expected.

42 minutes ago, king canary said:

If I was dropping anyone in that midfield it would be Cantwell. McLean could add an element of forward thinking and a willingness to carry the ball 20 yards up field- something we miss without Steiperman, who we've missed far more than I expected.

Yeah, agree with this. 

Cantwell struggled when move centrally as apart from the wing where he has a little more time on ball and away from central defenders kicking him. Norwich really struggled to get anything going centrally against WBA - Stipermann through his physicality can hold up the ball and bring others in.

Until everyone is fit I’d have Vrancic in central alongside Tettey and McLean in the ‘10’ role. 

There's a lot to admire about Cantwell. For a young, highly inexperienced player, he's done a great job over an extended period given our injury worries, and I have no doubt he will go on to be a good all-action midfielder. But for me, at this moment in time I don't feel he brings enough in terms of goal threat or physical presence to warrant being in the starting 11, given we now have other players fit. I expect McLean to come in for him on Friday. 

With regards to Vrancic, the stats show people see what they want to see regarding him. He's demonstrably making a good defensive contribution, and producing key passes and goalscoring opportunities. Certainly I think he should be starting, at the very least until Leitner returns.

1 minute ago, Ian said:

With regards to Vrancic, the stats show people see what they want to see regarding him. He's demonstrably making a good defensive contribution, and producing key passes and goalscoring opportunities. Certainly I think he should be starting, at the very least until Leitner returns.

I'd agree with this- actually said to my brother at the game how much he seemed to be involved in winning the ball back.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'd agree with this- actually said to my brother at the game how much he seemed to be involved in winning the ball back.

There is a perceived view that Vrancic doesn’t/can’t do the defensive side of the game. I can understand that view as last season he did sometimes get completely bypassed in midfield, but I felt that was more due to adapting to the speed of the game rather than his skill set. 

Vrancic is good enough to play in pretty much any Championship team (style dependent) but he is in some way unfortunate that Leitner is also at the club and is one of the best midfielders in the league (ironically Leitner’s emergence at Dortmund one was of the reasons  that Vrancic never progressed there). 

As for Cantwell, he is easily good enough to get regular minutes for anyone in the Championship. He has been better on the wing and like most young players he needs regular rotation to allow him to rest and reflect (the fact Aarons hasn’t needed this is part of the reason he is exceptional). Cantwell isn’t going to burn past players like Hernandez but he is good at moving infield and creating overloads. Stipermann often pushes forward, in advance of Pukki, so leaves a space for Cantwell and Buendia to move into. This movement, which pulls the opposing full backs with them, has been key to getting Lewis and Aarons into space in advanced positions. 

• Like 2

I got tired last season of being ridiculed for posting stats showing how big a defensive contribution Vrancic makes most times he plays — tackles, interceptions, headers, the lot. That said, he is often found wanting when we are defending set pieces, frequently giving the impression of not quite knowing what he’s supposed to do.