Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

How does this fayre compare

It is difficult to compare eras as football has changed so much over the years. I believe Walker played the diamond formation and under Lambert it sometimes felt like the charge of the light brigade. Both were very exciting but during the Lambert era there were times when I felt we were invincible and there was a massive togetherness at the club. It has taken Farke a year to get where we are today. When I think of the turnover of players and a complete change of football philosophy, I cannot believe we are top of the table, and some even feared that relegation was a real possibility. The collective skills level of the team is up there with anything I have seen in the past. How we ended up with Leitner for just over a million pounds, I have no idea. You just have to watch him play and look at the stats to realise how good he is, and he is surrounded by players who can carve teams open. When you consider that Vrancic, Trybull and Hanley( I know he has been injured )are not in the starting eleven, we have the makings of a very special team and for now I am just enjoying the ride. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

If you are going to do that, then the division we were/are in is relevant.

I enjoyed a lot of the Dave Stringer years also. John Bond anyone?

I think the present football is up there with anything I have ever seen from a Norwich side.  The 1988/9 season under Stringer takes some beating for quality of football, but the present way we are playing - if we can keep it going (and I see no reason why we shouldn't) - is up there with the best.

Football is subjective- some loved the Alex Neil balls to the wall style of play while others despaired of the inability to defend.

For me, the years I enjoy are when it feels like the club as whole punches above its weight as one. We had that under Lambert and we have it now.

As king canary says it's all subjective and one of the advantages to being older means there's much more to compare 🙂

In pure footballing terms Mike Walker's early 90's team I think played the best football and would have beaten today's outfit more often than not. Dave Stringer laid the foundations for that.

I think my favourite period has to be the John Bond era. We won diddly-squat but the football was so open and attacking. Everything surrounding the manager was full-on ' bling '. A sign of the times perhaps but it was fun.

In terms of success Paul Lambert must take that award surely ?

Away for the weekend so haven't seen anything but the goals. Reaction when I heard the result probably sums up my opinion on the OT.

It is what each individual gets out of it that is the most important. I am old enough to remember the never believe year but love the cup runs of the late 50's and the live in hope now we have won a trophy of the 60's.

The 70's brought success and the 80's were like a yo yo. The early 90's brought Europe but the remainder brought dullness.

Since the millenium I think reality has set in for most that we take what we can get.

So those of us who have been around long enough are spoilt for knowledgeable choice.So for me it is the Saunders era. Not the prettiest of football but functional and the first time we went away to the big grounds as equals and not just cup hopefuls.