kick it off

NFL Thread

11 hours ago, kick it off said:

That Cowboys game was WILD!

Dallas go up 3 with 3mins left, Lawrence fumbles with 1.30 on the clock. Close call turned over on review with 12 seconds to play giving Jax a timeout back. They promptly get into FG range with a 20 yard completion, convert the FG to tie it and then intercept Dak with a Pick 6 to win it in overtime.

I was more excited by that Cowboys loss than the Eagles win. Number one seed is ours baby!

I assume we've all seen the ridiculous end to the Pats Raiders game? What on earth was that?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

I was more excited by that Cowboys loss than the Eagles win. Number one seed is ours baby!

I assume we've all seen the ridiculous end to the Pats Raiders game? What on earth was that?

I always wonder why we don't see too many laterals in the NFL and that was a perfect example.

Also, fair play to the Lions and Jets this season they have made progress.

12 hours ago, king canary said:

That Pats ending was off the chart. Absolutely ****ing mental. Down 7 with 32 seconds left and end up winning in regulation. Lunacy.

Commanders got shafted by the John Mara officiating company again yesterday. We weren't good but there were 4 or 5 horrible, game changing calls, including 2 ridiculous ones on the last 2 plays of the game. First one McLaurin asked the ref if he was lined up on the line twice (visibly, it's on video below), was told yes twice then flagged to stop a touchdown for not being lined up at the LoS. Last play of the game, if that's not Pass Interference, then I don't quite know what is. It was basically WWE. No flag. Pass broken up, game over.

Edited by kick it off

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Pudy to Kittle, Touchdown! has a pleasingly familiar ring at the moment.

How did this team start 3/4?

49ers looked very decent yesterday. Bosa is an absolute wrecking ball. I'm not sure Purdy is actually that good. The offensive line is just a wall, and the scheme is to get the ball out quick. Not to knock him, considering he was drafted last etc, but I don't think the hype is warranted, he's not being asked to do very much. I feel like a Tannehill or similar could manage this offense in a similar way. Can see 49ers going all the way though, more complete team than the Eagles imo.

3 minutes ago, kick it off said:

49ers looked very decent yesterday. Bosa is an absolute wrecking ball. I'm not sure Purdy is actually that good. The offensive line is just a wall, and the scheme is to get the ball out quick. Not to knock him, considering he was drafted last etc, but I don't think the hype is warranted, he's not being asked to do very much. I feel like a Tannehill or similar could manage this offense in a similar way. Can see 49ers going all the way though, more complete team than the Eagles imo.

He is spending more time on the pitch with the Niners defence being so good. At that is giving him more confidence. At more chance to establish which plays suit him better.

On 26/12/2022 at 06:33, keelansgrandad said:

He is spending more time on the pitch with the Niners defence being so good. At that is giving him more confidence. At more chance to establish which plays suit him better.

He's also been practicing against the 49ers defence all year. i.e running the opposition scout team v the 49ers defence. So although they are presumably told not to not him, he's been getting a lot of practice against very decent opposition 🙂

On 26/12/2022 at 02:27, keelansgrandad said:

How did this team start 3/4?

Chicago  - understandable 

Denver  - understandable

Atlanta  - understandable 

Kansas City - yeah what were they thinking? 

Washington really blew it. 87% chnace to make the playoffs 5 weeks ago and they didnt just screw that up, they did it in spectacular fashion.

Wentz was downright embarrassing last night - so glad we'll be rid of him after next week. We're not that far away from being a decent team but we have to find something at QB and we need to retool the entire OL, they all suck.

AFC and NFC South divisions are woefully poor. And the Bucs make post season by losing every out of conference game.

Niners giving Purdy some extra time on the gridiron by going to overtime. Shanahan not completely happy but nine in a row is not to be sneezed at. Now he just need to keep the players fit. Samuel should be fit for the playoffs so that is a real bonus.

If the Eagles lose to the Giants next week the Niners can grab the #1 seeding for the NFC. 

Just read Damar Hamlin for the Bills suffered a heart attack after being tackled and is now in critical condition with the game itself being suspended. Shades of Eriksen. Hope he recovers.

Edited by KiwiScot
  • Like 1

On 02/01/2023 at 08:32, kick it off said:

Washington really blew it. 87% chnace to make the playoffs 5 weeks ago and they didnt just screw that up, they did it in spectacular fashion.

Wentz was downright embarrassing last night - so glad we'll be rid of him after next week. We're not that far away from being a decent team but we have to find something at QB and we need to retool the entire OL, they all suck.

Feels a little like Ron Riverea signed his own pink slip with that decision. I know Heinicke isn't all that but Wentz is just a busted flush at this point. I honestly wonder if he has a job next season- he's not got a great rep as a locker room guy which hurts his chances to be a back up and he's highly unlikely to get a starting job anywhere.

7 hours ago, Surfer said:

If the Eagles lose to the Giants next week the Niners can grab the #1 seeding for the NFC. 

Yeah the Eagles injuries have caused us to limp to the finish line this season. Minshew looked OK v Dallas but was dreadful v the Saints. Saying that the coaching staff didn't help him at all. We've got a top quality o-line and a very good rushing attack- with Hurts injured they needed to lean on that and put Minshew in 3rd and short situations where he can throw quick passes and let Brown/Smith/Goedert make plays after that catch.

Saying that I still think we'll get the number one seed. Hurts should be back next week and the Giants will likely rest some players as they are locked into the number 6 seed so have nothing to play for. 

You'd better win @king canary because even if 49ers lose, Dallas play us and they will stomp us. No doubt about that.

I dont see where Wentz gets a job next, he's awful. He has been the epitome of professional in his locker room conduct, no complaints around the toxicity that he was rumoured to bring but guys aren't inspired by him, he's not a leader.

I just hope the new ownership come in with some fresh ideas. Rivera has to be gone at this point but might end up with one more year just due to circumstances - kind of depends when the new ownership gets put in place I guess.

9 minutes ago, kick it off said:

You'd better win @king canary because even if 49ers lose, Dallas play us and they will stomp us. No doubt about that.

I dont see where Wentz gets a job next, he's awful. He has been the epitome of professional in his locker room conduct, no complaints around the toxicity that he was rumoured to bring but guys aren't inspired by him, he's not a leader.

I just hope the new ownership come in with some fresh ideas. Rivera has to be gone at this point but might end up with one more year just due to circumstances - kind of depends when the new ownership gets put in place I guess.

The thing is it seems like the Commanders aren't that far away from being a playoff team and this is a good year to go and add a solid vet QB. If I was in charge I'd be on the phone to the Raiders asking for Derek Carr and then investing my free agency and draft capital into improving the o-line as the Bengals have done. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I would have  to put the Vikings as the most likely to get top seed. Can't see the awful Bears stopping them.

You'll get long odds as the Vikings can't get the number one seed 😉

They lose tiebreakers to every other team in the running.

It seems strange that a team with a losing regular season record can still win the Superbowl. Do they want a new stat that says Brady wins the first Superbowl from a losing season?

Great for the Niners to have Samuel and Mitchell back fit for the postseason.

18 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Chiefs v Eagles in the Superbowl?

Dolphins v Seahawks maybe?

From the NFC I'm mainly concerned about the 49ers. Dak is playing poorly enough that he'll give teams a chance v the Cowboys, the Vikings are chokers and Tampa don't bring much to the party.

On the AFC side there are 3 excellent teams- Bills, Chiefs and Bengals, while the Chargers have found form at the right time.

I will say this playoff slate is a great argument against the expansion to 14 teams. Did anyone really need to watch the Dolphins on their 3rd string QB or the Seahawks in the playoffs? Feels like it dilutes the quality.

As a 49ers fan, the NFC team I'm most worried about is the Giants. They too often have had our number. 

But if we do get back to the Super Bowl, I think any one of those three AFC teams mentioned would be favorites (witness our loss to the Chiefs 44 - 23 in week 7) 

2 hours ago, Surfer said:

As a 49ers fan, the NFC team I'm most worried about is the Giants. They too often have had our number. 

But if we do get back to the Super Bowl, I think any one of those three AFC teams mentioned would be favorites (witness our loss to the Chiefs 44 - 23 in week 7) 

Our last defeat.

On 09/01/2023 at 12:46, king canary said:

From the NFC I'm mainly concerned about the 49ers. Dak is playing poorly enough that he'll give teams a chance v the Cowboys, the Vikings are chokers and Tampa don't bring much to the party.

On the AFC side there are 3 excellent teams- Bills, Chiefs and Bengals, while the Chargers have found form at the right time.

I will say this playoff slate is a great argument against the expansion to 14 teams. Did anyone really need to watch the Dolphins on their 3rd string QB or the Seahawks in the playoffs? Feels like it dilutes the quality.

Dak was absolutely horrific against us on Sunday. Genuinely one of the worst performances I've ever seen from any Quarterback... and I'm a washington fan so that's a deep pool I'm drawing from 😂 The Cowboys in general sucked to be fair. Micah is a disruptor and on his day can be a dominant force but aside from that they're really not as good as their record suggests. Their DL couldn't get near our rookie QB on Sunday (played well and should be competing to be our QB1 next year, he looked good enough to be in that conversation but obv small sample size)... in fact, he scored a rushing TD by literally trucking through about 5 cowboy defenders.

Cousins has always been a choker. His prime time record is disgusting. I wouldn't worry about the Vikes.

Eagles or Niners are the best teams in conference and one of them absolutely should be the NFC representative in the Superbowl.

Josh Allen will be a problem for every team. Him and Hurts are by far the best performing QBs this season. Whoever makes it to the big show from the NFC should be praying that some other team knocks him out on the way.

Agree on the playoff expansion. Its not something that needed to happen and don't think it benefits the league.

Edited by kick it off

27 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Until Ward fcuks up for the third time and a head shot and 15 yarder gives Seattle a FG. They really ought to replace Ward for the 2nd half.

Difference right now seems to be whether Seattle can respond.