Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Sold

£12.5m for Jacob... exciting times.... Nelson next... happy days

[quote user="Mike "]£12.5m for Jacob... exciting times.... Nelson next... happy days[/quote]

Josh will be better given the opportunity, more direct and pace imo

Hope you are right but I prefer Jacob. His goal tally far better.

Really not happy about not seeing the best years of a player who has been with us since he was 11 years old.

And PLEASE do not say that £12.5m for an England U21 international with 4 years left on his contract is a good thing.

This is a fire sale & nothing else.

If we didn''t have Josh, I''d be miffed, but we have a capeable replacement and now enough money to let Webber and Farke go after some of their more expensive targets. This sale wasn''t accounted for, maybe they knew before Franke came in but apart from that transfer they''ve worked to a much smaller budget than they''ll get now which should give them a lot of room to reshape the squad closer to how Farke wants it.

Jacob is a great player, but we got the same money we got for Redmond last year, who had already had two seasons of Pl football and a Championship promotion in his locker.

I was hoping we could squeeze Newcastle for a bit more given their desperation but it''s not the worst fee we''ve ever gotten. Plus before when we''ve made a sale like this we haven''t usually had a perfect replacement waiting in the wings which helps

[quote user="Mike "]Hope you are right but I prefer Jacob. His goal tally far better.

Really not happy about not seeing the best years of a player who has been with us since he was 11 years old.

And PLEASE do not say that £12.5m for an England U21 international with 4 years left on his contract is a good thing.

This is a fire sale & nothing else.[/quote]

I''m not pleased either, but until as recently as last season Josh was considered the better player, i think a more determined attitude to the game has seen Jacob push on and also enables him to do the defensive side of the game abit more. Hopefully Farke can get Josh fired up and maybe thats the plan, either that or we needed the money to pay Jarvis wages.

As SW said, the talk of a fire sale is, and I quote ''bull $hit''.

We have released/sold some players we didn''t want. I liked Dorrans but many didn''t, other than that we''ve sold 2. That isn''t a fire sale.

Don''t worry we will have Josh to sell next season

Facts are we have too many attacking options and too few defensive, have a direct option with Josh, can''t compete with prem option for a player with a good season at champs level only.

Ideally I would want him to stay, but once the head is turned, as with howson, we may as well let go rather than be disruptive.

We have lost better players than howson and Jacob and proposered. Using the cash now is key.

Happy enough with the fee and it''s quite telling there hasn''t been more uproar on this board.

As mentioned in another thread, we have a proven Championship operator in Watkins and we still have Josh.

Newcastle are paying for potential. He''s not the finished article and whose to say if he has peaked or if Josh will eventually overtake him.

Fee is decent enough for us, gives Jacob a shot at the Premier League and gives us a chance to invest in areas of the side that are lacking. A dominant box to box midfielder and at least 1 CB please. We need a Damian Francis type in there. Howson was tidy but never did enough in either box. Dorrans the same. Time to get someone in who will push us forward and ideally strap on the captain''s armband.