Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Baboon

Healthy Does of Reality?

We won''t beat everybody this season. A result like this has been coming (Newcastle was different)

But...

We are 2nd - who wouldn''t have accepted that at the start of the season

We didn''t lose - we always lose at Fulham, who wouldn''t have took a point at 7.30 tonight?

Away games - we have now played Ipswich, Newcastle, Wolves, Forest and Fulham away, 5 games you would look at before the season where we may struggle. When it comes to the run in, we are going to have the big teams who have to come to us

Some may be extremely unhappy with tonight, yes it''s frustrating, but far from a disaster

or the end of the world ?We didn''t sign that extra striker so we are struggling to score... well almostWe have an inexperienced manager so we are not going to mount a challenge... well, perhaps at the moment it might appear that waywhere are the youngsters who should be coming through... apart from the ones in the first team squad and those on loanWe cannot even fill the ground, I saw an empty seat on Sat...... someone said he had gone to the loo, but that is no exciuseand what does Stephen Fry or that Bowkett bloke do. McNally has even gone quiet.Sack the board, get rid of the cook, build a new stand.... four legs good baa baa

We now know what we have. A powerful midfield capable of scoring lots of goals. A very respectable centre forward in Jerome. The defensive element is pretty weak. Pinto and olsonn are good attacking fullbacks but not the best in defence. Klosse is our best defender albeit not as good and consistent as we think he is. Martin a good servant to the club but would not get into a top 6 defence and tettey not the player he was. He is ok but inconsistent tends to panick and finds two games in a week very hard. Lose Jerome and we are in trouble buy a good CB and we will reap rewards

This reminds me of the two prem seasons under Lambert and then Hughton. Both seasons we finished mid table. The first under Lambert the complaints were all about defense. Under Hughton it was totally the other way around. But in truth you can only be as good as you are.

I don''t think we''re good enough to score enough goals if we set up defensively. I also don''t think we''re good enough to stop enough goals if we go gung ho. So we have a balance at the moment and we''re scoring more than we concede.

The complaint seems to be that we need to adapt our style between the extremes during games. This has a new fangled name called game management. But doing so is not as easy as flipping a switch.