Sign in to follow this  
Capt_Canary

Genius Or Got Lucky

But Bradwell, DM did have one month fewer in the Summer window. You really can''t dispute that.

i dont think he was lucky, he did well last season, the problem is he had abandoned what got us promoted, the newcastle result clearly knocked his confidence in his management stylesince then hes been playing centre mids as wingers, numbers 10s as wingers, no wingers, and more often than not weve been very negative, quite often we look like weve been sent out not to concede/play for a draw, instead of going for the jugular. We often see the best from the team AFTER weve conceded and we chuck the kitchen sink at the opposition for the last 15 minutes, if we did that from the start wed be a hell of a lot better offwe need to play to our attacking strength cause defensively we suck

"Fuzzar "But Bradwell, DM did have one month fewer in the Summer window. You really can''t dispute that.

Sorry Fuzzar but I will.

The summer transfer window is the same length for all clubs.

If you''re saying he was hamstrung by the fact we didn''t know which league we would be in and therefore the budget may have been different (transfer targets may also have wanted to know where we would be playing before committing) then I agree this may have had an impact, although the actual gap between the last match of the regular season and the play off final was only 23 days and I''m sure any CEO worth his salt would already have been making plans, starting negotiations, etc. or certainly the 7th highest paid in the Prem would have, wouldn''t he?

Sorry Ray, but I don''t think Adams was learning fast or had turned it around. The 5-0 was against a team that played with 10 men for 75 minutes, the 6-1 was against a team that was eventually relegated, and his last league game at Reading saw one of the worst performances I have had the misfortune of attending.

Eccles,

I agree the Reading game was not great, but he had won 3 and drawn 1 of the previous 4 games after a poor run, irrespective of the oppo, and we had scored a few. Had we beaten Reading (which I know we didn''t) I just wonder what would have happened. He was ''sacked'' after 3 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss in his previous 5 games, there''s not many managers that suffer that fate after that run of games. The next game was a win too, with 10 men against Bournemouth and AN was in the stands and had been with us for one day, from memory.

All that said my main point was that we replaced an inexperienced manager with another inexperienced manager and who knows whether NA would have become a better manager than our current manager, especially as he had already gone through a learning process. In effect his learning process was cut short. His ''sacking''may have been a knee jerk reaction as a result of the events that took place later in the evening of the Reading defeat?

[quote user="Ray"]All that said my main point was that we replaced an inexperienced manager with another inexperienced manager and who knows whether NA would have become a better manager than our current manager, especially as he had already gone through a learning process. In effect his learning process was cut short. His ''sacking''may have been a knee jerk reaction as a result of the events that took place later in the evening of the Reading defeat?[/quote]
What Adams would have become is moot because he didn''t want to be a football manager and that''s why he quit. How many clubs part company with their manager and then immediately announce he''ll be returning to take up some unspecified backroom job next season? Nothing quite says "I''ve had enough of management" like securing your future in non-management before you resign!
It''s fair to wonder if we''d have been better off sticking with Adams long term, but if Adams didn''t want the job it doesn''t really matter. If Adams had any desire to build a career in management he would have at least taken some time to think about his future and consider his options - as you point out his record wasn''t bad and I''m sure he''d have gotten another chance  with a different club.

I think this year Alex Neil is really learning about ''management'' for the first time in his career. Previously he set his stall out this is the way we are going to play, and 100% believed in the message he was giving to his players. That worked in Scotland and the championship. The premier league is a step up.

Parma talks about weapons at this level, we haven''t got enough. The way we compensated is through increased numbers - and that left us open. We switched and played more defensively, and reaped some early reward, but then got found out (and exposed for lack of defensive quality too) there too. Defeats followed and with principles abandoned & confidence low, I think Neil has struggled to find the right message / balance. This balance would be easier for an ''Allardyce'' to find because of his considerable premiership experience.

Alex Neil hasn''t had the impact from transfers, but there are no easy fixes for a club of our size. I don''t believe it is for the want of trying. It is simply just difficult to guarantee to improve on what we have without spending a lot of money, and keep a harmonious squad in tandem.

So I go back to the start, he will have learnt a lot about management this season, I still back him pretty sure the board does.

Otbc