Sign in to follow this  
Derby Canary

Prudence or negligence?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Vanwink"]Purple, it was a recent radio Norfolk interview which doesn''t seem to have been reported since, I heard it in the car Monday morning and it was basically that the play off final and because we didn''t have a proper scoutng (I believe ) and recruitment team in place we were ill prepared for the window.

That sounds like a strategic failure by the club which was my comment a the time, yes we signed players and did business but had we been properly prepared we could have enjoyed a much better window and had more of the players AN considered we needed bedded in much earlier.[/quote]Van, and Jim, in that case (I cannot receive Radio Norfolk!) it is quite fair to say we were unprepared. That said, even if we were not ready at the start, I still believe our main failing that summer was not getting a centre-half, and unless ALL the reports were wrong  we did end up making very hefty bids for at least a couple of overseas players. In particular Koulibaly at Napoli. Whether that deal (or one like it) was, as I thought at the time, unrealistic and never going to happen, or as McNally supposedly later told fans, only scuppered by the club putting the mockers on it at a late stage when the player had said Yes, is a question.If we had got our act together earlier would we have got the likes of Koulibaly, or would we - as is often the case - have had to wait until late on for such a high-profile target (and his high-profile club) to make a decision, so being unprepared at the start effectively made no difference? Another question. But being unready at the start plainly didn''t help.[/quote]Just to add that if Highland''s absurd conspiracy theory (that Bowkett had refused to let us spend money in the summer, although how his one vote in the boardroom won the day against six went unexplained, and it was only his departure that unlocked the coffers) hadn''t already been holed below the waterline it certainly has been now. It was nothing to do with a lack of money but - in part at least - the lack of forward planning that meant we failed to spend what we had allocated.

I certainly would not regard the machinations of boardroom decision-making, which is obviously hidden from view, in any sense representing a ''conspiracy''. Presumably, one of the features of good governance is the diversity of attributes of individual board members but, ultimately, boards have to arrive at an agreed strategy.

Alex Neil''s Radio Norfolk interview can be listened to here - [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03h6cpz]Norwich City manager expecting quiet deadline day[/url].

[quote user="93vintage"]Alex Neil''s Radio Norfolk interview can be listened to here - [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03h6cpz]Norwich City manager expecting quiet deadline day[/url].[/quote]Thanks for the link.

Pink''un is hilarious everyone an expert despite it being painfully obvious no one actually has any business experience or knowledge whatsoever

[quote user="T"]Pink''un is hilarious everyone an expert despite it being painfully obvious no one actually has any business experience or knowledge whatsoever[/quote]

Don''t be so sure of that T, I have have had a lot of business experience as have quite a number of posters on here.

Basically it''s keeping income above overheads and maintaining a steady growth.

I did say basically, there''s a lot more to it than that.

For the record, I approve of the way the finances of NCFC are being handled at the moment.

Yes we can gamble and increase the wages structure because of the assured tv money and consistent gates/season tickets and other bits and pieces. The sales of various players recently will have helped in this enormously..

We cannot however stretch too far and invite debt should we fail. Debt is a quicksand.

In sum, I feel that a bit of measured gambling is correct, but the Board must also keep an eye on the distinct possibility of another relegation.

Because of this, there clearly has to be a limit on the amount of money we can risk chasing the pot of gold.

So much now depends on AN and his new recruits.

I am about 50/50 on appraisal of our survival chances.

The next game might well be seen as the season''s most important. We will need experience along with new boys.

Ruddy in goal for me, Martin as right back. O''Neill in.

Is that a business decision or a footballing decision?

They seem to clash a lot these days.

The message you are replying to: Re: Prudence or negligence?

PurpleCanary wrote the following post at 03/02/2016 8:56 PM:

Vanwink wrote:

Purple, it was a recent radio Norfolk interview which doesn''t seem to have been reported since, I heard it in the car Monday morning and it was basically that the play off final and because we didn''t have a proper scoutng (I believe ) and recruitment team in place we were ill prepared for the window. That sounds like a strategic failure by the club which was my comment a the time, yes we signed players and did business but had we been properly prepared we could have enjoyed a much better window and had more of the players AN considered we needed bedded in much earlier.

Van, and Jim, in that case (I cannot receive Radio Norfolk!) it is quite fair to say we were unprepared. That said, even if we were not ready at the start, I still believe our main failing that summer was not getting a centre-half, and unless ALL the reports were wrong we did end up making very hefty bids for at least a couple of overseas players. In particular Koulibaly at Napoli. Whether that deal (or one like it) was, as I thought at the time, unrealistic and never going to happen, or as McNally supposedly later told fans, only scuppered by the club putting the mockers on it at a late stage when the player had said Yes, is a question.

If we had got our act together earlier would we have got the likes of Koulibaly, or would we - as is often the case - have had to wait until late on for such a high-profile target (and his high-profile club) to make a decision, so being unprepared at the start effectively made no difference? Another question. But being unready at the start plainly didn''t help.

Having now relistened to the interview, thanks to the link, I think I recalled it reasonably well.

No recruitment team in place and little scouting of players going on, the picture painted of a fairly chaotic and certainly badly prepared approach to the window which confirms criticisms made at the time.

As for who we could have signed, had we been better prepared, none of us can answer that: the only firm conclusion for me is that from a strategic management perspective we were very poor and in that way did not give ourselves the best possible chance of a successful window.

Whilst I acknowledge all that Delia and her husband have done (financially) for our Club her overall influence does concern me. With unjustified loyalty to some Managers/players and more latterly appointments to the Board from friends and family. Nepotism has no place in running any business!

David McNally has been suspiciously quiet season long and the chairman did suddenly resign after being reelected only a fortnight previous.

I wonder whether Delia has noticed that one of her all time favourites, Grant Holt is now available? At least if he was appointed to the Board it would bring SOME football knowledge!

[quote user="Gordon Bennett"]I don''t really see the point in discussing this issue right now, nobody knows how our new signings will affect our fortunes over the next fifteen games. The time for post mortems is when the season has finished, not on the day of a massive game and when there is a good vibe around the club after a successful transfer window.[/quote]

Still got time to bed these no hopers in guys? Sadly I think it is all over.