Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

Mbokani & Bamford

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]In the first half against Villa Mbokani was the stand out player and was slightly unlucky on a couple of occasions.

May be we should now treat this season as the equivalent of that sixtieth minute of a game when you are one goal down and bring more strikers on ie. both Mbokani and Bamford to start, with Redmond and Brady wide with the defence protected by two defensive mid-fielders .... clearly Tettey when available and O''Neill. What''s gone wrong with Mulumbu? I rated him at the Albion, in pre-season he was outstanding, then one injury and he''s a different player. He did show some signs of a revival at Villa, some at least, so let''s hope he is back at his best soon.

Two up front anybody?[/quote]
Did you really think so? I thought he was atrocious at Villa. His worst performance in a city shirt and worst player on the pitch by a large margin.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Scoring goals isn''t the big problem - out of the bottom eleven teams, ony three have scored more than us, Chelsea, Sunderland and Bn''mth.  Its the other end that is the pressing issue.  We were matching Stoke at 1-1, we were beating Liverpool 3-1.   We can''t defend as a team, especially if players get needlessly gets sent off,  or defenders and goalkeepers make big errors.   I have every faith in Mbokani and Bamford - and Jerome (remember that overhead?) to score enough goals.  Learnng to defend better is surely the main issue. 

[/quote]
Lakey, I don''t know who is posting under your username, but given that I agree with 100% of this post I think it''s safe to say it isn''t you!! [:D] Seriously though, you''re spot on here, although I do note and accept the points about defending from the front. 

[quote user="ron obvious"]He''s scored 4 in 15, not 20+ games. Villa was probably his worst game for us; he was outjumped by Lescott & caught offside more times in that game than the rest combined.

Even so he looked the most likely to score - he had a shot cleared & only the defender blocking with his arm (unintentionally) stopped him scoring from a tight angle on the follow up. He was blatantly hauled down in the area following a cross from the left.

I think he may be getting jaded. I wouldn''t mind seeing what Bamford could do if started, although I have my doubts; it''s not quality but his determination that concerns me.[/quote]

Hooper didn''t "score double" than what Mbokani has in 17 more games. Mbokani has also already surpassed Hooper''s goal from play total too, that post (not yours) was amazingly ridiculously stupid.

Add to the fact that HOOPER DIDN''T SCORE 8 PL GOALS the year we got relegated, it was really a up there in truly the "truly special" category in a place that excels with those takes.

[quote user="jaemae2"][quote user="ron obvious"]He''s scored 4 in 15, not 20+ games. Villa was probably his worst game for us; he was outjumped by Lescott & caught offside more times in that game than the rest combined.

Even so he looked the most likely to score - he had a shot cleared & only the defender blocking with his arm (unintentionally) stopped him scoring from a tight angle on the follow up. He was blatantly hauled down in the area following a cross from the left.

I think he may be getting jaded. I wouldn''t mind seeing what Bamford could do if started, although I have my doubts; it''s not quality but his determination that concerns me.[/quote]

Hooper didn''t "score double" than what Mbokani has in 17 more games. Mbokani has also already surpassed Hooper''s goal from play total too, that post (not yours) was amazingly ridiculously stupid.[/quote]

Aargh, so 4 in 15 makes such better reading than 4 in 20+ games.

My mistake, Hooper scored 8 goals that season. Notice he''s playing regularly and up for monthly award

Yes, it does. Especially when it was 6 in 32 - 0 in 9 this season.

Now he''s back in the Champs. I''m sure he''ll do very well. Better than BJ I hope.

''''it''s not quality but his determination that concerns me''''........Jaemae on Bamford.

I thought the one thing he showed plenty of, against us at home last season was determination. despite being injured for much of the game he really put in a shift, was mentally tough enough to drop when it was smart to do so, take the abuse from the crowd and miraculously recover when needed. rather like a certain mr Vardy did to us earlier this season. That takes balls away from home.

Apologies Ron, and Jaemae. After the last 6 games i have doubts too.

We won''t know about Bamford in the PL till he''s played 6 games or so.

[quote user="Samwam27"]Make that 4 in 16 now![/quote]

He came on in the 85th. I dont know what the stats are but minutes per goal is a far more reasonable comparison to make than goals per appearance

Cameron was brilliant but once we went 2-0 up the game cried out for bamford to come on and stretch the west ham back four with his clever runs. Not for Mbokani who seems to struggle to hold the ball up and bring others into play. This was proved when Redmond ran beyond him and he passed it backwards to Brady in the final minutes

I bet Bamford is well pleased he let Neil talk him into coming here , cannot get any game time with the strikers we have must be very depressing .How long before he walks out like at Palace .