Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Robert Snodgrass

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="unique"]his delivery, which has provided more opportunities for his teammates to score, than nearly every other player in the PL, puts him way ahead of Snodgrass.[/quote]Brady would have been just as ineffective as Snoddy was if he played under Hughton. He would have soon realised it was a waste of time putting decent crosses in if there was nobody up there to get on the end of them.[/quote]

Plenty of occasions in the first season Holt would be arriving in the box and not being delivered the ball.  In the second season it was RVW, until he lost the will to do it.  The only decent crosses that I saw that were put in for him all season until the Fulham game away, were in the first one by Whittaker - and that was a spinning cross shot gone wrong - and one by Martin who had got ahead of Snodgrass on the right for once against who, I forget.  RVW may not have been as good as we all hoped, but still could have scored more, given better service......oh and a free shot from the penalty spot, had "someone" not demanded the ball off him.

[/quote]

His exploits so far at St Etienne and Betis would suggest otherwise...

Once Snodgrass ruined Ricky''s confidence, and his life, it was inevitable he would fail at St Etienne and Real Betis.  
Ricky will not succeed again at football until:
a) Snodgrass meets Ricky on a space station and chops off Ricky''s hand
b) Snodgrass confirms he is Ricky''s father
c) Ricky chops off Snodgrass''s hand
d) Ricky rejects the advances of Snodgrass''s manager
e) Snodgrass throws his manager down a well, eliminating the dark side from the galaxy
f) Ricky cradles a dying Snodgrass in his arms and forgives him
That is my prediction and I am sticking to it.
END OF.

Some strange comments on Snodgrass on here, i''m convinced some posters have never watched him 2 games in a row, in my opinion the only criticism you could really put as a negative to him was the way he wore his heart on his sleeve, and let the watching world see his emotions, positive and negative.

He didn''t have any real pace, he wasn''t the most talented player, but he would look to drag those around him along, and all that while playing for a manager who was more concerned about setting his team up for not losing as opposed to winning.

And before anyone shoots me down, think of the best manager and the worst manager you experienced directly in either your working life or sporting life, and you might have an idea where Snoddy''s demeanour came from.

He was one of the only positives out of that season. I think we''ve improved on both wings, being honest. But at the time he was the only player who could do anything.
People say he didn''t supply RvW. Well his current loan spell and the previous one suggest he''s actually just shit.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

Nutty Nigel: "It''s interesting to compare Lakey''s comments about Snoddy with his

comments about RVW. The only explanation I can think of to understand

the difference would be that Lakey rates his footballers in the same way

teenage girls rate boy bands.......2

As I said previously, his off pitch demeanour and attitudes are a different story.  I only talk about what he takes on to the pitch.  I rate Snodgrass how I saw him - I''ll not go into it again - but as a footballer, if Snoddy was in a boy band, it would be like one of the also rans at Xfactor - full of enthusiasm, some definite abiliity, but too often singing out of tune with the rest of the band.

As for RVW, the other members of the band wouldn''t let him have the microphone........

[/quote]
Probably because they knew he''d balls it up and yodel.

while I don''t think badly about Robert and he did well for us

I really don''t care when or if he plays former players are not on my list to look out for

Snodgrass was a curious player. Despite being one of our best offensive weapons (particularly with his set pieces) he was also part of the overall problem of why we were so ponderous in attack.

He wasn''t able to break at any real speed and would also look to check onto his right foot, meaning that a defence had time to readjust their position and be comfortable against any ball he put in. We also channelled most of our play through him, making us more predictable to play against.

I genuinely think we''ve improved on both flanks and we now have players who are able to break at speed and unsettle defences more from open play than Snodgrass did. However, he gave it his all while he was here and his set pieces were basically a big part of why we stayed up in the first year under Hughton.

We got excellent money for him and I hope he recovers fully and really kicks on this year.