Sign in to follow this  
tom cavendish

Scouting thoughts of midfielders

[quote user="Wes Hooly Fan"]It also didn''t help that Chris Hughton adopted a rigid and ambition free system. It wasn''t just Wes Hoolahan''s game that was worsened as a result.[/quote]Whilst I don''t entirely disagree, its all too convenient to just blame Hughton for everything though, isn''t it?

Cast your mind back to 2011/12.

Hoolahan was involved in the majority of our games. Not every one, and Paul Lambert often dropped him if he didn''t fit into the game''s system. He had a very good season and scored 5 goals, including our first one back at Wigan. In many of the games against those around him, he proved the difference, working excellently as usual with Grant Holt. At QPR he came on, and with David Fox, essentially won us the game.

Although he didn''t start every game and was sometimes used from the bench, there was no ''dummy spitting'' and we had a happy player on our hands.

Now, Chris Hughton showed little faith in our players attacking wise, and we all know what happened to Wes last season.

However, every manager of Norwich City has loved Wes and got him into the team and most notably our best ones, Neil and Lambert have got very good seasons out of him.

Wes can be criticised for sure. Yeah, he can give it away. But, he always wants the ball. He always tries to make things happen and we always look better going forward with him in the team. When he''s on it he''s an absolute delight to watch. He is unique.

[quote user="Wes Hooly Fan"]Still trying to defend Hughton, deary me. I can only assume you enjoy watching ambition free dross. Fair enough.[/quote]See you let yourself down when you say stupid things like that, where am I defending Hughton exactly? And why on earth would I want to watch ambition free dross?

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="morty"][quote user="mrs miggins"]I agree with you M and that''s the reason why we won''t see him feature in every game, I expect him to start a lot of games on the bench.[/quote]Which brings us back to why he was a bit part player last time, and his subsequent dummy spitting, which begs the question, will he be happy being on the bench a lot of the time?[/quote]
I have a feeling he will play more under Alex Neil than he did under Hughton. I also don''t think it''ll require interest from Villa to start playing him!
I agree re Morty saying we have to be high up the pitch for Wes to play his best. It''s true in the sense that the pockets of space i mentioned earlier are in that space between the oppositions midfield and defence. However, I think Bor is correct in saying you''re perhaps being a bit unfair to say Wes plays well when the team plays well. It''s just as equally plausible that Wes is what makes the team tick. It''s also fair to say he''s incredibly good in possession and whilst some people bemoan the amount of turns etc he does to beat a player, he is very good at keeping the ball which will allow time for the midfield to join the attack. This will be important in a league where we will be defending more than attacking. It''s also fair to say that Wes'' workrate under Alex Neil has been similar to that under Lambert and is very good at defending from the front.
[/quote]And that is key. His workrate under Hughton was lacking, now whether you blame the manager or player, that is the reason he wasn''t always playing. We''ll see I guess, theres no right or wrong, only opinion. A lot depends on who we buy and what systems Alex sets out. I will be more than happy if Wes can continue the form he has showed at the back end of the season. But I think there is a very real danger in thinking he is the answer to every question, especially in the Premiership.

It doesn''t make too much of a difference how much he will feature next season, even if he continues his good form into the prem there will still be questions asked about how long he can keep it up. Will his ''legs go'' next season, the season after or even midway through next season? As others have said, it is too risky to rely on him to perform week in and week out, especially at the top level.

Long story short, Wes will need competition/replacement soon. Someone younger who can step in with a similar impact and make things happen. I will eat every hat I own if Andreu turns out to be this player.

One of the key area''s we should look to invest in this summer IMO. Heaven forbid, but he will be almost impossible to replace if we are back in the championship this time next year...

The thing is Wes is a bit of rarity- you don''t get many like him at any level and it would be silly to just try and find a like for like.

Hughton clearly had designs on using a more physical, box to box type player to link midfield and attack (Fer) but due to injuries/Hughton having no idea how to manage a team it didn''t work out.

What a lot of dribble !

Hoolahan to have a part role ? Why not just kiss the season goodbye!

We dominate games when he plays. It''s simple win the ball, give it to Hoolahan - he has the ability to hold on to it and bring in his team mates. Those team mates (Howson, Redmond, etc..) are quality players & will do the business. No opposition team regardless who they are will beat us without the ball.

You lot can analyse it all you want - the answer is simple, if we want to win points - play Hoolahan.

Miggins wrote:

What we''ve seen wes do since AN came in, into his 4141 system, is he''ll pick the ball up from deep to start the move and create time and space for the team to start an attack, he''ll then receive the ball again in key areas on the edge of the box to create goal scoring opportunities. Therefore his job isn''t to just be a normal number 10 and hang around in-between the pocket between defence and midfield of the opposition, it''s to also start the move as well and to become part of the transition between defence and attack; something which he''s done really well at in the last few years compared to when he first joined us.

---------------------------------------------------------------

= holds the ball & controls the game from midfield = deprives the opposition of the ball = dominates the game = should start & play most of the games this season

Good observation Miggins