Sign in to follow this  
Derby Canary

Architects of our own downfall!

Speculation and hypothesising is all pointless, but aren''t the ifs buts and maybes part of what keeps us interested and debating?

I was underwhelmed at Adams appointment, but I could see why they did it. My choice would have been Rosler, but that would have been just as big even if not a bigger risk, though the Alex Neil risk was pretty huge.

It''ll indeed never be proved but Jim''s statistics are interesting and show that there would have been a fair chance that we would have gained more points over the whole season with AN in charge since August. That would have had us celebrating now.

But we are where we are and I for one am pretty confident that we''ll be OK in the play offs. I actually think that lightning will not strike twice should we meet M''Boro in the final, they showed they were frightened of us by shutting up shop and that will be harder at Wembley I feel. None of the others worry me over two legs, especially with our away record hopefully putting us in a strong position for the return.

I remember 2002 like it was yesterday and it was an amazing rollercoaster, the celebration after the third goal against Wolves is one of my favourite CR memories.

I am posting this from Tokyo towards the end of a Far East holiday so have had to keep in touch via Sky Sports News.

Alex Neil has done a wonderful job to get using the play offs and so close to automatic promotion from a position where we were 11 points behind then leaders Bournemouth. The players should feel proud of what they have achieved under AN and I''m feeling confident that with the correct preparation they are capable of getting us to Wembley and a return to the Premier League. we may even have to dump on the scum again in the process.

OTBC!!

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="93vintage"]After the disaster of relegation we should have tried to get the Cook to leave instead of sticking with Adams.[/quote]Disaster? What disaster? The club is in the best health ever and you talk about disaster! On this tasting 93vintage is a pretty raw wine.[/quote]The best health ever? We''ve halved our income, had umpteen backroom staff leave the club and

just been overtaken by another side which has come up from the bottom

division. I said on another thread that one of the reasons we failed to get automatic promotion was that we''re still recovering from Hughton''s damaging reign.Keep drinking the club''s kool-aid if you want, many fans would have us believe we''re well run and relegation was just plain bad luck. But many fans saw a less than rosy picture, viewing relegation as a disaster and the club''s appointment of Adams as compounding the problem.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]It''s called perspective vintage. I''m aware that many fans don''t have it :-)[/quote]That''s "perspective" meaning "understanding the relative importance of things" (OED).

Westcoast, unfortunately you bit the wrong hook. In my post "the Cook" was a reference to Paul Cook at Chesterfield, who would have made a decent managerial choice a year ago. Kudos for getting in Alex Neil, but to say that nobody better than Neil Adams was available last summer is ridiculous nonsense. It was the board''s job to find someone who was acceptable and they failed.

[quote user="93vintage"]Westcoast, unfortunately you bit the wrong hook. In my post "the Cook" was a reference to Paul Cook at Chesterfield, who would have made a decent managerial choice a year ago. Kudos for getting in Alex Neil, but to say that nobody better than Neil Adams was available last summer is ridiculous nonsense. It was the board''s job to find someone who was acceptable and they failed.[/quote]vintage, where did I say anything about "the Cook"?  My comment was about your talk of  our being back in the Championship as "disaster".