Sign in to follow this  
Derby Canary

Architects of our own downfall!

If we do not go up via the playoffs you have to say by:Giving Martin to Derby to score goalsLoaning Bassong to Watford + selling Ayala to Middlesbrough to prevent goalsGiving Surman to Bournemouth to create goalsSigning Grabban from Bournemouth instead of his replacement WilsonThe people (various) responsible for running our Club have made a huge contribution to our current state of affairs........not to mention own goals, goals direct from corners, stupid sending offs etc etc

"The people (various) responsible for running our Club have made a huge

contribution to our current state of affairs........not to mention own

goals, goals direct from corners, stupid sending offs etc etc"I don''t remember Delia scoring an OG or McNally missing a header, but hey-ho, that''s the lack of streams for you.

If ONLY there were some sort of play-off campaign we could enter into to try and get promoted...

Nah. Wont work. Rubbish idea. [:''(] [:''(]

Thread after thread after thread full of negativity, knowing best and playing the blame game. If the players just go through the motions of the playoffs, get knocked out, and then look for others to blame at least we''ll know where they picked it up from.

We are the in touching distance of promotion. If as it looks likely its the playoffs, we have nothing to fear. But if the belief is that playing these games is failure, or beneath us, the we will have little chance of success against teams who feel they are achieving and really up for the challenge.

It''s astonishing, it really is.
There was a time when supporting your club meant taking the bad times with the good, and not digging in the dirt after every setback, looking for reasons to be angry or irritated or upset by the club you claim to support.
I can only presume that people who revel in this blame culture must have a distinct lack of joy in their lives and/or are so angry with the world for whatever reason that they need to have someone or something to pin all their disappointment and anger on.
Sad, sad, sad.

Martin had his chance, with us, didn''t take it. Ayala was too injury prone, looked like a good decision to get rid. Surman has played 40 games this season-the same number as the player who has slotted into his position-Surman has scored 3 and got 3 assists, Bradley Johnson has scored 13 with 2 assists-and can tackle-I know who I''d rather have.

Nutty for what it''s worth I think you''re right. All I''ll do is make a quick No Sh*t Sherlock statement of fact:

To win the play-offs Norwich City must win a Cup Semi Final over two legs and a Cup Final at Wembley.

Anyone care to remind me what our record is in cup games over the last 10 years or so?!

Right about that positivity...

I really don''t see what relevance our cup record in competitions that we have realistically had no chance of ever winning has to do with the play-offs.

Yeah Crabby, I''ve been trying to ignore the idiotic comments that these woodwork crawlers have been making recently but sometimes you just have to respond.

The tide is turning against McNally he has been dreadfully exposed for the fool that he is this season.

The sooner he and the Stowmarket 2 go and we can get a professional set up at the club the better.

[quote user="Hector Prune "]The tide is turning against McNally he has been dreadfully exposed for the fool that he is this season.

The sooner he and the Stowmarket 2 go and we can get a professional set up at the club the better.[/quote]

Then if we go up through the playoffs what then?

Pretty sure the minimum plan was playoffs.

The last two games have been down to the players. They weren''t good enough. End of story.

David McNally is one of the best CEOs in the business.

He saved this club and delia has really pumped a lot of money into this club

Idiots like you have no clue whatsoever.

Go support Cambridge United wank3r

god it''s a good job we are in watfords Orr bournemouy''s position some of the prats on here would already have us relegated

Let us face up to the truth as individuals at different times some of our players have looked good but as a team we have failed to deliver the goods.Our build up in attacks has been far too slow and against other top teams fast raiding forwards our defence has been found wanting. One wonders what next season will bring apart from the obscene money should we make it through the play offs.

Hindsight is a big thing, Most of these players were sold when we played in the PL, where they were surplus to requirement. If we offered 8 million pounds plus van Wolswinkel for Harry Kane we''d have made a massive deal.

We were 3 minutes from beating Rotherham away when down to 10 men against a team needing a win to survive galvanised by a big crowd and a firebrand manager. the players were knackered after playing an hour covering so much ground and to even have a chance of a win in that situation was pretty impressive.

We should go into the play offs with massive confidence, we actually are a good side and while there is no right to win every game we are putting ourselves in good positions. I have every faith in us doing well in the play offs, there is no guarantee but no one will want to meet us including M''Boro.

None of the names in the OP would have made much difference to us I don''t think, and sending Bassong to Watford may have been the best more anyway with his mental state, we have had him at the sharp end when really needed. Watford without Bassong have powered ahead of us remember since we were level with them a few weeks ago and worried about that slim goal difference.

I think we have done very well considering where we were when Adams left and we are on the up, the play offs will be amazing. Tense, but amazing.

Most of the points cited by the OP are too far removed from this season to be justified.

Perhaps one area where we have contributed to our own downfall was the Bassong loan to Watford (although perhaps not as much a factor as we feared at the time) or indeed just the general handling of the Bassong situation which saw us without our best defender for half the season.

The other massive area where we shot ourselves in the foot was of course appointing Neil Adams.

Still we are where we are. i still believe we have the best side in this division (including Watford and Bournemouth) so now they need to go and prove it over 3 games.

Hello Jim

I''m not so sure we do have the best squad in the division. And even if we do I''m completely sure that the best squad rarely provides the best team. But taking your assumption as fact who should we blame if we don''t go out and prove it in the playoffs?

Morning Nutty

Its all a matter of opinion isn;t it.

I think ultimately if we do not go up then the blame (in so much as any blame needs to be apportioned - perhaps better for us all to just move on now we''ve got a decent manager) rests in part with the board for the utterly appalling decision to appoint Adams and in part with the players. I think our team is the best in the league in the sense that if all teams played to the best of their ability we would beat anyone else. I don;t think mentally we are the best in the the league and I think our players overconfidence/concentration and at times a lack of genuine leadership has let us down in certain key games. Games where last time we got promoted certain Grant Holt used to drag the team over the line even when perhaps performances did not merit wins.

Its interesting to compare and contrast with Jerome. Jerome is a great player who probably is a better all round player than Holty and has overall done very well for us but in the last two games (and the home game v Derby) we have conceded goals where his defensive efforts have perhaps been questionable. I''m pretty convinced that had Holt been in the same positions Hendrick would not have been allowed to get anywhere near Ruddy, Adomah would not have been left on his own at the far post and there would have been more tracking back on display than occurred for Rotherham''s equaliser. I''m not saying all these goals were Jerome''s fault because they weren''t but its the leading from the front, work ethic that perhaps we have lacked a bit at times this season.

I believe we do have the best squad in the league. It''s what you do with it that counts.

Fergie didn''t have the best squad when he won his last title with United but he got the best out of what he had.

We have options for every position and different formations. All experienced players too.

I believed at the beginning of the season that playoffs would be a good achievement and I still believe so.

If you looked at the top two over the whole season, there are few times that one of Watford and Bournmouth aren''t in it. They have consistently been the best teams in this division and deserve their automatic promotion.

I feel that the Rotherham game was very indicative of our season overall in that we were almost there, but just not quite good enough.

We''ve made mistakes, we''ve got things wrong, but with Alex Neil now in charge we seem to fail fast and learn from our wrongdoings.

We''ve achieved the minimum that we set out for at the beginning of the season and I for one have enjoyed it overall. Now let''s hope for a playoff win, a trip to Wembley, and a joyful close season of transfer activity.

That''s interesting Jim. I don''t think blame needs to be such a big part of support. In fact I would argue thatif the person you support is doing their best then blame isnt really a supporters option.

Anyway, if we miss out to blame it on the summer decisions if people believe we have the best squad in the division is ridiculous. You yourself said they have to prove they are the best in the playoffs. 2 of the best of what you believe are inferior squads aren''t even involved. Surely if what you believe is right those involved would only have themselves to blame.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]That''s interesting Jim. I don''t think blame needs to be such a big part of support. In fact I would argue thatif the person you support is doing their best then blame isnt really a supporters option.

Anyway, if we miss out to blame it on the summer decisions if people believe we have the best squad in the division is ridiculous. You yourself said they have to prove they are the best in the playoffs. 2 of the best of what you believe are inferior squads aren''t even involved. Surely if what you believe is right those involved would only have themselves to blame.[/quote]

Its not ridiculous. We have a squad that i think needs strong leadership because we perhaps lack the sort of strong presence in the dressing room Holt provided previously. I think the players are all trying their best.

We now have strong leadership from Neil and we''ve accumulated points under him at a rate that would have seen us gain about 100 points over the season.

The reason we are in the playoffs rather than having finished top 2 is because of the ridiculous Adams appointment. If we miss out now it will just be because the playoffs are a lottery where an off day or a dodgy decision or an individual error can cost you.

Jim, so you saying they need to prove how much better they are in the playoffs is setting them up to fail because you don''t believe those games depend on who is the best team.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Jim, so you saying they need to prove how much better they are in the playoffs is setting them up to fail because you don''t believe those games depend on who is the best team.[/quote]

They do but clearly there is more scope for an individual game (or perhaps a two legged tie) to be swayed by an on pitch error or a refereeing decision than there is a 46 game season. For the same reason if we get the sc*m I hope its in a 2 legged semi final rather than the final because I think over two legs our superior quality would be more likely to prevail whereas in a one off game we would be more susceptible to a shock defeat.

Neil Adams didn''t do quite as bad as some naysayers will have you believe.

Still, they can always claim they were ''right'' from the beginning and revel in Adams'' departure to prove they were right.