Sign in to follow this  
River End Canary

Alex Neil

I have been highly critical of the managers appointed since the Messiah was forced out the club

In terms of his vision, his ethos I think he maybe finally a suitable successor.

What I was impressed about against Cardiff was we were under massive pressure at 3 - 2 instead of going defensive we put on Wes and Murphy. A messiah move if I ever seen it.

Early days but I am encouraged

Yes, I too think it was a good selection and take issue with a small band on here who see it as a repeat bad decision following on from the Adams debacle. They again cite total inexperience as the reason why the appointment is so bad.

I could not agree more with their thoughts as far as Adams was concerned but could not agree much less as far as AN goes. One had absolutely zero experience of managing a team (other than boys and youth football) whereas the other has had a very successful time these past two years.

There is little doubt that had McNally not got in when he did, it would have been no time at all before some other team would have been knocking on the Hamilton door. Such was the reputation his experience was attracting. Did we similarly have to act quickly to thwart others when we appointed Adams? Of course not.

Another thing strikes me when listening to the early doors critics of the AN appointment, the advocates of an experienced journeyman. Yes, there were probably a few around who could demonstrate success at this level but most of those individuals would also have been able to balance that with periods of abject failure. Our new man is on the up, no negatives to haunt him.

I enjoy keeping an eye on the managers and can do this quite well from my seat. Contrast AN''s last half hour on the Southampton touchline with the performance of Adams when things when going wrong. One was up taking control, the other sunk back into anonymity. And this contrast traces back to their playing careers where one was an extremely demonstrative captain, the other, again fairly quiet and anonymous.

None of the plaudits directed towards AN give any guarantee of success over and above what Adams might have achieved but for me, there are at least grounds for optimism this time.

Another thing, those so-called experienced journeymen were out of work for a reason, they had all been sacked not that long ago.

I think it''s important to not get carried away with Alex. The changes he made were positive but he should have made them sooner.

That''s not a major criticism, but it was clear before the goals that changes were needed due to the pressure that was building against us.

[quote user="Canary Island"]I have been highly critical of the managers appointed since the Messiah was forced out the club In terms of his vision, his ethos I think he maybe finally a suitable successor. What I was impressed about against Cardiff was we were under massive pressure at 3 - 2 instead of going defensive we put on Wes and Murphy. A messiah move if I ever seen it. Early days but I am encouraged[/quote]

and the massed ranks breathe a collective sigh of relief...................