fresh blood ahead of Monday’s transfer window deadline - which will hold

the key to any exits.

“We will not let players go if it leaves us

weaker,” he said. “I don’t think we are in a position to do that. We

want to be as competitive as we can between now and the end of the

season and what I am not going to do is let a player walk out of the

door and have no-one lined up to take his place. That would be silly

from our point of view."

january s one thing, but you wont have any choice in the matter if we dont get promoted this season, we will be left with tesco value plastic cutlery if we dont go up

Well yes, if we don''t go up I would expect to lose Ruddy, Redmond, Howson, Tettey and maybe a few others. The one possible silver lining would be that it might give us a chance to bring through the younger players- Rudd, Murphy twins, Toffolo, McGeehan etc.

To a certain extent we did that last Summer in selling Snoddy and Fer (and possibly Pilkington.)Does anybody now doubt that if we still had these three on board that we would now be in a more challenging position, especially as most of the purchases made with that money have not come off. With second tier football and a reduction in wages, it is however surprising we held on to the rest ----- for good or bad.This Voo is the biggest disappointment due to injury. I suppose he was supposed to fill the gap left by Fer. A left sided midfielder/winger has yet to be found, although it''s about time McGrandles was slotted into that midfield in whatever is his preferred position.It''s a bit of a hotch-potch atm, to say the least. Neil has a tough job, at least he talks tough.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]To a certain extent we did that last Summer in selling Snoddy and Fer (and possibly Pilkington.)Does anybody now doubt that if we still had these three on board that we would now be in a more challenging position, especially as most of the purchases made with that money have not come off. [/quote]

Yes.  A selfish Snoddy, a non-battling Fer and an often injured Pilkington we did well to sell on at the money we did.  Our new players may not have come on yet for whatever reason, but the potential is there in droves there now - and if we don''t go up this season, we will see it come to fruition in time. I''m a bit more disappointed we  haven''t still got Adeyemi and Korey Smith than the three you mentioned tbh.

My point was: "Does any body really doubt that if we hadn''t have sold these three that we would now be in a more challenging position?"I don''t. Clearly you do. We are way adrift from where most of us expected us to be at this stage of the Championship season.Whether we had to sell them or not, we will never know.

I can''t see how anyone can class Pilks as the family silver; I''d agree that he was for just about half a season, but then became more of a millstone around our necks.

There was no way Fer or Snod were going to stop with us upon relegation and IMO we did pretty well to only lose them; much has been made of NA signings but the combined fee for the 8-9 that came in was the same as those two and included several investments for the future.

True, BP, Pilkington was the only one I wasn''t unhappy to see the back of. His injury problems alone were enough, but he seemed to have a bad attitude towards the Club in the end.No doubt the sales of the other two were inevitable as well, but they do contrast with McNally''s assertions at the time that we did not have to sell any player and also with Alex Neil''s tough words that started this thread.We all know a club cannot hang on to an unhappy player, but there are ways to make them happier if they are considered essential to the cause. Perhaps neither Snodgrass nor Fer were viewed in this way, but my point was that we would likely be in a stronger position in this league now with both still playing for us, and what is our one and only aim for this season? We have been told ad nauseum that we had the cash and hopefully still do despite a lot being squandered during and over the Neil Adams experiment.

I think the article actually infers that players may leave in this window, but only if Alex Neil can replace them.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]To a certain extent we did that last Summer in selling Snoddy and Fer (and possibly Pilkington.)Does anybody now doubt that if we still had these three on board that we would now be in a more challenging position, especially as most of the purchases made with that money have not come off. With second tier football and a reduction in wages, it is however surprising we held on to the rest ----- for good or bad.This Voo is the biggest disappointment due to injury. I suppose he was supposed to fill the gap left by Fer. A left sided midfielder/winger has yet to be found, although it''s about time McGrandles was slotted into that midfield in whatever is his preferred position.It''s a bit of a hotch-potch atm, to say the least. Neil has a tough job, at least he talks tough.[/quote]Nope. I think Neil Adams was spot on to sell Fer, Snoddy and to an extent, Pilkington.He inherited a team with only two experienced strikers in Hooper and RVW, the latter wanted away as well. A decent strike force at this time costs money.£10million for Fer is a good deal in my books. He is a good player on  his day but that wasn''t often enough for us and it may not be often enough for QPR either if they don''t stay up. And the thing is, if they get relegated and he wants to move on again - they won''t be making as much on him as we did.Snodgrass is a similar case. Often caught moaning last season. Holding onto the ball too long. We also had Redmond and Bennett who could play there as well. Again, we got a good deal when we sold him.Pilkington is probably the one I regret selling the most. Injuries aside, when he played in the premier league we looked like we had a winger that could link up well with the strikers. I always felt he could do a good job as a withdrawn striker or in the hole like Wes. It was also a bit stranger than the other sales as we didn''t get a great amount for him and he left us short on the left hand side. That said, I believe he wanted away - and in those circumstances there isn''t a lot you can do.Surman is very much the same as Pilkington really. He wanted the move to Bournemouth. I think Adams wanted to keep him. Another classy player with the ball. Far better than Fox IMHO. Again, at this level, would have more than done a job for us with intelligent play and passing. Bournemouth got a good deal with him.