Sign in to follow this  
Buh

That you think sacking Adams will change everything

[quote user="portman_king"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="portman_king"][quote user="ron obvious"]"I definitely think there''s an element that the players'' collective hearts aren''t in it. Although Adams is a rookie he''s only got the players at his disposal to choose from. Admittedly his defensive recruitment looks poor and he''s signed a couple of attack-minded journeymen, but the nucleus of the squad that got relegated is still not at the races. It needs gutting and replenishing with fresh blood throughout the spine of the team." Although it pains me to agree, there''s a lot of truth there. There''s a distinct lack of determination throughout the team, no real strength of character. I do, however, believe there is a strong element of luck running against us. We had some outrageously lucky results early on, which gave the team some confidence - but only of a nervy, shallow variety, which melted as soon as our luck turned. We seem to go out every week, look good for a while, the opposition have one attack, score, & we immediately run out of ideas. Also, we were an unknown quantity in September, more astute managers can now see how to negate us - & now our confidence is so low, how to beat us. It''s a horribly vicious circle. I also wonder if the psychological battering the team took in the Prem has had an effect; what''s the point of getting promoted to a level beyond you? Not consciously, but I bet it''s in there somewhere. Perhaps signing someone like Jerome, despite being plenty good enough for the Champs, is a bad idea when he knows failure awaits at the next level.[/quote]Nail on head, my friend.Jerome has tried and failed at Prem level (largely) and won''t have the appetite to get back there compared to someone who''s on an upward curve.Possibly a reason why Town are doing so well ATM, given that we have a lot of players itching to test themselves at a higher level, whereas your players view this level as a depressing grind.[/quote]

The only ones testing themselves at a higher level will be the ones you have to sell to service your debt.

[/quote]

Possibly so, that will inevitably happen if we don''t go up this year. Although the backbone of our team is secured on long term deals so I have confidence in Mick to find suitable replacements.

[/quote]

You won;t go up this year because fundamentally your team is very average. Kudos to McCarthy for getting you to where he has done in the table. he certainly knows how to grind out results and make the best of what he has at his disposal but I believe over the course of a season quality will tell. That quality could be ours if we bite the bullet and get rid of Adams now but if not then it will be Derby, Middlesbrough and possibly Watford. They are the only teams i''ve seen this season who look vaguely decent and the frustrating thing is even they don''t look that good. Such a wasted opportunity if we persist with Adams.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="portman_king"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="portman_king"][quote user="ron obvious"]"I definitely think there''s an element that the players'' collective hearts aren''t in it. Although Adams is a rookie he''s only got the players at his disposal to choose from. Admittedly his defensive recruitment looks poor and he''s signed a couple of attack-minded journeymen, but the nucleus of the squad that got relegated is still not at the races. It needs gutting and replenishing with fresh blood throughout the spine of the team." Although it pains me to agree, there''s a lot of truth there. There''s a distinct lack of determination throughout the team, no real strength of character. I do, however, believe there is a strong element of luck running against us. We had some outrageously lucky results early on, which gave the team some confidence - but only of a nervy, shallow variety, which melted as soon as our luck turned. We seem to go out every week, look good for a while, the opposition have one attack, score, & we immediately run out of ideas. Also, we were an unknown quantity in September, more astute managers can now see how to negate us - & now our confidence is so low, how to beat us. It''s a horribly vicious circle. I also wonder if the psychological battering the team took in the Prem has had an effect; what''s the point of getting promoted to a level beyond you? Not consciously, but I bet it''s in there somewhere. Perhaps signing someone like Jerome, despite being plenty good enough for the Champs, is a bad idea when he knows failure awaits at the next level.[/quote]Nail on head, my friend.Jerome has tried and failed at Prem level (largely) and won''t have the appetite to get back there compared to someone who''s on an upward curve.Possibly a reason why Town are doing so well ATM, given that we have a lot of players itching to test themselves at a higher level, whereas your players view this level as a depressing grind.[/quote]

The only ones testing themselves at a higher level will be the ones you have to sell to service your debt.

[/quote]

Possibly so, that will inevitably happen if we don''t go up this year. Although the backbone of our team is secured on long term deals so I have confidence in Mick to find suitable replacements.

[/quote]

You won;t go up this year because fundamentally your team is very average. Kudos to McCarthy for getting you to where he has done in the table. he certainly knows how to grind out results and make the best of what he has at his disposal but I believe over the course of a season quality will tell. That quality could be ours if we bite the bullet and get rid of Adams now but if not then it will be Derby, Middlesbrough and possibly Watford. They are the only teams i''ve seen this season who look vaguely decent and the frustrating thing is even they don''t look that good. Such a wasted opportunity if we persist with Adams.[/quote]Burnley weren''t the second best team on paper but as a collective they were, and they had a mean defence and a couple of goalscorers. Very similar to ourselves. I''m not saying we''re nailed on but we''ve got a better chance than you guys simply because we''re consistent. 1 defeat in 14 in the Championship is outstanding.But, as we discussed earlier this morning it could all change, so we just need to take each game as it comes.

[quote user="portman_king"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="portman_king"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="portman_king"][quote user="ron obvious"]"I definitely think there''s an element that the players'' collective hearts aren''t in it. Although Adams is a rookie he''s only got the players at his disposal to choose from. Admittedly his defensive recruitment looks poor and he''s signed a couple of attack-minded journeymen, but the nucleus of the squad that got relegated is still not at the races. It needs gutting and replenishing with fresh blood throughout the spine of the team." Although it pains me to agree, there''s a lot of truth there. There''s a distinct lack of determination throughout the team, no real strength of character. I do, however, believe there is a strong element of luck running against us. We had some outrageously lucky results early on, which gave the team some confidence - but only of a nervy, shallow variety, which melted as soon as our luck turned. We seem to go out every week, look good for a while, the opposition have one attack, score, & we immediately run out of ideas. Also, we were an unknown quantity in September, more astute managers can now see how to negate us - & now our confidence is so low, how to beat us. It''s a horribly vicious circle. I also wonder if the psychological battering the team took in the Prem has had an effect; what''s the point of getting promoted to a level beyond you? Not consciously, but I bet it''s in there somewhere. Perhaps signing someone like Jerome, despite being plenty good enough for the Champs, is a bad idea when he knows failure awaits at the next level.[/quote]

Nail on head, my friend.

Jerome has tried and failed at Prem level (largely) and won''t have the appetite to get back there compared to someone who''s on an upward curve.

Possibly a reason why Town are doing so well ATM, given that we have a lot of players itching to test themselves at a higher level, whereas your players view this level as a depressing grind.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote] You won;t go up this year because fundamentally your team is very average. Kudos to McCarthy for getting you to where he has done in the table. he certainly knows how to grind out results and make the best of what he has at his disposal but I believe over the course of a season quality will tell. That quality could be ours if we bite the bullet and get rid of Adams now but if not then it will be Derby, Middlesbrough and possibly Watford. They are the only teams i''ve seen this season who look vaguely decent and the frustrating thing is even they don''t look that good. Such a wasted opportunity if we persist with Adams.[/quote]

Burnley weren''t the second best team on paper but as a collective they were, and they had a mean defence and a couple of goalscorers. Very similar to ourselves. I''m not saying we''re nailed on but we''ve got a better chance than you guys simply because we''re consistent. 1 defeat in 14 in the Championship is outstanding.

But, as we discussed earlier this morning it could all change, so we just need to take each game as it comes.
[/quote]

Yes, you are consistent, consistently in The Championship.

[quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="portman_king"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="portman_king"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

[/quote] You won;t go up this year because fundamentally your team is very average. Kudos to McCarthy for getting you to where he has done in the table. he certainly knows how to grind out results and make the best of what he has at his disposal but I believe over the course of a season quality will tell. That quality could be ours if we bite the bullet and get rid of Adams now but if not then it will be Derby, Middlesbrough and possibly Watford. They are the only teams i''ve seen this season who look vaguely decent and the frustrating thing is even they don''t look that good. Such a wasted opportunity if we persist with Adams.[/quote]Burnley weren''t the second best team on paper but as a collective they were, and they had a mean defence and a couple of goalscorers. Very similar to ourselves. I''m not saying we''re nailed on but we''ve got a better chance than you guys simply because we''re consistent. 1 defeat in 14 in the Championship is outstanding.But, as we discussed earlier this morning it could all change, so we just need to take each game as it comes.[/quote]

Yes, you are consistent, consistently in The Championship.

[/quote]10/10 for observations.

Sacking a manager is a risk - but everyone knows it''s a results business. Is it more of a risk to stick or twist in any given set of circumstances? That''s the question you have to ask. Looking at our recent results, I would argue now is the time to change. It can payoff to stick with a manager - Pardew has turned things around...for now anyway - but the rot appears set-in for us. It all depends on ensuring we get someone better to fill the hotseat. Sacking Hughton was the right decision in most people''s minds, but it came too late. Appointing Adams was not a calculated risk...it was huge gamble that doesn''t appear to have paid off. It will be a risk if Adams bites the bullet but it all comes down to reducing the gamble. If we went for people like Sherwood and Phelan we are taking a big risk and probably repeating mistakes of the past. So if we want someone decent we have to stop pi$$ing about and go after them and paid a high salary to get someone with a proven record. We are still an attractive proposition but we don''t want out stock to depreciate further...with Adams that appears the way it''s going.  

[quote user="portman_king"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="portman_king"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You won;t go up this year because fundamentally your team is very average. Kudos to McCarthy for getting you to where he has done in the table. he certainly knows how to grind out results and make the best of what he has at his disposal but I believe over the course of a season quality will tell. That quality could be ours if we bite the bullet and get rid of Adams now but if not then it will be Derby, Middlesbrough and possibly Watford. They are the only teams i''ve seen this season who look vaguely decent and the frustrating thing is even they don''t look that good. Such a wasted opportunity if we persist with Adams.[/quote]Burnley weren''t the second best team on paper but as a collective they were, and they had a mean defence and a couple of goalscorers. Very similar to ourselves. I''m not saying we''re nailed on but we''ve got a better chance than you guys simply because we''re consistent. 1 defeat in 14 in the Championship is outstanding.But, as we discussed earlier this morning it could all change, so we just need to take each game as it comes.[/quote]

I don;t think you do have a better chance than us because we''ve got significantly better players and even with our current manager at the helm I think we will pick up at some point, probably when Bennett and Hoolahan come back into the side. You lot are on the crest of a wave at present and rightly so but you will have a dip soon.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="portman_king"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="portman_king"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You won;t go up this year because fundamentally your team is very average. Kudos to McCarthy for getting you to where he has done in the table. he certainly knows how to grind out results and make the best of what he has at his disposal but I believe over the course of a season quality will tell. That quality could be ours if we bite the bullet and get rid of Adams now but if not then it will be Derby, Middlesbrough and possibly Watford. They are the only teams i''ve seen this season who look vaguely decent and the frustrating thing is even they don''t look that good. Such a wasted opportunity if we persist with Adams.[/quote]Burnley weren''t the second best team on paper but as a collective they were, and they had a mean defence and a couple of goalscorers. Very similar to ourselves. I''m not saying we''re nailed on but we''ve got a better chance than you guys simply because we''re consistent. 1 defeat in 14 in the Championship is outstanding.But, as we discussed earlier this morning it could all change, so we just need to take each game as it comes.[/quote]

I don;t think you do have a better chance than us because we''ve got significantly better players and even with our current manager at the helm I think we will pick up at some point, probably when Bennett and Hoolahan come back into the side. You lot are on the crest of a wave at present and rightly so but you will have a dip soon.[/quote]I''m not really sure what basis you have for suggesting we''ll have a dip, considering our recent form and recent squad additions. Yes, we may well lose the odd game but I''ve never seen us this hard to beat and that''s including the Burley years. You may think you have significantly better players in terms of technique, but I''d back our players over a gruelling 46-game period than your lot.Bennett doesn''t appear to be offering much at Brighton ATM, but I will admit Hoolahan does offer a lot to you going forward - although the fact he''s so integral must worry you surely given the millions you''ve spent/spunked?

[quote user="portman_king"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="portman_king"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="portman_king"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don;t think you do have a better chance than us because we''ve got significantly better players and even with our current manager at the helm I think we will pick up at some point, probably when Bennett and Hoolahan come back into the side. You lot are on the crest of a wave at present and rightly so but you will have a dip soon.[/quote]I''m not really sure what basis you have for suggesting we''ll have a dip, considering our recent form and recent squad additions. Yes, we may well lose the odd game but I''ve never seen us this hard to beat and that''s including the Burley years. You may think you have significantly better players in terms of technique, but I''d back our players over a gruelling 46-game period than your lot.Bennett doesn''t appear to be offering much at Brighton ATM, but I will admit Hoolahan does offer a lot to you going forward - although the fact he''s so integral must worry you surely given the millions you''ve spent/spunked?[/quote]

Ryan Bennett not Elliott. He will be crucial because he is incredibly good in the air and a strong physical defender which is something we have lacked., It will hopefully also see Russell Martin back to right back where he is much better.

Wes being important does not worry me. It t''was ever thus. He was one of our best players in the premier league (despite being ignored at times by Hughton) and he will be again this season once fit and if not played left bl**dy wing.

Time will tell in terms of who comes out on top. It will be close i think if we stick with Adams. If we don''t then as i have said i expect us to improve significantly. These players we have are not a bunch of premadonnas and we are not being outbattled. I don;t think there is a lot wrong with their heart but confidence has certainly been dented and I don;t think they really have any faith in what they are being asked to do at the moment.

[quote user="portman_king"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="portman_king"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="portman_king"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="portman_king"][quote user="ron obvious"]"I definitely think there''s an element that the players'' collective hearts aren''t in it. Although Adams is a rookie he''s only got the players at his disposal to choose from. Admittedly his defensive recruitment looks poor and he''s signed a couple of attack-minded journeymen, but the nucleus of the squad that got relegated is still not at the races. It needs gutting and replenishing with fresh blood throughout the spine of the team." Although it pains me to agree, there''s a lot of truth there. There''s a distinct lack of determination throughout the team, no real strength of character. I do, however, believe there is a strong element of luck running against us. We had some outrageously lucky results early on, which gave the team some confidence - but only of a nervy, shallow variety, which melted as soon as our luck turned. We seem to go out every week, look good for a while, the opposition have one attack, score, & we immediately run out of ideas. Also, we were an unknown quantity in September, more astute managers can now see how to negate us - & now our confidence is so low, how to beat us. It''s a horribly vicious circle. I also wonder if the psychological battering the team took in the Prem has had an effect; what''s the point of getting promoted to a level beyond you? Not consciously, but I bet it''s in there somewhere. Perhaps signing someone like Jerome, despite being plenty good enough for the Champs, is a bad idea when he knows failure awaits at the next level.[/quote]

Nail on head, my friend.

Jerome has tried and failed at Prem level (largely) and won''t have the appetite to get back there compared to someone who''s on an upward curve.

Possibly a reason why Town are doing so well ATM, given that we have a lot of players itching to test themselves at a higher level, whereas your players view this level as a depressing grind.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote] You won;t go up this year because fundamentally your team is very average. Kudos to McCarthy for getting you to where he has done in the table. he certainly knows how to grind out results and make the best of what he has at his disposal but I believe over the course of a season quality will tell. That quality could be ours if we bite the bullet and get rid of Adams now but if not then it will be Derby, Middlesbrough and possibly Watford. They are the only teams i''ve seen this season who look vaguely decent and the frustrating thing is even they don''t look that good. Such a wasted opportunity if we persist with Adams.[/quote]

Burnley weren''t the second best team on paper but as a collective they were, and they had a mean defence and a couple of goalscorers. Very similar to ourselves. I''m not saying we''re nailed on but we''ve got a better chance than you guys simply because we''re consistent. 1 defeat in 14 in the Championship is outstanding.

But, as we discussed earlier this morning it could all change, so we just need to take each game as it comes.
[/quote] I don;t think you do have a better chance than us because we''ve got significantly better players and even with our current manager at the helm I think we will pick up at some point, probably when Bennett and Hoolahan come back into the side. You lot are on the crest of a wave at present and rightly so but you will have a dip soon.[/quote]

I''m not really sure what basis you have for suggesting we''ll have a dip, considering our recent form and recent squad additions. Yes, we may well lose the odd game but I''ve never seen us this hard to beat and that''s including the Burley years. You may think you have significantly better players in terms of technique, but I''d back our players over a gruelling 46-game period than your lot.

Bennett doesn''t appear to be offering much at Brighton ATM, but I will admit Hoolahan does offer a lot to you going forward - although the fact he''s so integral must worry you surely given the millions you''ve spent/spunked?
[/quote]

You don''t have these players for 46 games, they''re loanees, when they go back to their parent clubs you''ll be left with a wafer thin squad.

[quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="portman_king"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="portman_king"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="portman_king"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

[/quote] You won;t go up this year because fundamentally your team is very average. Kudos to McCarthy for getting you to where he has done in the table. he certainly knows how to grind out results and make the best of what he has at his disposal but I believe over the course of a season quality will tell. That quality could be ours if we bite the bullet and get rid of Adams now but if not then it will be Derby, Middlesbrough and possibly Watford. They are the only teams i''ve seen this season who look vaguely decent and the frustrating thing is even they don''t look that good. Such a wasted opportunity if we persist with Adams.[/quote]Burnley weren''t the second best team on paper but as a collective they were, and they had a mean defence and a couple of goalscorers. Very similar to ourselves. I''m not saying we''re nailed on but we''ve got a better chance than you guys simply because we''re consistent. 1 defeat in 14 in the Championship is outstanding.But, as we discussed earlier this morning it could all change, so we just need to take each game as it comes.[/quote] I don;t think you do have a better chance than us because we''ve got significantly better players and even with our current manager at the helm I think we will pick up at some point, probably when Bennett and Hoolahan come back into the side. You lot are on the crest of a wave at present and rightly so but you will have a dip soon.[/quote]I''m not really sure what basis you have for suggesting we''ll have a dip, considering our recent form and recent squad additions. Yes, we may well lose the odd game but I''ve never seen us this hard to beat and that''s including the Burley years. You may think you have significantly better players in terms of technique, but I''d back our players over a gruelling 46-game period than your lot.Bennett doesn''t appear to be offering much at Brighton ATM, but I will admit Hoolahan does offer a lot to you going forward - although the fact he''s so integral must worry you surely given the millions you''ve spent/spunked?[/quote]

You don''t have these players for 46 games, they''re loanees, when they go back to their parent clubs you''ll be left with a wafer thin squad.

[/quote]I think you''ll find the only loanee we currently have is Noel Hunt.

I had thought Adams would turn it round and that it is a case of tweaking rather than anything else, but I am getting very worried that there is something more fundamental there.

If there is even a thought of ditching Adams I would rather they do it now so a new man can come in, see the players and have January to bring some new defenders in.

But I am very sceptical that it will happen having just recruited MP. I think they''ll want to see how that works out. I remain worried but hopeful that this is like the Pardew situation where a few weeks ago the Geordies were desperate to see him gone.

But there is fault in all directions here: McNallay now appearing a sheep in wolf''s clothing, the owners for not taking stronger action and seemingly sanctioning the cosy option managerially, Adams for some peculiar decisions and the players themselves for many of the reasons given by others.

[quote user="portman_king"][quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="portman_king"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="portman_king"][quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="portman_king"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

[/quote] You won;t go up this year because fundamentally your team is very average. Kudos to McCarthy for getting you to where he has done in the table. he certainly knows how to grind out results and make the best of what he has at his disposal but I believe over the course of a season quality will tell. That quality could be ours if we bite the bullet and get rid of Adams now but if not then it will be Derby, Middlesbrough and possibly Watford. They are the only teams i''ve seen this season who look vaguely decent and the frustrating thing is even they don''t look that good. Such a wasted opportunity if we persist with Adams.[/quote]Burnley weren''t the second best team on paper but as a collective they were, and they had a mean defence and a couple of goalscorers. Very similar to ourselves. I''m not saying we''re nailed on but we''ve got a better chance than you guys simply because we''re consistent. 1 defeat in 14 in the Championship is outstanding.But, as we discussed earlier this morning it could all change, so we just need to take each game as it comes.[/quote] I don;t think you do have a better chance than us because we''ve got significantly better players and even with our current manager at the helm I think we will pick up at some point, probably when Bennett and Hoolahan come back into the side. You lot are on the crest of a wave at present and rightly so but you will have a dip soon.[/quote]I''m not really sure what basis you have for suggesting we''ll have a dip, considering our recent form and recent squad additions. Yes, we may well lose the odd game but I''ve never seen us this hard to beat and that''s including the Burley years. You may think you have significantly better players in terms of technique, but I''d back our players over a gruelling 46-game period than your lot.Bennett doesn''t appear to be offering much at Brighton ATM, but I will admit Hoolahan does offer a lot to you going forward - although the fact he''s so integral must worry you surely given the millions you''ve spent/spunked?[/quote]

[/quote]I think you''ll find the only loanee we currently have is Noel Hunt.[/quote]

And thats another thing you''ve got wrong.