Sign in to follow this  
Cantley

Isn't it ironic

Yep,that stand says it all about Ch@**`s supposed `ambition`. How silly does he look now people in their tens of thousands are desperate to watch City? We`re taking more to Wimbledon than our `Main Stand` holds!

Yea agreed...but they can put another level on the main stand if need be and can afford to..heard this last nite from Neil Doncaster.....

That`s interesting, i remember that being mentioned when people were up in arms over how small it was, but have since been told it was just one of the fat b******`s (thats FAT scousers!) usual smokescreens.
Did he really say the main stand,not the south? Did he say if he thought it would be expensive? I must admit a 2-tier main stand linking up the roofs of the Barclay and N+P stands sounds fantastic!

Regarding the future dev of Carrow Road this is what is on the cards, when the money/demand is available.

1) Corner infill between South Stand and River End - gives another 1800 or so seats - I think this is almost certain to happen if we''re promoted.

2) New tier on South Stand - foundations were made strong enough to support 12000 seats, so a new tier of 4000 is a possibility. Only likely if we get promoted and stay there for a while.

3) Hotel infill between Barclay and South Stand - last I heard was that a Ramada 5* was proposed that would link up with Delia''s catering facilities in the Barclay. This would not be an expense to the club as it would be external finance that would pay for it with the club earning ground rent and catering fees.

4) Re-dev of the current Main Stand. This, if it ever occurred, could take capacity to around 36000, but it is not likely in the short to medium term. A prolonged and successful run in the Prem would be needed - but there is no longer a shortage of space to rebuild as their was when the old main stand was torched - I mean - burned down - allegedly.

Not sure it''s if irony is the correct word but IT certainly adds to the debate that someones hould style himself Mr Carrow after posting such drivel.

There was a good reason for our ground being called Carrow Road. It had a road going past it. Barely 50 feet from the main stand.

Building regulations dictate how high a building can be - determined, in this case, by the height against the ground area covered. Perhaps the club should have ignored the highways authority and simply built on top of the road. Or may included a road tunnel through the stand.

If not ,just ignore the FA and built out onto the pitch. Would certainly have angered the fans in the parts of the River End and Barclay who would have found themselves staring at a brickwall. But why let reality to get in the way of ambition

Also the insurance company paid out on a replacement stand for the one that burnt down not on some idiotic fans definition of ''ambition''

If you want a more accurate usage of irony then look at how MrCarrow''s beration of Chase is set against the club being able to build a new stand because it owns the land behind.

Ironical, because our impoverished neighbours who, are held up(by themselves mostly) as models of financial probity, for years ignored any investment in the infrastructure and so finally had to lumber themselves with a massive loan to catch up.

A loan that will hang round them for a further 25 years and may well be one of the reasons they fold this summer.

The obvious counter to that is that the structure which err`burnt down` was much larger than the one which replaced it. Even allowing for the fact that regulations may have changed, Chase`s response to critics at the time was that another tier would be added if demand and finances were there, so the `couldnt build any higher` argument doesnt really ring true does it?

Im quite prepared to admit that the value of the land Chase acquired has given the club a considerable,if belated,boost. However, although you seem enamoured with the man im sure not even you would endow him with with the almost magical foresight to predict the amazing boom in land prices over the last few years?! And, although im almost incredulous at having to repeat this to a supposed NCFC fan, have you forgotten that the route taken to achieve this eventual reasonably-sized `golden egg`led to the club nearly going bust and-almost as importantly-alienated a huge percentage of the local football loving public?

The main argument against Chase was that if you have an ambitious,progressive,open and fan-friendly approach then you will attract more support/sponsorship, gain more goodwill and revenue,and get on an `upward spiral` rather than the decidedly downward path we were on after the post San-Siro debacle. I think events after his demise prove this argument totally correct.

By the way M.G., did you believe Chase`s often repeated mantra of "Norwich City only have a catchment area of 120,000"? Because if thats the case around 20% of them are now season-ticket holders!!!

A ground holding 36,000 might look attractive but is waste of money if you only get 24,000, sure things look rosy now and we might be able to sell 36,000 if we get into the Premiership, however it is questionable.

The question of the size of the City Stand never provoked issues before, if we get to the Premiership and stay for more than 2 seasons and look likely to become permanent fixtures the club might like to add a second tier, the cost remember will be the £10m (a conservative estimate plus loss of revenue of 6,000 (is it that many) for a whole season.

I fell it unlikely the club is going to be in a financial state to add the second tier in the short or medium term, or will even need to in order to accomodate new supporters, 26,000 seems to be an optimum figure.

I thought Chase purchased the Flour Mill at the bottom of Rouen Road, if I am wrong please correct me, but does anybody know what is going to be built on the site i.e. where old Kingsway pub used to be?

We should remember that, at the time of the fire, we could not fill our ground. Even when we were in the old first div and then the Premier, we would regularly only fill 3/4 of the ground, bar the odd game against the big boys. That''s probably why it wasn''t deemed necessary to build anything too big. At least we have the option of building another tier on boith sides of the pitch, which we will need if we are to maintain Premiership status once we get there. By all accounts you cannot survive on less then 30,000 supporters a game. Which is not beyond us, especially with 18,500 season ticket holders already!