Sign in to follow this  
chicken

Re: Forest Result

To be honest we just dont play to the time old saying once used for war " Attack is the best form of defence ". I think that Rivers coming off, and I have already been down on my knees to pray, was the turning point. When he is on the pitch that side of the field is strong not because of his defencive abilities but because of his pace and vision he can turn an opposition attack into a counter attack extremely quickly.

How many times has he been used as an outlet in counter attacks? How many long but quick runs have seen us out of trouble? The truth is with someone like him on the right wing the opposition left-back is more concerned with keeping him under wraps than getting involved with attacking just in case. When he comes off nowadays it seems almost straight awat that the opposition are able to push on down our right flank.

The left is also better because Easton has ofcourse improved although he didnt start tonight. And Drury likes to get involved in attacks also.

I think we should have stuck with our normal formation also, by changing formation we were basically giving in to the way they play. I would have played the same team that has scored the goals so far this season as that is what we desperately need.

Lets just hope that Rivers isnt injured to bad otherwise another goalscorer is out along with a goal oppertunity previder!

The basic facts are that but for idiotic mistakes by Robert Green and referee Lee Cable we would have got what we actually deserved.........at least a draw. Interesting to hear the TV pundits agreeing after the game that the final piece in City''s jigsaw for the season needs to bebe the acquisition of a proven goalscorer. Now where have I heard that before?!!

Why stick to a formation that wasn''t working? We lost to a mistake and a very lame penalty decision. Forest were just about the better side but we had our moments and but for the scalp of Michael Dawson and an impressive claw back from Darren Ward we could have come away with a point.

I think there''s a general lack of confidence away from home in the final third. We did a lot of good work to get up the pitch (it was also pleasing to see that we continued to try passing the ball even after we conceded, as supposed to the usual resorting to long ball) but the finishing lacked conviction.

I can''t pretend that I was happy with yesterday''s result, but it did give some positives to work on: Francis again looked good, Rivers was lively and Mulryne''s passing was crisp and I think was helped by Francis constantly bombing forward to create a target for his passes. Elvis was prepared to stick his face where others wouldn''t stick anything, and he looks hungry and desperate to score. Hopefully a goal isn''t too far away for him, and then I think he''d really be a serious option for a season-long loan. Let''s face it, we can''t buy a 20-goal striker, so we''ve got to loan one from the Prem.

As for Rivers, Sky Sports reported that he went straight from the game to hospital for X-Rays, and has reportedly broken his big toe, meaning probably a couple of months out. Here''s hoping Notman''s somewhere near match fitness...

I only watched it on telly, but having gone to the previous 4 away games at Forest, i have got to say that is the best we have ever played there. The tactics worked, we had enough shots on and off target to have got at least a point and in my view it was never a penalty. That brings me to the blooper by Green, i don`t like knocking him because we all know he is a top keeper , i forgave him for the error at Derby, but last night it not only knocked the stuffing out of the team, that up to that point had worked their socks off, but it should never have happened , at every game every week a keeper looks all around him before putting the ball down, it was a very poor peice of goalkeeping, a very basic mistake . Right i`ve got that off my chest , apart from that and the soft penalty we gave a very good account of ourselves and if we can play like that at every away game then we may have a chance of a top 6 finish . I only hope the board will give Worthy the funds to strenghen what is now becomming a weakened squad with all these injuries, and is Roberts injured, they said after the the game he had pulled a hamstring i think thats what i heard but he did`nt seem to be in any pain when leaving the field.

Living in nottingham and supporting norwich is a major pain in the ass at this time of year. The main difference between the two teams was that forest rarely gave the ball away where norwich can give the ball away for england. Also most teams could probably mark roberts with their eyes closed these days ''cos he''s just been around in this division too long. Chance for chance we were equal to forest but green''s clanger (when you''ve just been telling everyone in nottingham how great he is) and then the penalty decision took the wind out of the sails. Norwich are 12th at the moment, i think that come the end of the season that''s where they will still be.

It was just the same away performance we have turned in for the last few seasons.

We have a complete lack of creativity in the final third. our attacks are so predictable, long range efforts or high balls to Roberts, and Dawson dealt with them all day.
Our only plus points were mcveigh when he got out wide and whipped in some wicked crosses and some powerful runs from Francis.
Elvis looked okay, reminded me a bit of david nielsen, put himself out and tried but not the answer to our goalscoring problems.

But there''s just nothing to be really encouraged about, it wasn''t a great Forest performance and maybe we deserved something, but to be honest we never looked like scoring.

we need two strikers, mcveigh on the right while rivers is out, stop playing that formation because the midfield was non existent. It was like an attack and a defence and no midfield.

Malky looks done, Johnson and harewood slaughtered him. Edworthy looks incapable of doing anything going forward and we should sell mulyrne because he''s nowhere near as good as he thinks he is. He''s like a poor man''s veron, just doesn''t fit.

sadly nothing changes

I''ve become rather annoyed with the generally negative tone of most of these posts. While not trying to look through rose-tinted glasses - in fact I had to wear highly tinted glasses on Saturday to keep the sun out of my eyes - I thought that our performance on Saturday was a huge improvement on Sheff U, not to mention last year''s Forest game. The game hinged on two turning points: Green''s gaff and the penalty. From Forest''s point of view they couldn''t have come at better times. In the first case we''d ridden Forest''s initial attacks and had begun to put together some decent moves, not just knocking long to Roberts or beyond but actually holding on to the ball, looking for options, and bringing other players into play. We''d had the best chance of the game when Dawson just managed to get his head to, I think, Rivers'' header. We were knocked back at crucial moments in the game by Forest''s goals - a schoolboy error and highly debatable penalty. We also lost Rivers at a time when we were at least matching Forest. From a more critical point of view I thought Worthy put out the best team but didn''t play the right formation. I would have gone for a 4-5-1 formation with Rivers and McVeigh wide on their respective wings but prepared to come inside when necessary and Holt, Francis and Mulryne in central midfield. Because Rivers was often accompnaying Roberts through the middle we were too light on the right. Of course, this is all rather academic now as, presumably, Rivers is out for few weeks - I would give Henderson a run on the right and see how he fares - and Roberts can''t last the distance so we still need a striker who can hold the ball up (Dublin for a season? any alternatives?).