Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Lets all keep calm!.

Now you all know my position on Worthy, I think he''s bloody useless!.

But, I feel at this time, calling for his head would be wrong. Why?. What''s done is done, history, and no amount of bickering by us will change that now.

Wounds and pride must have time to heal, yes?.

So with this mind, I am prepared to give him the first 10-12 games next season, before I kick off moaning about him, unless Hucks is sold that is!. 

I think we all should do this now, as getting back to the prem, must now become our number 1 priority, and I promise you, that won''t be as easy as some of you seem to think!.

So, lets lick our wounds, consolidate and however much you don''t feel like it (like me) back Worthy big time for the first 10 games or so. If no big improvement occurs, I''ll be firmly rejoining the anti Worthy brigade!.

I agree. We need to review things in 15 games.

However there are things he must do over the summer which will tell us whether he has learnt much.

1. Francis has to go. Now Holt is not up to Prem standard but at least he tries b****y hard. I fear that Francis has looked more and more slack and is a major reason why we get outplayed in midfield. He stands off, makes few tackles and doesn''t close men down. His attitude is wrong- I have no idea why its got like this but we need workers in there.

2. Ashton must stay. If he goes we will be really up against it. He alone could terrorise Championship defenders and will be as talismanic as Hux was last time.

3. The defence needs total rebuilding. In fact I would go so far as to say that they should all go bar Charlton (for left back) and Shackell. The defence (with considerable help from the midfield) got us relegated- Worthy must admit its rubbish and start from scratch.

4. Leader. We need one. No Iwan, no Malky, no figurehead. Make Deano captain or someone who will stand there and shake some fists.

5. Bentley- perhaps not robust enough for the Prem but would he come back on an extended loan? I feel that he will also be a major threat in the Championship.

TW.

Should Drury go as well then Tumbleweed?  He was quality last season in the ist Division but not quite made the step up IMO.  I think he should stay along with Shacks and Charlton IF he is played in his proper position.

I was in two minds about him (Drury). On balance I thought he should go too as I feel Charlton is a better left back and I have seen Drury get licked too many times. However if in the interests of minimising disruption he stays then it would not be a disaster. Possible back up for Charlie if the latter needs to fill in at centre back because of injuries.

[quote]I was in two minds about him (Drury). On balance I thought he should go too as I feel Charlton is a better left back and I have seen Drury get licked too many times. However if in the interests of min...[/quote]

I agree that wothy is now in the prove you can do period of his tenure - how he handles the squad re-shaping over the summer and those first 15 games are key - outside the top 7(?) after 15 gams would give me great cause for concern even in a slog of a competitive league.

However I am not sure about wholesale changes to the defence - understanding and positioning as a important as ability - the flem malky patnership was better than the two parts individually. 

We do need a right back and a partner for shacks, although pairing shacks and doc with charlie in the background is a viable option in my books.  My preference is for a newer younger partner though.  

Drury has performed well enough bearing in mind his over exposure from worthys insistence of having Hux as a wide midfielder.  Next season will not be so key as opponents are so scared of Hux that Drury wont have the same pressure and he is excellent at that level.  I would stick with him ahead of Charlie at left back mainly due to charlies age - I feel we should be looking to the future next year rather than picking 33/34 year olds on a week in week out basis.

OTBC

Worthy has made mistakes this season. But he, and his coaching staff, have proven that they can learn and adapt to the unexpected, and even admit when mistakes were made.

He is undoubtedly a better manager than the Nigel Worthington who won promotion with Norwich City 12 months ago. He must stay. And he must also bring in a new defensive coach over the summer!!

What happened to Charlie?
He was easily our best defender at the start of the season, then he was switched to left back for a couple, but never really performed, then lost his place and never made it back again. Was he injured during that time? Why the hell was he not put back in the middle with Shacks?

Massive mistake IMO to have left Flem in there all season. I was watching the defence closely yesterday and there was no organising from him. Holt was often marking the same man as a defender too, which left a Fulham midfielder with all the space in the World. Jonson had obviously been told to push up as he left Malbranque (spell?) for Flem alot, but with Holt holding back it did us no good Jonson being forward and gave us more problems in defence.

If Helveg was to stay, then he should be captain with Shacks, the Doc and Drury and/or Charlie for either the Doc or Drury. Eddy would be good cover for Helveg in the Champ, but Flemming has to go.

The last six weeks have been a magnificent turn around.  Who would have thought it would have gone to the last day - and NCFC in control? 

I still can''t get over the devasting result tho

I hope Ashton doesn''t go.  Francis has been disappointing.  Green will go.  Helveg will probably go.  Svensson too.

I think we will have a good Championship side, but what happens IF and when we go back up?

[quote]Worthy has made mistakes this season. But he, and his coaching staff, have proven that they can learn and adapt to the unexpected, and even admit when mistakes were made. He is undoubtedly a better m...[/quote]

Not sure that I can agree with you on your first comment Ark about Worthy''s ability to learn and adapt. He might learn but I''m not convinced he knows how to adapt.Several posters have already noted that an alternative substitution for Sunday would have been Jonson for Safri when it was clear that:a) City would have to chase the game;b) Safri was injured.However, Worthy stuck to his formulaic 4-4-2 with a holding midfield player.Only time will tell in the off-season as to whether he has the ability to identify his teams weaknesses and address those weaknesses. Clearly a more sturdy back four and a restructured midfield with players who are prepared to wear the yellow and green with pride is needed. Does he have the awareness and knowledge to fix the things that are broken? Not sure.The personal alienation of players may end up being costly to him. It''s a team game and in the Premiership it is more of a squad game than the Championship. He really does have to accept that and learn to deal with his "troublesome" players with a little more aplomb. Leaving decent players on the shelf because he''s fallen out with them doesn''t cut it....

[quote]Deano for captain is a great idea. He''s definately got what it takes.[/quote]

i honestly think shackell is the right man for the job

I have no idea why Shacks and Doc wasn''t played together once.I remember when Doc played in Defence we tighten up slighty and he looked a good player. He is a ROI international for pitys sake!!We let too many goals in and i can count on one hand the number of good games Flemming played this season.

[quote]Not sure that I can agree with you on your first comment Ark about Worthy''s ability to learn and adapt. He might learn but I''m not convinced he knows how to adapt.Several posters have already noted th...[/quote]

Some fair points made Morph, but the Safri substitution??? Are you seriously suggesting that Jonson could have single-handedly changed the outcome of Sunday''s game? Unlikely. To me he''s proven very little this season. And are you suggesting that a lacklustre and uncommited Damien Francis would have held his own all alone in the centre?

Adapting? Quickly? Maybe not. It takes him a while to make major changes in the first team. But at the end of the day he''s ended up ringing pretty much all of the changes called for (Fleming being the only exception as far as I know).

However, I personally see him as a top-notch man manager. He''s able to attract the right players to the club (a number have sited him and the coaching setup as a reason for joining), and I think his line has generally been firm-but-fair. Acceptable in my view. To my knowledge, the only time that Worthy has omitted a player based on misdemeanors off the pitch this season was Bentley, which I personally agreed with. If you let players misbehave, in time you will lose respect from all quarters. We can''t judge what goes on behind the scenes based only on hearsay alone.